See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

Moon to head to Pyongyang for September summit

South and North Korea agreed to hold a third summit between their leaders in the North Korean capital of Pyongyang in September.


Written by

Updated: August 14, 2018

The announcement came as the result of high-level talks held the same day, which aimed to hammer out details, plan for a new summit and discuss progress on the implementation of the Panmunjom Declaration drawn up at the landmark meeting between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in April. The declaration states that Moon will visit Pyongyang “this fall.”

The meeting was attended by a four-member delegation from the South led by Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon and the North’s five-member team headed by Ri Son-gwon, chairman of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Country.

A specific itinerary, including the date of the summit, was not included in the joint statement, despite Ri’s remarks to the South Korean press pool that the exact date had been set.

Cheong Wa Dae spokesman Kim Eui-Kyeom said the proposed summit will likely to be held in mid- or late September, hours after the meeting wrapped up, while elaborating that it is expected to be held after Sept. 10, considering “realistic conditions.”

Kim Jong-un had highlighted the importance of the 70th anniversary of the North’s regime, which will fall on Sept. 9, in his New Year’s address at the beginning of the year.

Cho and Ri both said at the end of the meeting that they had discussed a slew of issues surrounding the implementation of the Panmunjom Declaration and cross-border cooperation. Key events such as the reunion of families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War, cooperation at the 2018 Jakarta-Palembang Asian Games and the opening of a joint liaison office at the border town of Kaesong were further discussed, they said.

Monday’s meeting came as the North ramped up calls for the South to take inter-Korean affairs into its own hands, despite US efforts to keep its pressure campaign effective amid perceived stagnation in Pyongyang-Washington denuclearization talks.

The US has urged the North to speed up its denuclearization efforts, while the North has argued the process should be carried out in a simultaneous and phased manner.

Cho said the topics of denuclearization and a peace regime on the Korean Peninsula were also discussed.

“North Korea said it was doing its best on denuclearization and elaborated on the effort, while we stressed the need for the process to progress in a swift manner,” Cho said, adding that the establishment of a virtuous cycle of inter-Korean relations and US-North Korea ties would help such progress.

Both Koreas are currently carrying out joint research projects on railways and roads connecting the peninsula, along with reforestation of the decimated North Korean woodlands. They are also working toward opening a joint liaison office in the North by the end of the month. But the Seoul government has been cautious in expanding such cooperation due to multilayered international sanctions against the communist nation.

On the question of whether inter-Korean economic cooperation was raised at the table, Ri avoided a direct response, but said “it was all discussed.” “Specific ways to pursue (such agreements) were sought,” he added.

The meeting was conducted in a cordial atmosphere, finishing within four hours, a relatively short meeting compared to previous high-level talks.

Despite the observed mood, experts expressed skepticism over whether the North requested the meeting last week for practical purposes only.

“(Despite the announcement of the September summit,) it seems today’s meeting was held for the North to vent its frustration regarding the current situation, rather than placing the summit as the main focus,” said Kim Dong-yub, a professor at Kyungnam University’s Far East Institute, citing a lack of announcement as to the exact date of the summit.

The Seoul-based expert said the meeting was Pyongyang’s way of sending a warning to the South to give an equal amount of attention to inter-Korean ties as it does to its relations with the US.

The high-level meeting was the fourth so far this year. The last was in June.

Other South Korean officials that accompanied Cho to the meeting held at the North Korean side of the border village of Panmunjom were Vice Unification Minister Chun Hae-sung, Nam Gwan-pyo, a senior director from the presidential National Security Office, and director-general Ahn Moon-hyun from the Prime Minister’s Office.

The North Korean delegation included Vice Railroad Minister Kim Yun-hyok, Vice Minister for Land and Environmental Protection Pak Ho-yong, Vice Chairman of the Reunification Committee Pak Yong-il and Pak Myong-chol, vice chairman of the National Economic Cooperation Committee.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

Pyongyang confirms ready to resume talks, but gives conditions

Foreign minister confuses lawmakers on whether North Korean leader’s letter to Trump was different to one already made public. The long-stalled US-North Korea working level talks on denuclearization could take place soon, a senior North Korea official signaled in a statement carried by the Korean Central News Agency on Monday that also set out conditions for the resumption of dialogue. The director general of the North Korean Foreign Ministry’s department of American affairs said working-level talks will likely take place in a few weeks. He said the two countries may forge closer relations or hostility depend on what Washington brings to the table. But he also set out a number of conditions.


