See More on Facebook

Current affairs

At least 20 killed as twin bombing hits southern Philippine church

Separatist terrorists are suspected.


Written by

Updated: January 28, 2019

At least 20 people were killed and dozens injured early on Sunday (Jan 27) morning when two bombs exploded at a Roman Catholic cathedral in the mainly Muslim province of Sulu.

It is one of the deadliest attacks in recent years in the Philippines’ restive south.

The first bomb went off at around 8am, during a mass inside the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Jolo, a poverty-wracked island of some 700,000.

A second blast, purportedly from a bomb stashed inside a motorcycle, followed minutes later at a carpark outside the compound, as those inside the cathedral were fleeing and as government forces were responding to the attack.

Military spokesman Brigadier-General Edgard Arevalo tallied 17 dead as of 11am, including five soldiers sent to secure the cathedral.

Just before noon, the number climbed to at least 19 killed, police chief Director-General Oscar Albayalde said, citing unconfirmed reports from his field commanders.

Hours later, Chief Superintendent Graciano Mijares, police director in the region that covers Sulu, said in a radio interview that 27 had already died.

He revised that late in the afternoon to 20, with 81 wounded, including 14 soldiers and two men from the Coast Guard. His spokesman said there was “miscommunication” with the hospitals who took in the dead and wounded.

Images on social media and photos released by the military showed debris and bodies lying on a busy street outside the cathedral, which had been hit by bombs in the past.

Troops in armoured carriers sealed off the main road leading to the church, while vehicles transported the dead and wounded to the hospital. The military said it airlifted some of the wounded to the nearby city of Zamboanga for medical treatment.

President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman Salvador Panelo said in a text message: “The enemies of the state have boldly challenged the capability of the government to secure the safety of the citizenry in that region.

“The (military) will rise to the challenge and crush these godless criminals… We will pursue to the ends of the earth the ruthless perpetrators behind this dastardly crime until every killer is brought to justice and put behind bars.

“The law will give them no mercy,” he said.

Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement that he had “directed our troops to heighten their alert level, secure all places of worship and public places at once, and initiate proactive security measures to thwart hostile plans”.

General Benjamin Madrigal, the military chief, called the attack a “treachery”, and said he had already ordered security forces “to pursue the criminals with the full force of the law”.

No one has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

“We don’t have any lead yet. We’re looking at different threat groups in the area. We can’t say yet if this has anything to do with the recent plebiscite,” said Mr Albayalde.

The attack came nearly a week after more than 1.5 million Muslims, a minority in the predominantly Catholic nation, overwhelmingly approved a more powerful autonomous region in the Philippines’ south.

They had voted for the new, self-administered region called the “Bangsamoro”, or nation of Moros, in the war-torn island of Mindanao, in hopes of ending nearly five decades of a separatist rebellion that has left over 150,000 people dead.

The Bangsamoro law is the product of years of often tumultuous negotiations between the government in Manila and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), the main rebel group.

Voters in Sulu, however, rejected it.

The province is home to a rival rebel faction that is opposed to the deal, as well as the Abu Sayyaf group, which is not part of any peace process.

The Abu Sayyaf, a gang of self-styled Islamic militants founded in the 1990s with seed money from the Al-Qaeda network, has long used Sulu as a base, carrying out kidnappings and bombings.

It has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Though Abu Sayyaf officially has a separatist Islamist agenda, it has capitalised on decades of instability in Mindanao to generate tens of millions of dollars from piracy and ransom payments.

The group is still holding at least five hostages – a Dutch national, two Malaysians, an Indonesian and a Filipino – in their jungle bases mostly near Sulu’s Patikul town, not far from Jolo.

The Abu Sayyaf is believed to have carried out the worst terror attacks in Philippine history, including the bombing of a passenger ferry in Manila Bay that killed more than 100 people in 2004.

Mr Mujiv Hataman, governor of the current Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao that the Bangsamoro region will replace by 2022, told the online news site Rappler he was “99 per cent certain” the Abu Sayyaf was behind Sunday’s attack.

