See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

For a successful summit, Trump must silence hawks

The Trump-Kim summit is set for next week in Singapore but Trump needs to rein in his hawks to ensure its success.


Written by

Updated: June 7, 2018

A few weeks ago we wrote that the inclusion of hawks on his foreign policy team means that Trump was more than likely going to antagonize the North Koreans.

People like Pompeo, Bolton and Giuliani had made public statements that threatened to derail the diplomatic process.

When the summit was initially cancelled, the North Koreans cited statements that Vice President Mike Pence had made which called for the US to use the Libya model of denuclearization with the Koreans.

As has been widely reported, the Libya model is problematic for regimes like the one in Pyongyang because of what eventually happened to Muammar Gaddafi and his government.

Of course, the idea of the Libya model did not come from Pence but came from Bolton. He was the first to mention it during a television interview which Pence and his staff then picked up.

Rapprochement

With the summit back on, both sides have made diplomatic overtures that they previously had been unwilling to make.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has “firm will” for denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula after meeting with Kim.

“Following up from the Panmunjeom Declaration, Chairman Kim again stated his will for complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” Moon said.

Trump for his part said that he believed in the economic potential of the North and offered more incentives for its denuclearization.

“I truly believe North Korea has brilliant potential and will be a great economic and financial Nation one day,” Trump wrote.

“Kim Jong-un agrees with me on this. It will happen!”

The US president has increasingly offered economic rewards in exchange for denuclearization, although the exact terms of any deal are unclear.

Silencing the hawks

With the summit set for June 12, the only thing that can (once again) derail the historic summit are the Hawks in Trump’s cabinet.

To his credit, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has toned down his rhetoric and has even expressed his optimism at the possible outcome of the summit.

However, others like Rudy Giuliani continue making ludicrous statements to the press.

Giuliani was caught making statements in Tel Aviv that North Korea had begged for the summit to proceed on their ‘hands and knees.’

Statements like these are problematic in normal diplomatic circles much less a sensitive regime like the one in Pyongyang.

It seems that President Trump is aware of the problem, however.

Hardliners on North Korea were not seen accompanying Trump when he greeted Kim Yong-chol, vice chairman of the ruling Workers’ Party’s Central Committee and North Korean leader’s top aide, in the White House.

Kim, a former spy chief on the US sanctions list, flew to the US to have meetings with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in preparation for North Korea-US summit. In Washington, he delivered a letter from North Korean leader to Trump.

Trump’s national security adviser John Bolton, and Vice President Mike Pence — both hawks on North Korea — did not take part in the meeting and were not seen around.

Trump has been seen keeping a distance from the “Libyan model” recently in an apparent attempt to appease North Korea worried about its regime security.

With rumours that Bolton will also not be appearing at the negotiating table in Singapore, perhaps the summit has a chance.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Cod Satrusayang
About the Author: Cod Satrusayang is the Managing Editor at Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

Premier Li announces slew of measures to fight virus in a top-level meeting

Premier Li Keqiang presided over the meeting of the leading group of the Communist Party of China Central Committee on coping with the novel coronavirus, a pneumonia-causing virus, in Beijing. Li is head of the group. China will adopt a host of measures including delaying and reducing conferences and major events, extending the Spring Festival holiday and supporting work online to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, according to a decision released at a high-level meeting on Sunday. Premier Li Keqiang presided over the meeting of the leading group of the Communist Party of China Central Committee on coping with the novel coronavirus, a pneumonia-causing virus, in Beijing. Li is head of the group. The group was established after a meeting of the St


By China Daily
January 27, 2020

Diplomacy

Wuhan virus: China locks down five cities at epicentre of outbreak

Move to curb virus’ spread across world comes as experts race to crack its code. China has taken the unprecedented move of locking down cities at the heart of a new Sars-like outbreak that has spread swiftly across provinces and the world, killing at least 17 and infecting more than 630. In a dramatic effort to curb the sweep of the mutating virus, officials in Wuhan announced at midnight on Wednesday that the city, where the mystery coronavirus originated last month in a wet market that sold live animals, was being sealed off. Last night, the authorities in the surrounding cities of Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi and Xiantao in the same Hubei province in central China also imposed travel restrictions. The toughest measures were taken in Huanggang, where


By The Straits Times
January 24, 2020

Diplomacy

New coronavirus cases rise to 571 in Chinese mainland

China’s National Health Commission said cases of the new coronavirus pneumonia disease rose to 571 on the Chinese mainland as of Wednesday midnight, including 95 in critical condition, and fatalities rose to 17,  on Thursday morning. Latest on pneumonia epidemic: Cases of the new coronavirus pneumonia disease rose to 571 on the Chinese mainland as of Wednesday midnight, including 95 in critical condition, and fatalities rose to 17, China’s National Health Commission said on Thursday morning. In addition, 393 suspected cases were reported as of Wednesday midnight. All the reported deaths were in Hubei province, the epicenter of the outbreak. Outside the mainland, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan each confirmed one case.


By China Daily
January 23, 2020

Diplomacy

Strictest measures enacted to contain viral pneumonia in China

As the pathogen continues to spread, the strictest prevention and control measures are being adopted by the Chinese health authorities for the new strain of coronavirus that has caused a pneumonia outbreak in Wuhan. Chinese health authorities are adopting the strictest prevention and control measures for the new strain of coronavirus that has caused a pneumonia outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei province, as the pathogen continues to spread. On Monday, 77 new confirmed cases of the virus — 2019-nCoV — were reported on the Chinese mainland, bringing the total number of confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland to 291, six of whom died, the National Health Commission said on Tuesday afternoon. Among the new cases, 72 were reported in Hubei province, two in Shanghai a


By China Daily
January 22, 2020

Diplomacy

Wuhan virus: China confirms human-to-human transmission, says medical workers infected

China’s health commission said on Monday (Jan 20)  that medical workers have been infected by the deadly coronavirus first discovered in the central city of Wuhan, confirming it can be transmitted between people. “The current situation is that it is no longer animal to human transmission, but human to human,” said Chinese pulmonologist Zhong Nanshan, who discovered the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (Sars) coronavirus in 2003 and now heads an expert panel under the health commission. He cited a case in Guangdong, where the patient had not been to Wuhan but caught the virus from a family member. Dr Zhong also said 14 medical personnel helping with coronavirus patients have been infected by one carrier. “The key to controlling the spread o


By The Straits Times
January 21, 2020

Diplomacy

Trump invites Asean leaders, including Duterte, to summit in US

Donald Trump, the US President has invited Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and 11 other leaders of the Asean to a summit to be held in Las Vegas in March. US President Donald Trump has invited Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and 11 other leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) to a summit to be held in Las Vegas in March. “The invitation was first conveyed during the Asean-US meeting at the Asean Summit and related summits in Bangkok last November. The United States then reiterated its invitation through a letter dated Jan. 9, 2020,”the Palace said. The Palace also released a copy of Trump’s letter to the Asean leaders dated Nov. 1, given during last year’s Asean summit in Bangkok. “I would also like


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
January 20, 2020