See More on Facebook

Economics

Latest tariff threat impact ‘adverse’

China has expressed concern over increased US tariffs.


Written by

Updated: August 3, 2018

The Trump administration’s threat to double down on a trade war by proposing now a 25 percent tariff on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports would have a “highly adverse” impact and will end up hurting US families and workers, researchers and industry groups warned on Wednesday.

US President Donald Trump has directed US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to consider increasing the proposed level of the additional duty from 10 percent to 25 percent, the USTR said in a statement on Wednesday.

Lighthizer said that a public comment period for the $200 billion list would be extended to Sept 5 from Aug 30 due to the possible tariff-rate rise. Products to be targeted range from electrical machinery to leather goods to seafood.

Earlier on Wednesday, China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said that US “pressure and blackmail” on trade won’t work.

“If the US takes further steps to escalate trade frictions, China will inevitably come up with countermeasures to resolutely protect its legitimate rights,” Geng told a news conference.

Wednesday’s tariff hike is 2 1/2 times the amount originally proposed, making it the same as the tariffs the US already imposed on $34 billion in Chinese goods and on another $16 billion in coming weeks.

Much of American industry and many members of Trump’s own Republican Party have expressed outrage but so far have not successfully thwarted Trump’s trade policies, Agence-France Presse said in a report on Wednesday.

Matthew Shay, president and CEO of the National Retail Federation, said increasing the the tariffs’ bite will increase the harm that will be done to US families and workers.

“These punitive tariffs will be passed along to US consumers and will undo all the positive gains the economy has made in recent months. Quite simply, there has been no better example of cutting off one’s nose in order to spite the face,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.

Jake Colvin, vice-president of the National Foreign Trade Council, said the Trump administration could be boxing itself into a corner.

“It’s hard to see how this action lends itself towards a resolution to what is increasingly a trade crisis,” Colvin was quoted by the AFP as saying.

Jon Taylor, a professor of political science of the University of St. Thomas in Houston, said that if the trade war escalates, there is a good chance that China will retaliate by placing tariffs on US crude oil imports and mobile phone makers like Apple, and engage in public boycotts against American products.

“No one will win through imposing tit-for-tat tariffs,” Taylor said. “It’s really up to the US to step away from the brink and spare China, the US and the world from a detrimental trade war.”

Gary Hufbauer, a nonresident senior fellow of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said there is a battle between the “hawks” and the “doves” within the Trump inner circle. For now, Trump is siding with the hawks as a tactic against China.

The former deputy assistant secretary for international trade and investment policy of the US Treasury said the impact of the escalating tension is “highly adverse”.

“This will badly shake business confidence, and firms will delay their investment projects. The world economy will suffer,” he told China Daily.

Douglas H. Paal, vice-president of the Asia Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said the impact of jacking up the tariffs will raise costs in every direction and possibly leading to a “wrenching and costly” delinking of the US and Chinese economies.

“I doubt there is a way out if the US cannot formulate policies, priorities, personnel and processes to arrive at a list of negotiable issues,” Paal told China Daily. “(It) looks bad to me.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


China Daily
About the Author: China Daily covers domestic and world news through nine print editions and digital media worldwide.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Economics

Mahathir chairs economic meeting, cost of living takes centre stage

The Economic Action Council’s main aim is to spur and stimulate sustainable economic growth. Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad chaired the first meeting of the  Economic Action Council (EAC), which had tackling the cost of living high on the agenda. The meeting on Wednesday (March 20) looked at measures to improve the living standards of the B40 group. The Economic Affairs Ministry, which acts as the secretariat to the EAC, said that three papers were presented by representatives from the ministry, as well as the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry. “Aside from the cost of living, the idea of social entrepreneurship as a platform to improve the livelihood of B40 households was also brought to the meeting’s attention, as well as the implementation of decisions made by the National Action Coun


By The Star
March 21, 2019

Economics

Opinion: Japan must return to being South-east Asia’s top trade partner

Singapore’s Ambassador-at-Large Tommy Koh called on Japan to return to Asean as its top investor, as it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Veteran diplomats jousted at a public forum here over the question of whether Japan is sufficiently invested in South-east Asia, amid the former’s concerns about China’s growing influence in the region. Singapore’s Ambassador-at-Large Tommy Koh called on Japan to return to Asean as its top investor, as it was in the 1970s and 1980s. “You were Asean’s number one trade partner. Now you are number four. You were also number one in foreign direct investments. Now you are not. You have lost so much ground in South-east Asia,” he said.


By The Straits Times
March 20, 2019

Economics

Foreign firms to get access to more sectors in China

Agriculture, mining, manufacturing, service sectors to be opened up, says state planner. China’s state planner has said more opening measures will be introduced in the agriculture, mining, manufacturing and service industries, letting wholly foreign-owned firms operate in more sectors. The “negative list” of industries that are off-limits to foreign investors will be further shortened, Mr Ning Jizhe, vice-chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), said on the sidelines of the annual parliamentary meeting yesterday. He stressed that foreign firms will be treated as equals with Chinese companies before and after they enter China. “We are working with relevant departments and local governments… to ensure that standards for market access are consistent for both foreign and local firms,” he told reporters. Fore


By The Straits Times
March 7, 2019

Economics

China to boost consumption to stimulate a slowing economy

China will boost the incomes of urban and rural residents, and domestic consumption is expected to continue to expand and to upgrade. China is taking steps to bolster consumption in a key move to stimulate a flagging economy this year. With rising spending power among its population of 1.4 billion and growing urbanisation, there is untapped potential in a huge consumer market, said the country’s state planner on Wednesday (March 06) on the sidelines of its annual parliamentary session. Consumption has been the main driver of China’s economic growth for six consecutive years, accounting for 76 per cent of its GDP growth last year. Total retail sales grew by 9 per cent last year, although the rate was slightly slower than the year before. With GDP expansion expected to slide below 6.5 per cent this year, the government is moving to shore up the economy by encouraging greater consumption,


By The Straits Times
March 7, 2019

Economics

Malaysia state fund Khazanah records pre-tax loss of $2 billion

Khazanah declared RM1.5 billion dividends to the government, up from the 2017 dividends of RM1 billion announced before last May’s general election. Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional announced its first pre-tax loss in a decade amounting to RM6.27 billion (S$2 billion) in its annual review presentation on Tuesday (March 5). The company pinned last year’s losses on global market challenges, with half of its impairments due to Malaysia Airlines, the national carrier it owns. Its new managing director Shahril Ridza Ridzuan said the fund had to contend with short-term losses in order to actualise long-term gains it projects to achieve within five years.


By The Straits Times
March 6, 2019

Economics

Opinion: Belt and Road Initiative by no means a debt trap

A op-ed in the China Daily refutes claims that the Belt and Road program is a debt trap for countries. Proposed by President Xi Jinping in 2013, the Belt and Road Initiative has drawn extensive attention worldwide. After five years, the concept and vision of the initiative have been put into practice, with some already yielding fruits and promoting the building of a new pattern for the coordinated development of China and the world. Perhaps that’s why many consider the initiative to be the most important public good provided by China for the world. As a new platform for international development and cooperation, the initiative facilitates China’s engagement with the rest of world while making it possible to establish a more just and reasonable world order that would highlight the importance of Chinese wisdom in building a prosperous future for humankind. Thanks to the contributions the Belt


By China Daily
March 5, 2019