See More on Facebook

Business

Ghosn declares innocence in 1st appearance in court

He may stay six months in jail while awaiting trial.


Written by

Updated: January 9, 2019

Carlos Ghosn, the former Nissan Motor Co. chairman rearrested on suspicion of aggravated breach of trust under the Companies Law, denied the suspicions in a court hearing held Tuesday to disclose the grounds of his prolonged detention.

Appearing in court, Ghosn, 64, said in his statement of opinion that he had been wrongly accused and unfairly detained based on groundless accusations.

His lawyers intend to request that the court annul the detention after the hearing ends.

It was Ghosn’s first public appearance since he was arrested on Nov. 19 by the special investigation squad of the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office on suspicion of violating the Financial Instruments and Exchange Law by understating his executive remuneration in the company’s securities reports.

Appearing in court in a blackish suit at 10:30 a.m., he seemed somewhat thinner, with his jaw leaner. During questions put to the accused by Presiding Judge Yuichi Tada to establish his identity, Ghosn clearly stated his name and other details.

Ghosn was rearrested on suspicions of aggravated breach of trust that inflicted damage on Nissan. Those suspicions include that he had a valuation loss of about ¥1.85 billion, which he had incurred through his private investment, transferred to Nissan and that he had a total of $14.7 million (about ¥1.6 billion at the current exchange rate) of Nissan’s funds sent to an acquaintance in Saudi Arabia who helped him over guaranteeing credit for the investment contract.

After explaining these charges, the judge said, “Considering the content and nature of the case, the defendant’s depositions and so forth, there is a fear of the defendant approaching officials concerned to destroy evidence.”

The judge also said there is a possibility of Ghosn fleeing the country, as he has bases for living abroad.

Afterward, the hearing of the statement of opinions was held, in which Ghosn said with emphasis that he never inflicted damage on Nissan with the transfer of the valuation loss, one of the two suspicions.

With regard to the provision of money to his acquaintance, Ghosn explained that it was not a private disbursement but was made as compensation on the basis of a request from the acquaintance’s company, and with internal approval at Nissan.

The lawyers made a request to the court on Jan. 4 to disclose the reasons for the continued detention. During an interview held earlier, the defense said there are no suspicions that would support the continued detention and said they would ask the court to explain the reasons for the detention.

After he was arrested on suspicion of violating the Financial Instruments and Exchange Law on Nov. 19, he was indicted on Dec. 10. On the same day, he was rearrested on suspicion of violating the same law.

As the prosecution’s request for extending the detention related to the second arrest was not approved by the court later the same month, there emerged a possibility of his being bailed out. But on Dec. 21, he was rearrested on suspicion of aggravated breach of trust. The court approved his detention for this case until Jan. 11.

Grounds for detention

Disclosure of the grounds for detention is a procedure stipulated in the Code of Criminal Procedure, saying that the court shall explain at a public hearing the reasons to those suspects or defendants under detention, on the basis of Article 34 of the Constitution, which prohibits detention without adequate cause.

It is to be held within five days upon a request made by the suspect or the defendant party. In principle, the suspect or defendant himself and a defense counsel appear before the court, each allowed to state opinions before a judge for no longer than 10 minutes.

Also at the hearing, the judge states which of the required conditions for detention — such as of the likelihood of the destruction of evidence and flight risk — have constituted the grounds for detention, and then explains the circumstances to support the existence of those conditions.

The rights and wrongs of the detention, which have been decided following the arrest, are not reconsidered by the judge at this hearing. After listening to the judge’s explanation, the defendant party needs to make another request, if it seeks annulment of the detention.

According to judiciary statistics, about 100,000 detention decisions were made by the courts in the country in 2017. There were only 474 cases — less than 1 percent of the total — whereby the procedures for requesting disclosure of the grounds for detention were carried out.

