See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

NK reiterates importance of self-reliance before state establishment anniversary

North Korea says its policy of self-reliance is more important than in the face of increasing pressure from all sides.


Written by

Updated: September 3, 2018

North Korea reiterated the importance of self-reliance in its decision-making process Monday ahead of the forthcoming anniversary of the government’s establishment.

“There is no cure-all prescription that could be applied to all countries and peoples,” the Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of the ruling Worker’s Party of Korea, said in an editorial.

“All countries which have received prescriptions by imperialists as they were without self-reliance have ended up being ensnared in social, political chaos and ethnic strife with no exception,” it added.

The North’s renewed emphasis on independence comes amid a stalemate in the nuclear talks with the United States following their historic June 12 summit, apparently as they are at odds over how fast and to what extent Pyongyang should give up its nuclear weapons program.

Citing the collapse of the socialist bloc in the early 1990s, the newspaper said that the consequences of not maintaining self-reliance would be disastrous.

“If pressure and interferences are accepted in politics and actions are taken at the mercy of others’ instructions, it would be impossible to maintain principles and consistence, which would eventually ruin revolution and construction,” it said. “Others’ experiences should be dealt with critically and creatively.”

With the 70th founding anniversary a week away, the North’s media have been ramping up the need for independence from outside intervention in its decision-making process on the economy and other areas.

In an editorial on Sunday, the newspaper shed light on efforts being made across the communist state to develop its economy based on its own resources and technology.

The emphasis on self-reliance can be interpreted as a way to keep its house in order ahead of the Sept. 9 state establishment anniversary and gird itself for potentially intensifying pressure from the United States for it to denuclearize.

Talks between the US and North Korea have been all but stalled as they have failed to find common ground in ridding Pyongyang of its nuclear weapons program.

Uncertainty has deepened further since US President Donald Trump recently canceled a planned trip by his Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to the North, citing a lack of progress in denuclearization.

Among other things, the North apparently wants the US to join the efforts to officially declare an end to the 1950-53 Korean War as a way to ensure regime safety. The US seems to want the North to take substantive denuclearization steps first before talking about an end-of-the war declaration.

The North earlier accused the US of making “gangster-like” demands in denuclearization talks, calling for a “phased” process and “simultaneous” concessions in return for steps it takes  in abandoning its nuclear weapons program.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

How competing masculinities inform Pak-India escalation

Devaluing the other in gender hierarchies often takes place through feminisation. Last month, tensions reigned high between neighbouring nuclear powers that share an ugly history of separation and bellicosity. Once more, India and Pakistan seemed to be at the brink of war. Airports were shut down, the Line of Control was violated, and de-escalation — especially in the newfound absence of dedicated third-party intervention — looked out of bounds for the most part. War-mongering through media outlets prevailed while fake and selective news circulated in this situation of crisis. Yet, it is baffling — if also not amusing — that even in such delicate moments, rhetoric of ‘putting them in their place’ was omnipresent on both sides. Similarly, a few months ago, when Prime Minister Imran Khan tweeted his disappointment regarding peace talks with India, he chastised that he ha


By Dawn
March 21, 2019

Diplomacy

Moon holds meeting with US intelligence chief in Seoul

The meeting comes after the failed Hanoi summit between Trump and Kim. President Moon Jae-in on Wednesday met with US Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats in Seoul to discuss bilateral issues, Cheong Wa Dae said. According to Cheong Wa Dae spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom, Moon and Coats held an “in-depth and wide ranging discussion about current issues between South Korea and the US.” Coats’ visit is seen as aimed at sharing information and assessment of North Korea following the breakdown of last month’s summit between the two countries. Earlier, a local newspaper reported that Coats arrived at a US air base in Osan, south of Seoul,


By The Korea Herald
March 21, 2019

Diplomacy

Is Kim Jong-un considering ‘new way’?

Post Hanoi summit failure, speculation grows on what new mode of defense may be. Following the failure to reach an agreement at last month’s summit between the US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Hanoi, tension has been building between the two sides, threatening the negotiations that they have built over the past year. While the breakdown of their second meeting did not lead to a war of words, North Korea said it was considering suspending talks with the United States, while Washington accused Pyongyang of “not doing what it needs to do.” The communist leader warned in his New Year’s speech this year he would have to find a new way for defending the North if the US did not keep its promises. As the US appears to have no intention of taking the “commensurate measures” the North seeks for the denuclearization steps it has taken, speculation has grown as to whether


By The Korea Herald
March 20, 2019

Diplomacy

Opinion: Japan must return to being South-east Asia’s top trade partner

Singapore’s Ambassador-at-Large Tommy Koh called on Japan to return to Asean as its top investor, as it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Veteran diplomats jousted at a public forum here over the question of whether Japan is sufficiently invested in South-east Asia, amid the former’s concerns about China’s growing influence in the region. Singapore’s Ambassador-at-Large Tommy Koh called on Japan to return to Asean as its top investor, as it was in the 1970s and 1980s. “You were Asean’s number one trade partner. Now you are number four. You were also number one in foreign direct investments. Now you are not. You have lost so much ground in South-east Asia,” he said.


By The Straits Times
March 20, 2019

Diplomacy

Malaysia detains 13 suspected militants

Six of them were involved in the Marawi siege in the Philippines. Thirteen suspected militants, including six pro-Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) members allegedly involved in the deadly Marawi siege in southern Philippines, have been detained by Malaysian authorities. Malaysia’s national police chief Mohamad Fuzi Harun said 12 Filipinos and a Malaysian were arrested on March 11 and 12 by police’s Counter Terrorism Division, with the help of Special Branch, Sabah police and elite multi-tasking special forces unit 69 Commando. “They were detained for their suspected involvement in several terror groups… either the ASG, Maute combatants or the Royal Sulu Force (RSF),” he said in a statement on Monday (March 18). “Some of them were also involved in giving protection to foreign terrorist fighters who are hiding in Sabah.” The first arrests, the Inspector-Genera


By The Straits Times
March 19, 2019

Diplomacy

Demonization of Huawei will prove to be a political farce

A China Daily editorial looks at the ongoing fracas involving tech giants Huawei. China’s Palace Museum signed an agreement on Friday with Huawei Technologies Co Ltd to promote the use of its 5G telecommunications technology. With the new generation telecoms technology, the Forbidden City, which is the tourist site that welcomes the largest number of visitors in the world each year, will definitely provide state-of-the-art services. Supported by the much faster mobile network, the museum will likely be digitalized to such an extent that visitors thousands of miles away may be able to explore it in virtual reality. And those visiting it in person will be able to learn about the treasures it houses in greater detail with the aid of digital technology. In the past 20 years since the museum started to facilitate its work with digital technology, a lot of information about the cultural relics it preser


By China Daily
March 18, 2019