See More on Facebook

Analysis, Economics

China on the defensive in trade war; points to accomplishment

China is defending its economy and predicting sustained growth despite an escalation of a trade war with the United States.


Written by

Updated: August 6, 2018

As the trade war between the United States and China ramps up, Beijing has gone an offensive media blitz to counter the White House argument that its tariffs are causing harm to China’s economy and economic growth.

Beijing’s top economic regulator told Chinese state media last week that the economy is forecast to see solid growth in the second half of the year, bolstered by buoyant local consumption.

“In the first six months, consumption retained growth momentum and has played a key role in supporting economic growth as consumption has become a key element of the nation’s rebalancing act,” Liu Yunan, a senior official with the National Development and Reform Commission.

For longtime China observers, the news may be a little surprising considering China has long been an export-driven economy and many countries, including the United States, has long advocated that Beijing build up its local consumer base to offset its aggressive trade policies.

In the same article, the NDRC revealed that local consumption contributed 78.5 per cent of total economic growth in the first half, up by 14.2 percentage points compared with the same period last year.

According to a China Daily article:

“The report comes at a time when the tepid growth of some indicators has raised concerns over China’s rebalancing moves toward domestic consumption as trade troubles with the United States have escalated and uncertainties in the global economy have increased.”

“The government will roll out more supportive measures to increase consumer demand, such as continuing to promote supply-side reforms, providing better products and fostering a more vibrant private sector.”

“External Factors”

Chinese state media has highlighted contributing “external factors” to China’s economic growth in several articles over the past week.

A China Daily report from Friday stated:

A key meeting of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee signalled that China will focus more on maintaining the stability of the economy in the second half of this year amid external uncertainties.

A separate article, also from Friday, stated:

Despite some external challenges, [local] spending is expected to see a rebound in coming months with downward dips remaining under control.

Beijing has also gone on the offensive hitting back at US criticisms while urging unity in the face of Washington’s trade obtuseness.

An op-ed written by a Chinese-based think-tank refuted charges by Washington that the country’s conglomerates and businesses steal American ideas. The subject had already been a point of contention at a May World Trade Organization meeting in Geneva.

During that meeting, U.S. Ambassador Dennis Shea said “forced technology transfer” was the price to pay for companies trying to access Chinese markets.

The op-ed refuted those charges stating:

China made a clear commitment when it joined the World Trade Organization that it would not require additional technology transfer to approve inward foreign direct investment even though such technology transfer for FDI conforms to WTO rules.

At the national level, China does not approve inward foreign investment by attaching technology transfer as a condition. At the enterprise level, however, such technology transfers by foreign companies do take place, because it is normal for foreign enterprises operating in any country to engage in capital, resources, technology, management and brand cooperation and transaction. But it should not be misinterpreted as mandatory requirement of the Chinese government.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has also gone on the offensive, saying that US threats to further increase tariffs were doomed to fail and would only hurt the country in the long term.

The US “still cannot eliminate what it claims as its trade imbalance” if it reduces imports from China and raises them from other countries, Wang said at a news conference.

Wang noted that Washington is encouraging the return of production lines to the US while China’s domestic demand is rising.

“We are willing to import more goods from all over the world that meet the needs of the Chinese market. I think these US enterprises will not give up China’s increasingly expanding market,” Wang said.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Cod Satrusayang
About the Author: Cod Satrusayang is the Managing Editor at Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Analysis, Economics

Cooperating on energy in face of tariffs

At Houston oil and gas industry forum, US, China executives discuss future. The US energy industry expects a strong long-term energy relationship with China, a US energy official told US and Chinese oil and gas executives the day after China announced a retaliatory 10 per cent tariff on US natural gas. Steve Winberg, US Energy Department assistant secretary for fossil energy, on Wednesday assured the energy executives that the US has never revoked a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export authorization, nor plans to do so. “Some potential exporters and financiers have expressed concern that the US may rescind or revoke LNG export authorization. Let me be very clear that these concerns are unfounded,” Winberg said on Wednesday at the opening of the two-day 18th US-China Oil and Gas Industry Forum in Houston. The forum has been a collaboration of the US Energy Department, Ch