The government is hoping the new Bangsamoro region, with former top rebels from the MILF at the helm, can rein in a new wave of Islamist radicals sweeping across Mindanao.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs

Hong Kong police deploy water cannon, tear gas to disperse radical protesters

More protests erupted this week, the third month of continuous weekend protest. Hong Kong police fired water cannons and volleys of tear gas to break up protesters throwing petrol bombs and bricks near the Legislative Council (LegCo) building and central government offices on Sunday (Sept 15), the latest in weeks of sometimes-violent unrest. One water-cannon truck parked behind water-filled barriers surrounding the government headquarters complex caught fire after being hit by a petrol bomb, but the flames were quickly put out by police. After repeated warnings failed to disperse the protesters, police fired water cannons laced with blue dye as well as volleys of tear gas to break up the demonstrators. In other countries, dye is added to the water to help identify protesters later. Meanwhile, the LegCo Secretariat issued a red alert informing all persons to evacuate the LegCo Complex immediately.


By The Straits Times
September 16, 2019

Current affairs

1 killed, at least 30 injured in Yokohama derailment

The train crashed into a truck at a road crossing. One person was killed and at least 30 injured when the first three cars of an express train on the Keikyu Line derailed after the train collided with a truck at a crossing in Kanagawa Ward, Yokohama, at around 11:40 a.m. Thursday. The person killed was believed to be the 67-year-old male driver of the truck. Black smoke and flames were seen at the crossing, which is located between Kanagawa-Shinmachi Station and Nakakido Station on the Keikyu Line. According to the Kanagawa prefectural police and Keikyu Corp., the train departed from Aoto Station bound for Misakiguchi Station. It collided with the truck, which entered the crossing from the train’s right side just after the train passed Kanagawa-Shinmachi Station. The train’s next scheduled stop was Yokohama Station.


By The Japan News
September 6, 2019

Current affairs

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam says scrapping extradition Bill ‘first step’ in breaking deadlock

Protesters have not said how they will react to bill being scrapped. Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said on Thursday (Sept 5) that her decision to scrap the extradition legislation was only the “first step” to addressing the city’s unrest, after protesters said the Chief Executive’s concessions fell short of their demands. Mrs Lam told a news conference that her decision to formally withdraw the controversial Bill allowing extraditions to China, and other moves, would only be the “first step to break the deadlock in society”. The legislation sparked almost three months of protests and its withdrawal has been a key demand of demonstrators who were engaged in increasingly violent clashes with police. Denying she changed her mind, Mrs Lam said the decision to withdraw


By The Straits Times
September 6, 2019

Current affairs

No SIM card for Rohingyas

BTRC tells mobile phone operators to stop providing sim cards in refugee camps.  To stop Rohingya refugees from using mobile phones, the BTRC and carriers yesterday decided to halt sale of SIM cards in Ukhia and Teknaf upazilas of Cox’s Bazar until further notice. They also decided to suspend 3G and 4G services in the upazilas between 5:00pm and 5:00am every day and make sure that signal from Bangladesh’s carriers cannot be received from Myanmar, officials said. Since there are about 8-9 lakh active SIMs in the Rohingya camp areas, the cell phone carriers were asked to check the database of national identity cards and find out to whom the SIMs were registered. The decisions came at a meeting between the cell phone carriers and Bangla


By Daily Star
September 3, 2019

Current affairs

Curbing Rohingya Crimes: New police unit on cards

The unit will patrol refugee camps for crimes being committed. A brand new 800-member police battalion may soon be formed to deal with the rise in crimes committed by refugees from Myanmar in the 30 Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar. It would be the second such special unit in district, as one had already been approved at the end of last year. The new battalion, which is considered needed on an emergency basis, is just one of the suggestions submitted by the district police to the Police Headquarters in May. The others include setting up a temporary court in either Ukhia or Teknaf, forming three police stations and a number of police investigation centres, and installing closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras at different points in the camp, along with a security fence around the camps’ perimeter. The measures are aimed at reducing the rising crime rates and prevent further untoward situations.


By Daily Star
August 27, 2019

Current affairs

Fresh clashes in Hong Kong protests

Hong Kong protesters clash with police, angry at lack of prosecutions after July subway mob attack. Thousands of jeering Hong Kong residents held a raucous anti-government protest on Wednesday (Aug 21) at a suburban subway station that was attacked by a mob last month, angry that nobody has yet been prosecuted for the violence. Some masked protesters clashed with police in the sub-tropical heat, spraying fire extinguishers from the inside of Yuen Long station as others smeared the floor with cooking oil to stop the police advancing. Some demonstrators blocked station exits and sealed roads outside the station, aiming green laser beams at the lines of shield-bearing officers. Others threw empty fire extinguishers at police lines from overpasses. It was the latest in a series of demonstrations, which have sometimes turned violent, since June against a perceived erosion


By The Straits Times
August 22, 2019