There has been criticism from lawyers and others who say, “The grounds disclosed by judges are abstract, and the system has been eviscerated.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business

Huawei asks US court to overturn ban

The company is suing the FCC, the latest in a series of legal tussles. The legal battle between Huawei Technologies Co and United States government intensified on Thursday. The Chinese tech heavyweight announced a legal challenge to the US Federal Communications Commission, seeking to overturn the latter’s order that bans telecom carriers from buying the company’s equipment via federal subsidies. The move is the latest push by the world’s largest telecom equipment maker to pursue fair competition and treatment amid a slate of restrictions from Washington. Analysts said the FCC ban would have very limited impact on Huawei’s financial performance, but labeling the company as a national security threat would cause far-reaching reputational harm. In a petition filed in the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on Thursday, Huawei asked the court to declare the FCC order un


By China Daily
December 6, 2019

Business

Is Vietnam an attractive place for Samsung chip plant?

The tech giant already has manufacturing plants in the country. Is Vietnam a good place for chipmakers to consider building a high-tech plant? In light of a request by the Vietnamese head of state to Samsung Electronics, the world’s largest chipmaker, many in South Korea are asking whether it is a viable business move. In a private meeting held in Seoul on Thursday, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc asked Samsung Electronics Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong to consider building a chip manufacturing facility there. The Korean tech giant already has production plants for mobile phones and other IT devices in the country. Following the re


By The Korea Herald
December 2, 2019

Business

Nepal’s luxury hotels are growing but the rooms are empty

There are 15 five-star hotels in the country, and a dozen more are being planned even as existing hotels continue to report a significant drop in profit. High-end hotels might be proliferating across the country but there aren’t enough guests to fill them up, according to the financial reports of Nepal’s three key five-star institutions. The first quarter financial reports from Taragaon Regency Hotels, Soaltee Hotel and Oriental Hotels, all of which are listed on the Nepal Stock Exchange, showed that profits have taken a nosedive after posting record profits last fiscal year. The first quarter of the fiscal year runs from mid-July to the end of September. The three hotel groups say that unhealthy competition, like price undercutting, a demand-and-supply gap, and a growing number of backpackers are behind the sharp fall in earnings. According to its report, Oriental Hotels, which operates Radi


By The Kathmandu Post
November 21, 2019

Business

Huawei to match Google’s mobile services by Q1 2020

The company to support more Android apps on its phones. Huawei may soon be able to offer Android developers a full range of the essential mobile services required for their apps as the ones provided by Google. This would allow more Android apps to work on new Huawei phones affected by a ban that forbids the use of Google mobile services on these handsets. Mr Zhang Ping’an, president of Huawei Consumer Cloud Service told The Straits Times in an interview at Huawei’s Asia-Pacific Developer Day last Wednesday (Nov 13) that Huawei Mobile Services can “replace 90 per cent of Google Mobile Services by December”. These mobile services from Google and Huawei are used by developers to enable key functions in their mobile apps to, for


By The Straits Times
November 21, 2019

Business

Excessive discounts worked against Nissan Motor profits

The company has been on the back foot since its former CEO was accused of mismanagement. Nissan Motor Co. has reported a massive 85 percent decline in operating profits — an area that indicates the strength or weakness of a company’s main business — in its midterm consolidated financial report for the half fiscal year ending in September. The pursuit of increased sales has harmed profitability, delaying the development of new Nissan models. That in turn has resulted in fewer sales — a vicious cycle the automaker is struggling to escape from. Nissan Motor’s deteriorating business performance may affect its three-way partnership with Renault SA, the French automaker that is its largest shareholder, and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Failed strategy by Ghosn Nissan Corporate Vice President Stephen Ma, who will become chief financial officer on Dec. 1


By The Japan News
November 14, 2019

Business

US property loses allure for Chinese buyers

Economic factors contribute to falling demand.  Over the past 10 months, Bei Qin, a realtor in Silicon Valley, California, has not had any clients from China, a market that used to be her major source of business. “We had the best business in 2016 and 2017. Every day, we had inquiries from Chinese buyers and every week our WeChat account had more than 10 new subscribers,” said Qin, president of ACEQ Investment Group in Cupertino. “Now those days are gone.” After a decade of increasing investment by wealthy Chinese in residential property purchases in the United States-the biggest proportion of international buyers for seven consecutive y


By China Daily
November 12, 2019