See More on Facebook

Curiosity

Dolce & Gabbana ‘racist’ ad leads to Chinese boycott

A racist ad and Instagram post has prompted massive backlash at luxury brand Dolce and Gabbana in China.


Written by

Updated: November 23, 2018

Chinese e-commerce firm Yangmatou has taken 58,000 Dolce & Gabbana (D&G) products off its site, saying “the motherland is more important than anything else”.

On Alibaba’s Tmall shopping portal, a search for D&G returned no results, as did a check on JD.com’s site.

The boycott comes after the Italian fashion house’s Chinese advertising campaign was deemed racist and insensitive, with the fallout also causing the cancellation of its Shanghai show on Wednesday.

A suggestive male voiceover asks: “Is it too big for you?”

The backlash mounted after screenshots of messages sent from D&G’s co-founder Stefano Gabbana’s Instagram account were leaked, including one that said the videos were posted “by my will”, the New York Times reported.

Another message complained of a “China Ignorant Dirty Smelling Mafia”. The brand said its account and that of Gabbana had been hacked, but many Chinese netizens were not buying that.

A commentary on the WeChat account of the official People’s Daily warned that “if one is not willing to understand China, eventually it will lose the China market and the benefits arising from China’s growth”.

Beijing’s tough stand also prompted the brand’s ambassadors for Asia Pacific – singer Karry Wang and actress Dilraba Dilmurat – to end their contracts.

Actress Zhang Ziyi said she would also boycott the brand.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Curiosity

8 Coast Guard personnel found guilty in death of Taiwanese fisherman

The case stems from an incident in 2013. The Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 15 has found eight members of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) guilty in the death of Taiwanese fisherman Hong Shi Cheng off  Batanes in 2013. Found guilty were Commanding Officer Arnold Dela Cruz, Seaman 1st Class (SN1) Edrando Aguila, SN1 Mhelvin Bendo II, SN1 Andy Gibb Golfo, SN1 Sonny Masangcay, SN1 Henry Solomon, SN1 Richard Corpuz and Seaman 2nd Class Nicky Renold Aurelio. The incident strained the relationship between Taiwan and the Philippines.As a result of the incident, the Taiwanese government has stopped the issuance of visas to Filipinos workers seeking jobs in Taiwan. The Philippines sent a representative and delivered the government’s official letter of apology to soothe the strained relations. The PCG in 2013 said its personnel acted in self defense when it opened fire at Taiwanese fishing ve


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
September 18, 2019

Curiosity

Disaster training targets mosquitoes with dengue virus

Japan is preparing for every scenario ahead of Tokyo 2020. As part of preparations for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, disaster training was conducted at the Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden in Tokyo on Monday in a scenario where the dengue virus had been detected in mosquitoes. Monday was the usual weekly closing day of Shinjuku Gyoen, and about 160 people, including staff from the National Institute of Infectious Diseases, participated in the training. During the exercise, they used a method called “human decoy,” in which a person stands in place for eight minutes to attract mosquitoes. They then sprayed insecticide around mosquito concentration points to confirm whether insects would be eliminated. Dengue causes fever, headache and joint pain three to seven days after being bitten by a mosquito carrying the virus. In rare cases, the disease is severe


By The Japan News
September 3, 2019

Curiosity

India successfully places probe in moon’s orbit

Landing attempt will take place on September 7. In a significant step for India’s moon mission, Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft was successfully placed in the moon’s orbit on Tuesday in a nerve-wracking manoeuvre, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said. According to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), the Lunar Orbit Insertion (LOI) was completed successfully at 9.02 am as planned using the onboard propulsion system. All the systems of Chandrayaan-2 are healthy. “The duration of manoeuvre was 1,738 seconds. With this, Chandrayaan-2 was successfully inserted into a lunar orbit. The orbit achieved is 114km X 18,072km,” the ISRO said. The 3,850-kg Chandrayaan-2, a three-module spacecraft comprising an orbiter, Lander Vikram and rover, which was launched on July 22, will make a soft-land on the moon on September 7. The process of setting down Chandrayaan 2 on the Moon i


By The Statesman
August 21, 2019

Curiosity

Here’s how you can protect yourself from dengue

With the possibility of an outbreak, it’s important to understand the disease and recognise its symptoms. The WHO on Monday warned that the Kathmandu Valley might be in for a possible dengue outbreak. According to news published in the Post, in the fiscal year 2018-2019, more than 3,425 people had been infected with the dengue virus—the highest number of infections in 15 years. The mosquito-borne viral disease is transmitted by the female Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus mosquitoes. The same mosquitoes also transmit the chikungunya virus, yellow fever, and Zika virus, according to the WHO. With the lurking threat of the possibility of the disease’s outbreak in


By The Kathmandu Post
August 16, 2019

Curiosity

Plastic straws are slowly being replaced in Kathmandu’s restaurants

Following global concern, a few restaurants in Kathmandu are consciously limiting their use of plastic straws by switching to sustainable alternatives. Twenty-one-year-old Asma Pun enjoys meeting her friends for a drink in cafes. And as much as she prefers to slurp her drinks with a straw, environment-conscious Pun says she has always been hesitant to use plastic ones. That was why, in July last year, when she heard of the global pledge to ban the use of plastic straws, Pun too resolved to use bamboo and copper straws for her daily use. But she had difficulty keeping


By The Kathmandu Post
August 2, 2019

Curiosity

Japanese Govt service to provide businesses with quake damage estimates

The paid service will come into effect after major quakes. The government has decided to roll out a paid service that will send notifications of nationwide damage estimates to companies soon after major earthquakes in the Nankai Trough and elsewhere. The National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience (NIED) will use the system to estimate earthquake intensities, damage to buildings and fatalities in 250-square-meter sections nationwide. This data will be sent via email to paying businesses within 20 minutes of a quake. It is hoped that providing information on potential damage to factories and clients in situations where phones may not be working will help companies get up and running again quickly. Rapid post-disaster recovery The messages are to be sent out by the Real-time Earthquake & Disaster Informati


By The Japan News
July 18, 2019