By Cod Satrusayang
September 25, 2018

Analysis, Economics

Swift assistance needed to rehabilitate Hokkaido’s quake-stricken industries

To realize Hokkaido’s post-quake rehabilitation, it is indispensable to rebuild its industries. A half month has passed since the Hokkaido earthquake, which registered the highest level on the Japanese seismic intensity scale of 7. A power blackout that spread to all parts of the prefecture has been resolved. The No. 1 unit at the Tomato-Atsuma thermal power plant — a facility that plays a central role in the supply of electricity there — has been brought back on line. The government has withdrawn its request for power-saving, and neon lighting has returned to flourishing areas in Sapporo. However, scars from the earthquake have not yet healed. Even if the amount of direct damage, including that caused to roads, rivers and forest land, is calculated alone, the figure exceeds ¥150 billion. There are still many disaster victims in evacuation centers. T


By The Japan News
September 25, 2018

Analysis, Economics

Maldives strongman Abdulla Yameen in shock election defeat

The Maldivian election was watched closely as an indicator of China’s growing influence in the Indian Ocean region. Maldives strongman Abdulla Yameen’s hopes for a second presidential term were dashed on September 24 with opposition candidate Ibrahim Mohamed Solih defeating him in the country’s elections. After a months-long sweeping crackdown on the opposition and a brief state of emergency imposed by the autocratic Yameen, the election on September 23 was preceded by a bitter campaign during which opposition leaders frequently accused the ruling regime of rights abuses and oppression. Several independent news websites reported that after the counting of a majority of the votes, Solih had won more than 58 per cent of the votes to 41 per cent for Yameen. Hours after the emergence of the informal results, Yameen conceded defeat to Solih during a televised news conference, saying: “Mal


By Lamat R Hasan
September 25, 2018

Analysis, Economics

Disruption seen from auto parts duty in US-China trade war

US tariffs on Chinese auto parts will probably result in higher prices and could disrupt the global automotive supply chain industry. The Trump administration has imposed a new 10 percent tariff on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods that takes effect on Sept 24. Beginning on Jan 1, the tariffs will increase to 25 percent. China retaliated with $60 billion of new tariffs on US products. The new levies target more than 100 automotive products including engines, gaskets, rubber seals, tires and transmission shafts. Tariffs are basically taxes on the consumer, and all costs increases within the supply chain will eventually be passed along to the consumer, according to Peter Nagle, senior automotive analyst at IHS Markit. “In the short-term, suppliers might absorb some of the cost of the tariff but eventually they will have to raise prices or resource product from elsewhere, which also will rai


By China Daily
September 24, 2018

Analysis, Economics

Thai seafood giant to address slavery issues at UN

Thailand’s progress in promoting human rights in the fishing industry will be addressed in a panel session on modern slavery and human trafficking at the United Nations General Assembly by seafood giants Thai Union. Darian McBain, global director of sustainability for the Thai Union Group, will address the panel on the topic of “Stepping up Action to End Forced Labour, Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking”. “Thailand has made a number of advances on human rights, which should be commended, but there is more work to be done and I believe Thailand has the opportunity b


By The Nation (Thailand)
September 24, 2018

Analysis, Economics

India launches world’s biggest healthcare programme

Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched India’s ambitious healthcare program on Sunday. Deemed the “world’s largest government-funded healthcare programme”, the scheme will cover half a billion people through its network of hospitals and support services. Speaking at the event, the PM said that the number of beneficiaries is equivalent to the total population of the United States, Canada and Mexico or the entire European Union. “This is a major step taken to fulfil the vision of providing better healthcare facilities to the poorest of the poor and to those standing last in the queue,” the PM said. Following the launch, the PM informed the gathering that the scheme covers diseases such as cancer, heart diseases, kidney and liver problems, diabetes and over 1300 various ailments. “The treatment of the diseases can not only be done in government hospitals but also private hospitals,” said


By Cod Satrusayang
September 24, 2018