See More on Facebook

Analysis

South Korea to press on with pro-nuclear move

Korea to continue to go nuclear-free despite Taiwan’s pro-nuclear move.


Written by

Updated: November 27, 2018

Korea will maintain its stance on its anti-nuclear policy in the wake of heated debate over Taiwan’s latest referendum that voted in favor of repealing the nuclear phase-out, according to a senior government official of the Energy Ministry on Monday.

“Taiwanese seemed to decide to abandon its anti-nuclear policy in the wake of a massive blackout in August last year. Although our policy direction is somewhat similar to Taiwan, there are also differences,” a senior official of the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, who asked for anonymity, told reporters Monday.

“Although we will refer to the case of Taiwan, we will (still) push for our energy shift policies by strengthening communication with the public,” he said.

Taiwan — alongside Germany — is one of the countries that the Moon Jae-in administration benchmarked for the nation’s nuclear-free policies. However, as the massive blackout last year caused growing anxiety among Taiwanese over power supply issues, the nation held a referendum Saturday to decide on the fate of the energy source.

As a result, 5,895,560 votes were cast in favor of repealing the nuclear phase-out, accounting for 59 percent of total votes, according to Taiwan’s Central Election Commission on Sunday.

The Korean Energy Ministry said it does not seem appropriate to apply the case of Taiwan directly to Korea.

Korea has enough nuclear power plants to supply power in the long term, therefore it has more room for a stable phase-out, the senior official said.

There are currently 24 nuclear power plants in Korea, with six of them being under inspection. Five new plants are being constructed. In Taiwan, there are two nuclear power plants running.

Korea aims to completely phase out the nation’s nuclear power plants by 2082 as part of the nation’s nuclear-free plan to raise the portion of renewable energy and lower the portion of nuclear energy. Therefore, the operation of all the nuclear power plants will not be extended when the operation period is over.

The senior official also said, “We have no plan to have a joint survey to ask the public about the government’s energy shift policies (with the Korean Nuclear Society).”

“Decision making based on a survey may be right, but it doesn’t seem right for the energy shift policies,” he said.

Last week, the Korean Nuclear Society proposed the government conduct a joint survey over its policies after the government raised doubts over the credibility of the association’s latest survey result. The survey done by the association showed 68 percent of the public are in favor of either maintenance or expansion of nuclear power plants.

This is in contrast to another survey released in June by the privately run Hyundai Research Institute that showed 84.6 percent of respondents approved of the government’s policy to reduce nuclear power plants.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Analysis

Nissan’s misdeeds highlight delay in corporate governance reform

Changes are long overdue at one of the world’s largest auto manufacturers. With Nissan Motor Co. itself being charged on Monday with falsifying securities reports, the automaker’s slowness to implement corporate governance reforms has again come to the fore. Though Nissan aims to accelerate drastic across-the-board managerial reforms, including the establishment of a “remuneration committee” comprising external directors to decide board members’ pay, the firm is expected to face an uphill battle. Responding to the charges against Nissan, President and Chief Executive Officer Hiroto Saikawa told reporters Monday night, “We have taken action because we are determined to fulfill our responsibility as a corporation to disclose [executives’ remuneration].” “We must take prompt measures to tackle the urgent task of [reforming management],”


By The Japan News
December 12, 2018

Analysis

Malaysia to charge ex-prime minister and fund chief over audit tampering

Najib and Arul Kanda will be indicted on Wednesday by prosecutors. Graft prosecutors are set to charge Najib Razak and former 1MDB president Arul Kanda Kandasamy on Wednesday over the tampering of the company’s final audit report. Sources said that the former prime minister will be charged with using his position to instruct the then Auditor-General to remove “certain things” from the report. Arul Kanda will be charged with abetting Najib. The two are expected to be charged at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court. She revealed that the directive to make the changes came from Tan Sri Shukry Salleh, who was then the principal private secretary to Najib when he was prime minister. The changes were allegedly made on Feb 26, 2016 on grounds that it was a sensitive issue.  


By The Star
December 11, 2018

Analysis

Bangladesh 7th most vulnerable to climate change

A new study says the South Asian country faces massive challenges due to climate change and global warming. In a new global index, Bangladesh has been ranked seventh among the countries most affected by extreme weather events in 20 years since 1998. The Long-Term Climate Risk Index listed Puerto Rico and Sri Lanka as the top two affected countries. The index is part of a report, Global Climate Risk Index 2019, which was released at the annual climate summit in Poland’s Katowice city yesterday. The report was prepared analysing damages caused by the extreme weather events that took place from 1998 to 2017. According to the annual climate risk index for


By Daily Star
December 6, 2018

Analysis

Jakarta sinking fast: Experts

Changes must be made or the city faces massive changes within a decade. More than a quarter of Jakarta’s 661.52 square kilometers will be submerged by water in less than a decade, as the sprawling capital will continue to sink rapidly if no significant measures are taken to ensure the survival of the city, experts have warned. Seawater could cover as much as 26.86 percent of Jakarta by 2025 and if this trend continues, 35.61 percent of the city will be completely submerged, according to a study by the geodesy research division of the Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB). “North Jakarta alone could be 90 percent underwater by 2050,” a member of the team Heri Andreas told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday. The city’s looming submergence, according to the study, was not primarily caused by rising sea levels but by the sinking of city itself. ITB’s research into land subsidence


By The Jakarta Post
December 6, 2018

Analysis

China – US trade talks at a crucial crossroad

The next three months crucial for both China and the US. On Saturday, President Xi Jinping met with his American counterpart Donald Trump in Argentina. According to the press releases that followed the meeting, both sides have agreed to halt further tariff escalations and to intensify their efforts at negotiation within the next 90 days, hoping to reach a deal to remove all of the additional tariffs imposed on each other since earlier this year. If these efforts fail, the United States is very likely to further escalate the trade war. The two heads of state have clearly put the brakes on escalating the trade frictions. A truce was reached, and room given for further consultations. These are positive outcomes to begin with. Nevertheless, trade teams from both sides will now engage in a new round of what are certain to be complicated and tough talks in the coming three mont


By China Daily
December 5, 2018

Analysis

Editor of critical website arrested in Philippines

Rappler’s Maria Ressa posts 60k bail after voluntary surrender. Rappler chief executive officer and executive editor Maria Ressa on Monday posted bail amounting to P60,000 for her temporary liberty after a Pasig City court ordered her arrest for tax evasion. Ressa and Rappler are facing five tax evasion cases filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ). Four of the cases were filed before the Court of Tax Appeals and the other one was filed at the Pasig City RTC. Based on the complaint, Ressa and Rappler Holdings Corp. failed to indicate in the company’s 2015 tax returns the total gain of almost P162.5 million from its issuance of Philippine Depositary Receipts (PDRs) to Washington DC-based NBM Rappler LP, a unit of North Base Media and Omidyar Network Find LLC. On Wednesday night, Ressa arrived in the country amid her looming arrest. She maintained the cases filed aga


By Cod Satrusayang
December 4, 2018