See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

US imposes North Korea-related sanctions on Turkish firm, individuals

The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on a Turkish company and several individuals for their alleged violation of sanctions against North Korea.


Written by

Updated: October 5, 2018

The US Department of the Treasury said it is targeting SIA Falcon International Group for attempting to trade in weapons and luxury goods with North Korea in breach of United Nations sanctions against Pyongyang.

The UN sanctions are designed to deprive the regime of resources to fund its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.

“The international community must not stand idly by as UN sanctions are being circumvented,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement. “The United States is deeply committed to the final, fully verified denuclearization of North Korea, and will continue to enforce and implement sanctions until that time.”

Also being sanctioned are the firm’s CEO, Huseyin Sahin; general manager, Erhan Culha — both Turkish nationals — and a North Korean diplomat.

Ri Song-un, economic and commercial counselor at the North Korean embassy in Mongolia, negotiated trade deals involving weapons and luxury goods with SIA Falcon officials in Turkey earlier this year, the Treasury said.

The South Korean government issued a brief statement on the US move.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs indicated that the move reflects Washington’s position that “it’s imperative to implement sanctions on North Korea, together with dialogue, for the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”

The US announcement came just ahead of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s visit to Pyongyang, where he is to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un Sunday to discuss efforts to dismantle the regime’s nuclear weapons program and set up a second summit with US President Donald Trump.

At the first summit in Singapore in June, Kim committed to work toward “complete” denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula in exchange for security guarantees from the US.

North Korea has since taken steps to dismantle its nuclear and ballistic missile test sites, and demanded “corresponding measures” from the US Those measures are believed to include a joint declaration to formally end the 1950-53 Korean War, which ended only with an armistice, not a peace treaty, and an easing of sanctions against the regime.

Washington has demanded more concrete steps toward denuclearization, such as a full inventory of the North’s nuclear arsenal with verification by outside experts.

In the meantime, the US has said that sanctions must remain in full force.

Thursday’s action freezes any property or interests of the targeted entity and individuals within the US and bans US citizens from dealing with them.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

Two Canadians under investigation

China confirms that two Canadian are under investigation for endangering national security. Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang confirmed on Thursday that compulsory measures have been taken on two Canadian nationals, in accordance with Chinese laws. The Canadians are suspected of engaging in activities endangering national security and the two cases are now under investigation, he told a press conference in Beijing. The Canadian embassy was informed of the cases without delay after necessary procedures were performed, he said, continuing that the legitimate rights and interests of the two Canadians are safeguarded.


By China Daily
December 14, 2018

Diplomacy

S. Korea joins nonbinding migration pact

Migration has a major talking point in Geneva as the UN moves towards a consensus. South Korea joined 163 UN member states in signing a nonbinding migration pact aimed at better handling the rising flow of migrants worldwide, despite growing anti-immigrant sentiment at home. The Global Compact for Migration was formally approved by 164 countries at a two-day conference in Marrakesh, Morocco. It is the first international accord on managing migration. The pact is not legally binding, and signing it would not immediately result in changes in South Korea’s immigration and refugee policies, according to the Foreign Ministry. “The compact is not legally binding, and the document precisely stipulates that each nation has sovereignty over immigration policies,“ the official said on condition of anonymity. “When we formulate our refugee and immigration policies, we could reflect some of th


By The Korea Herald
December 13, 2018

Diplomacy

US sanctions N. Korea over human rights

North Korea condemns the US’ decision to impose sanctions on its high-ranking officials for human rights abuse. The US on Monday imposed sanctions on three senior North Korean officials for human rights abuses, amid Pyongyang’s continued silence in its denuclearization talks with Washington. The US Treasury Department announced the sanctions on Choe Ryong-hae, vice chairman of the ruling Workers’ Party; Jong Kyong-thaek, minister of state security; and Pak Kwang-ho, director of the Propaganda and Agitation Department. The Treasury Department cited “brutal” human rights abuses and censorship as well as the death of American college student Otto Warmbier, who died in June 2017 shortly after he was released from captivity in North Korea, as the reasons behind the sanctions. The sanctions seize assets the officials may have in the US and ban any US entity from financial transactions with th


By The Korea Herald
December 12, 2018

Diplomacy

Xi hopes US, DPRK meet halfway to advance peace

China has played a behind the scenes role in the Trump – Kim peace efforts. President Xi Jinping said on Friday that he hopes Pyongyang and Washington will meet each other halfway and accommodate each other’s legitimate concerns so there can be continuous progress in peninsula peace talks. He made the remark while meeting with Ri Yong-ho, foreign minister of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. This year the situation on the Korean Peninsula has seen some positive changes, and the issue has returned to the right track of political settlement, Xi said. He said China will, as always, support the DPRK and the Republic of Korea in improving their relations and push forward reconciliation and cooperation. He called for continuous and closer communication between the foreign ministries of Beijing and Pyongyang to promote bilateral ties


By China Daily
December 10, 2018

Diplomacy

Beijing summons US ambassador over Huawei arrest

China adds that it rejects US extradition claims. Beijing on Sunday (Dec 9) summoned US Ambassador to China Terry Branstad and demanded that the United States withdraw the arrest warrant against a top Huawei executive detained in Canada. Chinese Vice-Foreign Minister Le Yucheng made solemn representations and lodged strong protests with Mr Bransted for the “unreasonable” request that the US made to Canada to arrest Ms Meng Wanzhou while she was on transit in Vancouver. “China will take further action based on US’ actions,” he said, according to a statement on the Chinese Foreign Ministry’s website released last night, noting the “very nasty nature” of the US action.


By The Straits Times
December 10, 2018

Diplomacy

South Korea knows of North’s secret base

South Korean military says it has long watched North Korea’s ‘unreported’ missile base. The South Korean military said Thursday that Seoul and Washington have long monitored a North Korean missile base that a US media outlet described as an unreported facility capable of launching a long-range ballistic missile. Citing satellite images and analysis from a private think tank, CNN reported Wednesday that the Yeongjeo-dong missile base and a nearby site — previously unreported — remain active and have been continuously upgraded. The South Korean government, which dismissed previous US media reports about North Korea’s undeclared missile bases as “nothing new,” said the Yeongjeo-dong missile base has long been on the surveillance list of the South Korean and US militaries. “It is one of North Korea’s major facilities that the military has tracked and monitored in coordinat


By The Korea Herald
December 7, 2018