See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

Washington proposed suspension of joint air drill in Korea

The suspension of a scheduled air drill between South Korean and US military forces was first proposed by the Pentagon.


Written by

Updated: :42+00

A senior official from the Ministry of National Defense told reporters that while Exercise Vigilant Ace, slated for December, would not go ahead, the South Korean military would proceed with its own unilateral exercises.

The official said that Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis first proposed the idea of suspending the air drill to his South Korean counterpart Jeong Kyung-doo. While Jeong agreed with Mattis in principle, he replied that more discussion was needed to maintain a readiness posture.

“Mattis shared our views after being briefed about our position sufficiently,” said the official, adding that Mattis ordered his staff to review South Korea’s suggestion before the two countries held a Security Consultative Meeting later this month.

The official added that the US was reluctant to carry out a massive exercise involving high-profile assets. Last year’s Vigilant Ace was held on the biggest-ever scale, involving US stealth fighters as a show of force against North Korea’s nuclear and missile tests.

Jeong, who had served as the Air Force Chief of Staff, told Mattis that the air drill doesn’t necessarily involve commitment of massive assets and thus the exercise did not have to be suspended altogether, according to the official.

“Given that the allies’ advanced command and control system, there is a way to conduct the exercise without putting all assets in one place,” said the official. “Minster Jeong told Mattis we could create similar effect even 10,000 kilometers away (from the training area).”

The remark came amid speculation over the difference in the timing and nuance of the suspension announcements. The Pentagon announced the suspension of Exercise Vigilant Ace on Friday, but it took about a day for the South Korean Defense Ministry to confirm its suspension.

In a message sent to reporters Saturday, the Defense Ministry said South Korea and the US agreed on various military options, including the suspension of Exercise Vigilant Ace, to support diplomatic efforts toward North Korea.

The official said a Pentagon spokesperson made the announcement, specifically using the word “suspension,” while Jeong and Mattis were engaged in bilateral consultations last week during a regional security meeting in Singapore.

Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said Washington and Seoul suspended the air drill “to give the diplomatic process every opportunity to continue,” adding that Mattis and Jeong are “committed to modifying training exercises to ensure the readiness of our forces.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

7 of 10 Filipinos worried by presence of Chinese workers

China has increased its presence in the archipelago. The rising presence of Chinese workers in the country worry seven out of 10 adult Filipinos, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey, as the government recently launched a crackdown against Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogos) which mostly employ Chinese nationals. The noncommissioned survey, conducted from Sept. 27 to 30, found that 31 percent “worried a great deal,” while 39 percent are “somewhat worried.” Highest in Metro Manila The proportion of those who were worried about the increasing number of Chinese workers in the country was highest in Metro Manila at 75 percent, followed by the Visayas at 71 percent, Luzon outside Metro Manila (69 percent) and Mindanao (67 percent.) About half of the respondents agree that the rising number of Chinese workers is a threat to national secur


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
December 6, 2019

Diplomacy

Huawei asks US court to overturn ban

The company is suing the FCC, the latest in a series of legal tussles. The legal battle between Huawei Technologies Co and United States government intensified on Thursday. The Chinese tech heavyweight announced a legal challenge to the US Federal Communications Commission, seeking to overturn the latter’s order that bans telecom carriers from buying the company’s equipment via federal subsidies. The move is the latest push by the world’s largest telecom equipment maker to pursue fair competition and treatment amid a slate of restrictions from Washington. Analysts said the FCC ban would have very limited impact on Huawei’s financial performance, but labeling the company as a national security threat would cause far-reaching reputational harm. In a petition filed in the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on Thursday, Huawei asked the court to declare the FCC order un


By China Daily
December 6, 2019

Diplomacy

North Korea has not given up hope for nuclear talks with US yet

Kim has mentioned a possibility of a ‘Christmas’ gift. Tensions between the US and North Korea have heightened as the two sides exchanged threats and bellicose rhetoric of possible military actions if necessary, amid their stalled nuclear talks. But they appear to have no intention to wind up their diplomacy at least for the next few weeks, experts said. On Wednesday, Heino Klinck, US deputy assistant secretary of defense for East Asia, said the US has been refraining from responding to every single one of North On Wednesday, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for East Asia Heino Klinck said the


By The Korea Herald
December 6, 2019

Diplomacy

Chinese FM to visit India this month for boundary talks

The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is expected to visit India later this month to hold boundary talks with National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, sources said on Wednesday. Wang, who is also a State Councillor, and Doval are the designated Special Representatives (SRs) of the two countries for the boundary talks. The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Besides holding boundary talks with the NSA, Wang, a trusted lieutenant of Chinese President Xi Jinping, will meet External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar. He will also call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.


By The Statesman
December 5, 2019

Diplomacy

Pyongyang to hold party meeting ahead of year-end deadline

Kim Jong-un rides up Paektusan again, highlights self-reliance and revolutionary spirit. North Korea will hold a plenary meeting around the end of December to decide on “crucial issues,” its state-run news agency said Wednesday. On the same day, the Korean Central News Agency reported that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un rode up Paektusan on a white horse accompanied by military commanders, raising speculation that the communist regime may take more provocative military actions as the year-end deadline it set for denuclearization talks with the US quickly approaches. North Korea’s Workers’ Party of Korea announced Tuesday that the 5th Plenary Meeting of the 7th Central Committee of the WPK would convene around the end of December, Korea Central News Agency reported, “in order to discuss and decide on crucial issues in line with the needs of the development of the Korean revolution and the chan


By The Korea Herald
December 5, 2019

Diplomacy

Japan, India must deepen ties to ensure regional maritime security

Japan sees China as a growing threat in the Asia Pacific region. It is important for Japan and India to deepen their security cooperation and strive to ensure the safety of sea-lanes. Japan and India have held their first foreign and defense ministers’ meeting — so-called two-plus-two talks — in India and issued a joint statement focusing on the promotion of the “free and open Indo-Pacific” initiative, which has been led by Japan and the United States. The two-plus-two meeting is a framework in which ministers discuss security policies and defense cooperation. India became the seventh country for Japan to hold the dialogue in this style, following the United States and Australia, among others. India last year held a two-plus-two meeting with the United States, making Japan its second country for such a meeting. China has been proceeding with work


By The Japan News
December 3, 2019