See More on Facebook

News, Politics

White House confirms tentative schedule for US-NK summit

US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will meet in Singapore on June 12 at 9 am.


Written by

Updated: June 5, 2018

US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will meet in Singapore on June 12, with the meeting kicking off at 9 a.m., the White House confirmed Tuesday.

“I can tell you the president has been receiving daily briefings on North Korea from his national security team,” White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders said.

“And I can also tell you the schedule, tentatively, for that first meeting will be on June 12 at 9 a.m. Singapore time.”

According to Sanders, US-North Korea negotiations taking place on the inter-Korean border continue and the discussions have been “very positive, and significant progress has been made.”

The US and North Korea began simultaneous negotiations on the North’s side of Panmunjeom and in Singapore late last month. In the talks on the inter-Korean border, the US is represented by a team led by Sung Kim, current US ambassador to the Philippines and former nuclear negotiator.

The Panmunjeom talks are said to be focused on the agenda of the US-North Korea summit, while that in Singapore concern logistics and security details. The Singapore talks are being spearheaded by White House deputy chief of staff Joe Hagin.

Seoul’s presidential office, meanwhile, is monitoring developments between Pyongyang and Washington, making preparations for possible steps following the Trump-Kim meeting.

Measures Seoul has in mind include signing a three-way peace treaty among the Koreas and the US, officially ending the Korean War. With the war having ended with an armistice agreement, Pyongyang is technically still at war with Seoul and the US.

According to reports citing an unnamed South Korean official, President Moon Jae-in is working on including a nonaggression clause in the possible peace treaty.

Cheong Wa Dae played down related reports, saying that a nonaggression agreement will come after a declaration of an end to the war.

“Declaring an end to the war and nonaggression agreement are not the same, and if (a nonaggression agreement) is sought, it should be discussed after a declaration of the end of the war,” Cheong Wa Dae spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom said.

Kim also said that Seoul is working closely with Beijing on matters regarding the possible peace treaty among the Koreas and the US.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News, Politics

Dozens die in suspected arson at animation studio in Kyoto

The perpetrator has been arrested. More than two dozen people died when a fire, possibly caused by arson, broke out at a studio managed by animation production company Kyoto Animation Co. in Fushimi Ward, Kyoto, on Thursday morning. The Kyoto city fire department initially confirmed that one person had died, but dozens were later found in cardiac arrest inside the three-story building. The Kyoto Prefectural Police later confirmed that 25 people had died. According to the fire department, a nearby resident made an emergency call at about 10:35 a.m., saying they had heard the sound of an explosion. Officials of the prefectural police rushed to the studio and found a man, 41, on a road near the studio. The man told them, “I sprinkled liquid on the first floor and set it on fire.”


By The Japan News
July 19, 2019

News, Politics

Civilian rule officially restored as King swears in Prayut II govt

The government is made up of many of the same advisors and ministers as the previous military government. The new Prayut Chan-o-cha government was sworn in on Tuesday during a ceremony overseen by His Majesty the King, signalling the return of civilian rule after five years following the military coup in 2014. The ceremony took place at 6pm in the Amphorn Satharn Throne Hall, where all 36 ministers were present. In a break with tradition, however, television cameras were not on hand to record the event. The historic occasion marked the first time that HM the King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua, as head of state, together with Queen Suthida Bajrasudhabimalalakshana, has overseen the advent of a new government – the King’s first event of such kind after his Coronation in May. Also new was the venue for the ceremony, which has previously been held in the


By Cod Satrusayang
July 17, 2019

News, Politics

ANN Network editor wins press freedom award

Committee to Protect Journalists honours Editor Dawn Zaffar Abbas with press freedom award. Editor Dawn Zaffar Abbas has been awarded the 2019 Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) for “extraordinary and sustained achievement in the cause of press freedom”, the body announced on Tuesday. CPJ’s Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award, previously known as the Burton Benjami Memorial Award, was renamed in 2017 to honour a veteran journalist and former board member who died in 2016. “The award is presented annually to an individual who has shown extraordinary and sustained achievement in the cause of press freedom,” notes the CPJ website. Notable past recipients of the award include


By Dawn
July 17, 2019

News, Politics

Hong Kong government blasts riots

Hong Kong police chief blasts Sha Tin violence which leaves six people seriously injured. Embattled Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam broke her silence on Monday afternoon (July 15)  to condemn “rioters” and praise police after violent clashes on Sunday night that left two people in critical condition and four in a serious state. Mrs Lam said the police had acted “professionally” and practised “restrain” in dealing with the group of protesters who hung around New Town Plaza shopping mall in Sha Tin, hours after a rally had ended. Speaking to the media at a Tai Po hospital, where six officers are still being treated, she said the police’s duty is to uphold the law and those who broke the law have to be taken to task. “Hong Kong society will not condone such violence,” she added. Secretary for Security John Lee, who also visited the hospital, told reporters


By The Straits Times
July 16, 2019

News, Politics

Hong Kong protests: Chaos speads to Sha Tin mall after rally ends

Protests continue, this time against Chinese vendors. Violent clashes between law enforcers and some protesters erupted yet again on Sunday (July 14) following a largely peaceful march hours earlier in the New Territories town of Sha Tin. About three hours after the rally ended at 5pm, police in riot gear began clearing the streets, setting off a game of cat and mouse with them and protesters trying to corner one another. Tensions peaked at about 9.30pm when officers armed with shields and batons entered New Town Plaza mall in Sha Tin and tried to disperse the crowd that was hiding there, resulting in chaos. Police officers were seen chasing after a protester, hitting him with batons and ripping his clothes off as they tried to pin him down before he managed to flee to safety with help from fellow protesters, who were trying to dodge pepper spray. Elsewhere in the mall, protesters surround


By The Straits Times
July 15, 2019

News, Politics

India asks Commonwealth to readmit Maldives

Maldives pulled out of commonwealth under previous administration over human rights concerns. India has called upon for fast-tracking the process of readmission of the Maldives to the Commonwealth. This was conveyed by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar at the 19th Commonwealth Foreign Affairs Ministers’ Meeting (CFAMM) in London on Wednesday. “The External Affairs Minister, in his remarks, congratulated the member countries on the 70th anniversary of Commonwealth. He also noted that India is well on the path of fulfilling all the commitments made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at CHOGM 2018. The EAM called for fast-tracking of the process of re-admission of Maldives to the Commonwealth,” the External Affairs Ministry said in a statement. New Delhi’s support for the Indian Ocean archipelago came weeks after Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Male on his first overseas trip after being re-


By The Statesman
July 12, 2019