See More on Facebook

Culture and society, Current affairs

Bodies of 3 Vietnamese killed in Egypt bomb blast brought home

Terrorist attack on bus was a set back for recovering tourism industry in Egypt.


Written by

Updated: January 8, 2019

The bodies of three Vietnamese people killed in a recent roadside bomb in Egypt were brought back to HCM City on Sunday.

The deceased included two tourists, Trần Hóa Khánh, 57, Nguyễn Thúy Quỳnh, 56, and tour guide Nguyễn Trọng Tiến, 29.

Receiving the bodies at the Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport, an official of the Việt Nam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT) conveyed Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc and Minister of Culture, Sport and Tourism Nguyễn Ngọc Thiện’s deepest condolences to the relatives.

He hailed efforts made by the authorities after the incident in supporting the injured and taking them home.

The same day, Saigontourist Travel Company completed the necessary procedures to take the bodies of the three victims to their homes to organise funerals, said a company representative.

Three people injured are still being treated in Egypt. The company will continue working with the hospital and Bảo Việt Insurance Corporation to take them home as soon as possible, he said.

The three Vietnamese people were killed and 12 others were wounded when a bomb blast hit their bus near the world famous Giza pyramids on December 28. There were 18 people on the bus at that time, including 15 Vietnamese and three Egyptians, said the Vietnamese Embassy in Egypt

 



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Viet Nam News
About the Author: Viet Nam News is one of the country's top English language daily newspapers, providing coverage of the latest domestic and international developments in a range of areas.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Culture and society, Current affairs

Duterte to deport any ICC official investigating his rights record

Many have called on the International Criminal Court to investigate Duterte’s deadly drug war. International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutors will be denied entry and deported if they try to enter the Philippines to investigate President Rodrigo Duterte for crimes against humanity, Malacañang said on Monday. “Certainly we will not allow any attempt at interfering with the sovereignty of this country,” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo told reporters a day after the Philippines’ withdrawal from the ICC became official. The President withdrew the Philippines from the world’s only permanent war crimes tribunal last year after ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda announced that she had opened a preliminary examination of information brought against the Philippine leader about thousands of extrajudicial killings in his brutal war on drugs. Investigation can go on


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
March 19, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Flooding death toll climbs to 50 in Indonesia

Aid agencies say evacuees in ‘urgent’ need of help. As of Sunday afternoon, at least 50 people were reported killed and 273 families had been left homeless following a flash flood in Jayapura regency, Papua. The flash flood occurred after heavy downpours in the area from Saturday afternoon to the early hours of Sunday. Jayapura Regent Matius Awoitauw told The Jakarta Post on Sunday that the survivors were in “urgent need” of emergency aid such as food and medication and facilities for burying the dead. Currently, 200 people are taking refuge at his residence while 1,400 others are sheltering in nearby schools. Dead bodies are being taken to hospitals in the region for identification purposes. He added that the regional government was working with the National Police and the Indonesian Military to record and evacuate any other residents from the area while building publi


By The Jakarta Post
March 19, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

South Korea says punishing women for abortion unconstitutional

The decision was made by the country’s National Human Rights Commission. The National Human Rights Commission of Korea has delivered its opinion to the Constitutional Court that criminal penalties for women who undergo abortion, as well as doctors who perform them, are unconstitutional. The current law on abortion violates the right to self-determination, among others, the rights panel said Monday. Marking the first time the rights panel has ever expressed an official position on the highly volatile issue, it sent its statement to the court last week ahead of next month’s ruling on the constitutionality of the nation’s abortion laws.


By The Korea Herald
March 19, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

The Pakistani victims of the New Zealand terror attacks

Remembering the Pakistani victims of the terror attacks. Nine Pakistanis were among the 49 victims of a terror attackon two mosques that rattled the otherwise serene New Zealand city of Christchurch on Friday. Six of the deaths were confirmed on Saturday while three more were confirmed on Sunday. Below is a compilation of all the facts so far known about the nine Pakistani victims: Naeem Rashid


By Dawn
March 18, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

At least 49 killed in terror attacks on Christchurch mosques

Many worshipers from Southeast Asia were present at the mosque at the time of the shooting. At least forty-nine people were killed and dozens injured in shootings at two mosques in New Zealand’s second-largest city of Christchurch on Friday (March 15) in what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said was a well-planned terror attack, forcing the government to place the country on its highest security threat level, the Straits Times reported.  Police said all mosques in the country have been asked to close their doors. Christchurch was also initially placed under lockdown. Ms Ardern said Friday was “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”. “This can only be described as a terrorist attack,” Ms Ardern sai


By ANN Members
March 15, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Universities turn blind eye to sexual harassment, abuse in Indonesia

The Jakarta Post has collaborated with media organizations Tirto.id and VICE Indonesia look into survivors’ stories. After huge public pressure and several reports of sexual harassment and abuse in Gadjah Mada University (UGM), the university finally set up a special team to formulate a policy to prevent and handle sexual violence on campus. The head of the team, a senior scholar on public policy, Muhadjir Darwin, said it had finished the first draft and it was being examined by a string of gender experts from various universities. “We’re also meeting with students to finalize the draft,” he said in a recent interview for the #NamaBaikKampus collaboration. He admitted that such a move should have been made a long time ago but when the draft is finished and passed as a university regulation, he said it would be the first of its kind in the country. Indeed, it took UGM a long time


By The Jakarta Post
March 15, 2019