By The Korea Herald
September 17, 2019

Diplomacy

President blames China for ‘suppressing Taiwan int’l space’

The Solomon Islands is the latest country to not recognise Taiwan. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) strongly condemned Solomon Islands’ decision to establish diplomatic relations with China in a major statement released on Monday. The president blamed China for using “financial and political pressure to suppress Taiwan’s international space” and called Beijing’s action “a threat,” but also a “brazen challenge and detriment to the international order.” Taiwan’s attitude towards its diplomatic allies has been one of sincere friendship, she said, stressing that Taiwan spares “no effort” and treats allies with “sincerity.” In the face of China’s alleged interference, however, she added that “we will not stand to be threatened, nor will we be subjected to ceaseless demands.” The president also stressed that Taiwan will not engage in “dollar diplomacy” with China


By ANN Members
September 17, 2019

Diplomacy

Rohingyas inside Myanmar still facing genocide threat: UN report

The report outlines a grim future for 600,000 or so Rohingya still trapped in Myanmar. Around 600,000 Rohingyas remaining inside Myanmar face systematic persecution and live under the threat of genocide, said the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar in a new report published today. “The threat of genocide continues for the Rohingyas remaining in Myanmar,” said Marzuki Darusman, chair of the Fact-Finding Mission. The Mission, which was formed by the UN Human Rights Council in March 2017, last year said its investigation had found “genocidal acts” in Myanmar’s “clearance operations” in 2017 that killed thousands and caused more than 740,000 Rohingyas to flee to Bangladesh. “Myanmar is failing in its obligation to prevent genocide, to investigate genocide and to enact effective legislation criminalizing and punishing genocide,” Darusman said.


By Daily Star
September 17, 2019

Diplomacy

‘War with India a possibility’, Imran Khan says

The comments come weeks after a Pakistani minister had reportedly predicted a ‘full-blown war between Pakistan and India likely to occur in the month of October or November’. Days after Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that the possibility of an “accidental war” with India over the Kashmir issue cannot be ruled out, its Prime Minister Imran Khan said that he “absolutely believes” in such a consequence. While speaking to news channel Al Jazeera, Imran Khan raised the issue of Kashmir and said that there is a possibility of a conventional war with India that could go beyond the subcontinent. “So that’s why we have approached the United Nations, we are approaching every international forum, that they must act right now,” he said, adding that he “absolutely” believes war with India could be a possibility. “…this is a potential disaster that would go way be


By The Statesman
September 17, 2019

Diplomacy

Pakistan and India face common threats, climate change is the biggest one

Collective action may just be what is needed to secure the lives and livelihoods of future generations. Climate change is no longer limited to books or scientific papers; it is a reality knocking on our doors. Longer, sweltering summers bringing in record-breaking heat to South Asia are just one example. The harshest of conditions have yet to come, and the entire region is woefully unprepared to meet the challenges. While they may seem isolated, increasing instances of extreme weather are harbingers of a major climate shift for South Asia. Unlike transnational challenges like security and trade, climate change cannot be deterred by conventional methods or unilateral initiatives. Instead, synchronised common action is the viable way forward for sustainable progress to mitigate the impacts of climate change. Let’s look at some of the common environmental challenges facing Pakistan


By Dawn
September 17, 2019

Diplomacy

Iran rejects US claim it was behind Saudi oil strikes, says ready for war

All sides in the Middle East have stepped up their rhetoric in recent days. Iran dismissed accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting global energy supplies and warned on Sunday that US bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles. Yemen’s Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5 per cent of global supply, but US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally. The drone strikes on plants in the heartland of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry, including the world’s biggest petroleum processing facility, were expected to send oil prices up $5-10 per barrel on Monday as tensions rise in the Middle East. Iran’s President Hass


By Dawn
September 16, 2019