See More on Facebook

Politics

Malaysia court rules no proof of US$3.7 billion loss by 1MDB

Malaysia court rules no wrongdoing by ruling party.


Written by

Updated: April 10, 2018

Malaysia’s High Court on Monday (April 9) ruled that there was no evidence that showed the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) state fund suffered losses of US$3.7 billion (S$4.8 billion).

The court also ruled that there was no proof of misconduct by members of the company’s board of directors.

Judge Datuk Nik Hasmat Nik Mohamad also said the Attorney-General and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) had already previously stated that Prime Minister Najib Razak was not involved in the scandal involving 1MDB.

She made the ruling after allowing an application by Datuk Seri Najib and 13 members of the 1MDB Board of Directors, as well as two others, to dismiss a suit by a former senator, Mohamad Ezam Mohd Nor against them over the alleged loss incurred by the company.

She also said Mohamad Ezam had no locus standi to file the suit. In the judgment, she said the court found that Mohamad Ezam, in his affidavit-in-reply, stated that he was not a member of the 1MDB board of directors or a share holder in the company nor had any interests in 1MDB.

Datuk Nik Hasmat said the court also found that there was no cause of reasonable action in the claim by Mohamad Ezam and that the suit was petty, an inconvenience and an abuse of the court process.

“Therefore, the court strikes out the suit filed by the plaintiff  against all the defendants and orders the plaintiff to pay costs of RM63,000  to all the defendants,” she said.

Mr Najib filed the application to dismiss the suit on July 12, 2017, on the grounds that Mohamad Ezam, as president of the Parti Bebas Rasuah party, had no locus standi to file the suit.

Besides Mr Najib, who was named the first defendant, members of 1MDB’s board of directors also filed an application to dismiss the suit.

In the statement of claim, Mohamad Ezam contended that the US$6.5 billion loan which 1MDB secured with the help of Goldman Sachs International Ltd should have been deposited into the company s account.

Instead, he said, the defendants had negligently allowed US$3.657 billion of the amount to go to unauthorised parties.

He had sought for all the defendants to bear the losses and reimburse the US$3.657 billion to 1MDB with interest, cost and other relief deemed fit by the court.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

West Papua and its troubled history with Indonesia

Recent riots and protests are just symptoms of long simmering ethnic tensions. Protests have broken out in the Indonesian province of West Papua with a local parliament being set alight and buildings torched in Sorong, the province’s largest city. The protests, involving hundreds of people, occurred throughout the province on Wednesday with buildings set on fire, including a prison where 250 inmates escaped, and rocks and projectiles thrown at security forces. The protests erupted, in part, because of the detention of ethnic Papuan students in the Indonesian city of Surabaya over accusations that they had desecrated the Indonesian flag on its national day. But long running ethnic tensions between the native West Papuans and the Indonesian central government have plagued the province since it was incorporated into Indonesia in the 1960s. A colonial legacy After the


By Cod Satrusayang
August 23, 2019

Politics

Fresh clashes in Hong Kong protests

Hong Kong protesters clash with police, angry at lack of prosecutions after July subway mob attack. Thousands of jeering Hong Kong residents held a raucous anti-government protest on Wednesday (Aug 21) at a suburban subway station that was attacked by a mob last month, angry that nobody has yet been prosecuted for the violence. Some masked protesters clashed with police in the sub-tropical heat, spraying fire extinguishers from the inside of Yuen Long station as others smeared the floor with cooking oil to stop the police advancing. Some demonstrators blocked station exits and sealed roads outside the station, aiming green laser beams at the lines of shield-bearing officers. Others threw empty fire extinguishers at police lines from overpasses. It was the latest in a series of demonstrations, which have sometimes turned violent, since June against a perceived erosion


By The Straits Times
August 22, 2019

Politics

Nearly two million rally peacefully in Hong Kong

Government says while rally is generally peaceful, traffic disrupted. Protesters gathered at the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Forces Hong Kong Building in Central, as well as the Central Government Complex next to it on Sunday night (Aug 18). This followed an earlier peaceful march from Victoria Park in Causeway Bay to Chater Garden in Central despite a police ban. Some protesters, however, turned their laser pointers on the government offices. Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters lingered on Harcourt Road, prompting police to issue a warning for them to disperse. The police said the protesters had “shot hard objects at the Central Government Complex with slingshots and aimed laser beams at police officers”, posing a safety threat. Protesters there briefly surrounded a mainland Chinese man and questioned his identity after he was spotted trying


By The Straits Times
August 19, 2019

Politics

Hong Kong airport beefs up security as flights resume after protest chaos

Hong Kong courts declare airport occupation to be illegal. Flights resumed at Hong Kong’s airport Wednesday (Aug 14) after two days of disruptions marked by outbursts of violence that highlight the hardening positions of pro-democracy protesters and the authorities in the semi-autonomous Chinese city. Reflecting growing international concern, the US State Department on Wednesday issued a travel advisory for Hong Kong, urging “increased caution in Hong Kong due to civil unrest.” A State Department spokesman also expressed concern about reports of movements of Chinese forces on the border with Hong Kong and urged Beijing to honor the territory’s autonomy. “The United States is deeply concerned by reports of Chinese paramilitary movement along the Hong Kong border,” the spokesman said, referring to satellite photos showing what appear to be armoured personnel carriers and other vehicl


By The Straits Times
August 15, 2019

Politics

Anti-Abe rallies to sweep Seoul on Liberation Day

The two countries have been at loggerhead over trade issues for weeks. Rallies denouncing the Shinzo Abe administration for Tokyo’s economic retaliation against Seoul are set to take place Thursday on Liberation Day, along with events reflecting on the 74th anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japan’s colonial rule. A movement for joint action to resolve the wartime forced labor and other historical issues with Japan — set up by some 10 civic groups, including Movement for One Korea and the Center for Historical Truth and Justice — will begin a rally at 11 a.m. on Thursday at Seoul Plaza. Civic groups that have sought to resolve the forced labor issue in Japan will also participate in the rally. Koreans subjected to forced labor overseas by Japan during the colonial period will speak about their hardships, and ask for support to resolve the issue. According to organizer


By The Korea Herald
August 15, 2019

Politics

Carrie Lam urges public to set aside rifts, put Hong Kong first

The besieged leader addressed the young people of Hong Kong in Mandarin. Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor on Tuesday appealed to the public to calm down, set aside differences on political issues and jointly oppose escalating violence that is pushing the city into “the abyss of destruction”. Lam said developments over the past week had validated her concerns that Hong Kong was in a dangerous situation. Meeting reporters ahead of the resumption of customary Executive Council meetings every Tuesday, Lam appealed to the public again, in a voice trembling with emotions, to pause and think. “The top


By China Daily
August 14, 2019