See More on Facebook

News

Kim Jong-un crosses into South Korea

This is the first time a North Korean leader has set foot south of the border since before the 1950-53 Korean War, The Korea Herald reports.


Written by

Updated: April 27, 2018

The third inter-Korean summit between President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un began at 10:15 a.m. on Friday at the Peace House on the South’s side of Panmunjoem.

This is the first time a North Korean leader has set foot south of the border since before the 1950-53 Korean War.

At the summit table, Moon was flanked by his chief of staff Im Jong-seok and National Intelligence Service Director Suh Hoon. Kim was accompanied by Kim Yong-chol and his sister Kim Yo-jong.

“(I) walked here with many thoughts, that if we put out will together, the lost 11 years would not have been a waste,” Kim said before the meeting began.

“I am here today with the belief that we are at the starting point of peace and prosperity, that we are firing the signal.”

He went on to say that he hopes to discuss outstanding issues frankly, and that he hopes that discussions with Moon will lead to results that will not lead to the repeating of past failures in inter-Korean agreements.

Moon responded by saying that much is riding on his and Kim‘s shoulders.

Saying that the moment Kim crossed the Military Demarcation Line Panmunjeom became the symbol of peace, Moon praised Kim for his decisions that led to the summit meeting.

”I hope that we engage in the talks with such boldness, and reach an agreement and deliver a gift to all the people of the world who wish for peace,” Moon said.

From The Korea Herald.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News

Dozens die in suspected arson at animation studio in Kyoto

The perpetrator has been arrested. More than two dozen people died when a fire, possibly caused by arson, broke out at a studio managed by animation production company Kyoto Animation Co. in Fushimi Ward, Kyoto, on Thursday morning. The Kyoto city fire department initially confirmed that one person had died, but dozens were later found in cardiac arrest inside the three-story building. The Kyoto Prefectural Police later confirmed that 25 people had died. According to the fire department, a nearby resident made an emergency call at about 10:35 a.m., saying they had heard the sound of an explosion. Officials of the prefectural police rushed to the studio and found a man, 41, on a road near the studio. The man told them, “I sprinkled liquid on the first floor and set it on fire.”


By The Japan News
July 19, 2019

News

Death toll in Mumbai building collapse likely to rise

A massive rescue operation is underway in India. The death toll in the building collapse in India’s financial capital Mumbai rose to 14 on Wednesday as rescue operations continued for the second day after the 100-year-old structure crumbled to the ground under incessant rains on Tuesday.   The death toll is likely to go up further as the rescue operations progress, an official from the Mumbai disaster management cell said. Dozens are still feared trapped in the rubble. At least 40 to 50 people were feared trapped under the debris of the four-storey building in the Dongri locality of Mumbai, local residents said. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is also carrying out rescue and search operations with the help of sniffer dogs. Nine people, including two children, have been rescued so far. Three NDRF teams were joined by the fire


By Ishan Joshi
July 18, 2019

News

ANN Network editor wins press freedom award

Committee to Protect Journalists honours Editor Dawn Zaffar Abbas with press freedom award. Editor Dawn Zaffar Abbas has been awarded the 2019 Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) for “extraordinary and sustained achievement in the cause of press freedom”, the body announced on Tuesday. CPJ’s Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award, previously known as the Burton Benjami Memorial Award, was renamed in 2017 to honour a veteran journalist and former board member who died in 2016. “The award is presented annually to an individual who has shown extraordinary and sustained achievement in the cause of press freedom,” notes the CPJ website. Notable past recipients of the award include


By Dawn
July 17, 2019

News

Korea says Japan’s arbitration process offer unacceptable

Seoul has taken Japan to the WTO with an official complaint. A couple of days ahead of the deadline set by Japan for South Korea to respond to its offer of a formal arbitration process over historical disputes, the office of President Moon Jae-in made clear Tuesday that it won’t accept the call. Cheong Wa Dae’s stern stance came amid Tokyo‘s threat of additional trade measures against South Korean companies. It heralds a possible deepening of the rift between the neighboring countries. “There’s no change in the government‘s position,” a senior Cheong Wa Dae official told reporters. Asked whether that means Japan’s demand is unacceptable, the official said, “Yes it is. I think that‘s clearly conclusive.” At the center of the latest Seoul-Tokyo stand-off is compensation of Koreans forced to toil at Japanese factories and mines during World War II. Korea was under Japan


By The Korea Herald
July 17, 2019

News

Chinese economy grows at slowest rate in decades

Growth slumps to 27-year low in China, with talk of more aggressive stimulus measures. China’s economy grew 6.2 per cent in the second quarter of this year, its slowest rate in 27 years, as the country’s trade war with the United States exacted its toll. Analysts said they expect economic growth to continue to weaken for the rest of this year, which would likely prompt more aggressive stimulus measures from Beijing. Data released on Monday (July 15) by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) showed that gross domestic product growth in the second quarter had slowed from 6.4 per cent in the first quarter of this year, coming in largely within expectations. The economy grew by 6.3 per cent for the first half of the year, according to the NBS. The figure is still within the 6 to 6.5 per cent target that Beijing has set for full year GDP growth. Last year, Chin


By The Straits Times
July 16, 2019

News

Hong Kong protests: Chaos speads to Sha Tin mall after rally ends

Protests continue, this time against Chinese vendors. Violent clashes between law enforcers and some protesters erupted yet again on Sunday (July 14) following a largely peaceful march hours earlier in the New Territories town of Sha Tin. About three hours after the rally ended at 5pm, police in riot gear began clearing the streets, setting off a game of cat and mouse with them and protesters trying to corner one another. Tensions peaked at about 9.30pm when officers armed with shields and batons entered New Town Plaza mall in Sha Tin and tried to disperse the crowd that was hiding there, resulting in chaos. Police officers were seen chasing after a protester, hitting him with batons and ripping his clothes off as they tried to pin him down before he managed to flee to safety with help from fellow protesters, who were trying to dodge pepper spray. Elsewhere in the mall, protesters surround


By The Straits Times
July 15, 2019