See More on Facebook

Politics

Anwar says no plans for Cabinet post

The former opposition leader stresses need for Mahathir to be unaffected by constraints of time or pressure.


Written by

Updated: October 16, 2018

Newly elected lawmaker Anwar Ibrahim said on Monday (Oct 15) that there is no plan for him to take up a Cabinet post after he was sworn in as a Member of Parliament.

He told reporters that he would contribute as a regular MP, when pressed by reporters on his plans for the future.

“I’ve said to Prime Minister Mahathir that I will only support and give my contribution through Parliament and parliamentary reforms, but of course I will interact with the ministers and MPs; that’s part of the job of a Member of Parliament.”

When asked if he would be taking up any Cabinet ministerial position, he replied: “No. I stand by my earlier decision. I don’t intend to serve in any position and I am happy with this position.”

When asked if Mahathir Mohamad had indicated a timeline for him to take over as prime minister, Anwar said: “No, I don’t think that’s an issue as far as I am concerned.”

“Let him have the space and latitude to continue unaffected by the constraints of time or pressure. That’s very important,” Mr Anwar told reporters.

He added that some of the decisions that have to be made by Dr Mahathir and the Malaysian Cabinet require “total unequivocal support by Pakatan Harapan, and that includes me”.

The de facto leader of ruling coalition Pakatan Harapan (PH) garnered 72 per cent of the vote in the Port Dickson by-election last Saturday.

This is the third time Mr Anwar is returning to Parliament in a tumultuous political career that saw him jailed twice. He was released in May after a royal pardon.

Now that he has been sworn in as an MP, he is a step closer to fulfilling the agreement by PH to eventually make him Malaysia’s next prime minister – a move that had been agreed upon by the four component parties of the PH before the May 9 election.

Mr Anwar arrived at around 9.40am on Monday, wearing a set of black baju melayu and songkok, and accompanied by his daughter Nurul Nuha Anwar.

The Port Dickson seat was won by a Parti Keadilan Rakyat lawmaker in the May general elections. He vacated his seat last month to trigger the by-election.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

Communist Party of China calls for efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up

Political Bureau stresses importance of winning three critical battles in 2020. The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee called on Friday for solid efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up, amid tensions in the external environment, to ensure that the goal of building a moderately prosperous society in all respects will be attained next year. The general trend of China’s economy in maintaining stable and long-term positive operation remains unchanged, according to a statement released after the bureau’s meeting, presided over by Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee. China will keep its economic growth within a reasonable range in 2020, with more “forwarding-looking, targeted and effective” policies, the statement said. The nation will pursue a policy framework that allows macro policies to be stable, micro policies


By China Daily
December 9, 2019

Politics

Najib to take the stand today

The former premier is accused of malfeasance. Today is the day that Malaysians will see, for the first in the country’s history, a former prime minister take the stand to answer charges against him in a court of law. Datuk Seri Najib Razak (pic), 66, will testify from the witness box as the first defence witness to rebut his seven charges of misappropriating RM42mil in SRC International Sdn Bhd funds before High Court Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali. According to his co-counsel Harvinderjit Singh, Najib will be called as the first witness on the opening day of the defence’s proceedings. Najib will be first questioned by his defence during examination-in-chief before being cross-examined by the prosecution. On Nov 11, Justice Mohd Nazlan ordered Najib to enter his defence on three counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT), three charges of money laundering and on


By The Star
December 3, 2019

Politics

New parties face drubbing in by-elections as Nepalis continue to vote along party lines

“They failed to convince the voters as to what they would bring to the table if they were given a chance”. Nepalis once again displayed traditional voting patterns as they continued to choose the established parties—Nepal Communist Party and the Nepali Congress—while casting their ballots in Saturday’s by-election, as they snubbed newer parties like Sajha and Bibeksheel. Despite their untiring efforts, focussing primarily on Kaski Constituency-2 in a bid to get a seat in the federal Parliament, both Sajha and Bibeksheel, cut no ice with voters. Both parties have had to fight hard to even secure their deposits, as candidates must garner at least 10 percent of the total votes cast to get back their deposit; a failure to do so is considered humiliating. By-elections were held on Saturday for 52 positions, including a vacant seat in the House of Representatives, three provincial assembly seats


By The Kathmandu Post
December 2, 2019

Politics

Thousands return to Hong Kong streets in fresh round of protests

Police fire tear gas at those outside of approved route. After a week of relative calm, thousands of anti-government protesters took to the streets of Hong Kong on Sunday (Dec 1) chanting slogans such as “revolution of our time” and “liberate Hong Kong”. The protest, which took place in the bustling shopping district of Tsim Tsa Tsui, came after hundreds of people marched to the United States consulate earlier in the day to show “gratitude” for US support for the demonstrations that have roiled the China-ruled financial hub for nearly six months. Waving posters that read “Never forget why you started” and black flags with the logo “Revolution now”, protesters marched past the city’s Kowloon waterfront, home to luxury hotels and shopping malls. Police in riot gear were out in force for the Tsim Sha Tsui march – the third one of the day. The


By The Straits Times
December 2, 2019

Politics

TikTok apologises for blocking American teen’s video about Xinjiang disguised as makeup tutorial

In a statement, TikTok blamed a “human moderation error” for the incident and promised to review its policies. VIdeo-sharing app TikTok apologised for blocking an American teenager’s account after she posted a video about China’s treatment of Muslims in the Xinjiang region that went viral. In a statement, Eric Han, head of safety at TikTok US, blamed a “human moderation error” for the removal of 17-year-old Feroza Aziz’s video, which was disguised as a makeup tutorial and received millions of views across TikTok, Twitter and Instagram. Han said: “Due to a human moderation error, the viral video… was removed. It’s important to clarify that nothing in our community guidelines precludes content such as this video, and it shou


By Dawn
November 29, 2019

Politics

NO MERCY for café attack perpetrators

Sentencing 7 militants to death, court says Holey Artisan attack was designed to assassinate the non-communal character of Bangladesh.  A Dhaka court yesterday sentenced seven militants to death for their involvement in the 2016 Holey Artisan Bakery attack, terming it a disgraceful attack aimed at assassinating the non-communal character of Bangladesh. The Anti-Terrorism Special Tribunal acquitted one accused as it found him not guilty in the atrocity that left 22 people, including 17 foreigners, dead in the capital’s Gulshan. The judgment came more than three years after the country’s deadliest café siege which, according to the court, was aimed at endangering public safety and drawing attention of the international militant organisation IS. The grisly attack followed a spate of target killings of bloggers, writers, members of religious minorities a


By Daily Star
November 28, 2019