See More on Facebook

Analysis, Diplomacy

Will US wade into Seoul-Tokyo military dispute?

Washington has so far kept out the spat between its two closest allies in the Asia Pacific region.


Written by

Updated: January 31, 2019

As the Seoul-Tokyo spat over Japanese warplanes’ flights over South Korean Navy ships continues, eyes have turned to the possible intervention of the US in the escalating dispute between its two core allies in Asia.

While the US has been maintaining its silence on the issue, Harry Harris, the US ambassador to Korea, made an unannounced visit to the Ministry of National Defense to speak with Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo on Monday.

The Defense Ministry said the ambassador’s visit was previously planned as a New Year’s greeting, but added it could not reveal what was said, as it was a closed-door meeting.

Still, speculation is high that the two leaders might have discussed pending issues, including the military dispute between Seoul and Tokyo, during the talk that lasted about 1 hour and 20 minutes. They may also have talked about negotiations over Seoul’s sharing of the costs of stationing US troops in Korea.

The US ambassador also held a 15-minute meeting with Korea’s Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha later Monday.

Lt. Gen. Jerry Martinez, commander of the US Forces Japan, also reportedly met with Japanese Defense Minister Iwaya Takeshi on Tuesday afternoon for a courtesy visit. He was expected to speak about pending issues.

During a press conference earlier in the day, the Japanese minister had urged Korea to accept that its warplanes are flying according to international air regulations, according to a Japanese news report.

Takeshi also said he will seek “dialogue” with Korea to build trust, and hinted at his willingness to hold a high-level meeting.

Over a month has passed since the military spat began, when Tokyo accused Seoul’s naval warship of locking its weapons-targeting radar onto its warplane. Rejecting the allegation, Seoul fired back and criticized Tokyo for flying its maritime patrol aircraft too closely to the South Korean warship.

The two sides held a general-level meeting, but the dispute has continued with no signs of abating. Although the Japanese government has appeared to discuss the issue with Washington on several occasions, the US has not delivered its stance.

The Defense Ministry here said it was exchanging data over the issue with the US, but added that the warplane dispute is a matter to be discussed with Japan.

On Tuesday, the ministry also reiterated the need for Japan to provide “objective” and “scientific” evidence to resolve the issue and that the door for dialogue is always open.

Meanwhile, Seoul’s Foreign Ministry officials in charge of US affairs will depart for Japan on Wednesday for a two-day trip to UN-flagged military bases there, the ministry said Tuesday.

A similar conflict occurred between Japan and China in 2013, with Tokyo claiming a Chinese convoy aimed its fire radar at its naval vessel in the East China Sea. Tokyo said it had photographs and video clips as clear proof, but did not release them to the public at the time.

Denying the accusation, China likewise criticized Japan for flying its reconnaissance plane at low altitudes too closely to its warships. The dispute only ended after the US stepped in and criticized Beijing, calling its actions “provocations that can become a threat.”

“The US has its own priorities, with the (summit on) denuclearization with North Korea coming up, and I believe the Korea-Japan dispute did not appear to be so serious to (US leaders) at first,” said Moon Keun-sik, a retired Navy captain currently leading the Korea Defense Forum.

“The US must be well-informed of situations here. But as the dispute appears to continue and sour relations, I think the US has decided to step in before it gets worse.”

Putting aside that the US President Donald Trump administration is different from his predecessor, both countries are allies to the US and it must have been more difficult for it to jump in for a resolution, Moon added.

Korean lawmakers on Wednesday also raised their voices, labeling Japan’s actions “provocative.” Led by Rep. Ahn Gyu-back from the ruling Democratic Party of Korea, who chairs the parliamentary defense committee, 34 lawmakers across the aisle issued a resolution demanding the neighboring country apologize and promise to prevent similar incidents in the future.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Analysis, Diplomacy

US ready for talks with N. Korea, but not in a hurry

The State Department has responded to Kim Jong-un’s letter to President Trump. The US State Department said Wednesday that it is ready to hold working-level talks with North Korea on relinquishing its nuclear arsenal after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un sent a letter to US President Donald Trump, the first direct contact between the two leaders in months. During a press briefing, US State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus reaffirmed that the country is seeking to achieve lasting peace and the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. “Here at the State Department we are ready and willing to continue engagement on working-leve


By The Korea Herald
June 14, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

China acknowledges Pakistan’s efforts in ‘combating terrorism, extremism’

The foreign ministers of both countries made the statement after a bilateral visit. China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Wednesday appreciated Pakistan’s efforts “in firmly combating terrorism and extremism”, noting that Islamabad had Beijing’s support in the implementation of the National Action Plan (NAP), according to a joint statement issued by the two countries. Yi’s evaluation came following a meeting with his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi, who is currently on an official tour of China. “The Chinese side called on the international community to view Pakistan’s counterterrorism efforts and contributions in an objective and fair manner, and to strengthen dialogue and cooperation with Pakistan,” the joint statement read. Both sides also noted that it was a “diplomatic priority” to further strengthen the “all-weathe


By Dawn
June 14, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

No talks with Pakistan till it stops exporting terror, Modi says

Modi said India has not seen any change in Pakistan’s attitude on dealing with terrorism. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday made it clear to Chinese President Xi Jinping that there was no question of India resuming dialogue with Pakistan until Islamabad created an atmosphere free of terrorism in the region. At a meeting with the Chinese leader on the margins of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit in the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek, Modi said India has not seen any change in Pakistan’s attitude on dealing with terrorism emanating from its soil. Making it abundantly clear to Beijing that India was committed to bilateral mechanism for resolving all issues with Pakistan, he said all efforts by New Delhi for peace with Islamabad had been derailed. Incidentally, the comments came when Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan was also in Bishkek for the SCO Summit. Briefing reporters o


By The Statesman
June 14, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

Beijing slams unrest and backs HK govt’s use of lawful means to tackle it

Protests have shut down Hong Kong for the past several days before a government crackdown. Beijing yesterday condemned the unrest that broke out in Hong Kong over the city’s extradition Bill as an organised riot, and said it supported the local government’s use of lawful means to resolve the situation. Asked if the central government supported the use of rubber bullets and tear gas on protesters on Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said that mainstream public opinion in Hong Kong was against any act that undermines the city’s prosperity and stability. “Any civilised and lawful society will not tolerate the destruction of peace and tranquillity,” he said. “The Chinese central government strongly condemns all types of violence and supports the Hong Kong government to handle the matter according to the law.” Chinese state media


By The Straits Times
June 14, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

Capitalizing on moderate Islam at Osaka’s G20 summit

Indonesia has a unique position among G20 countries. In an exclusive interview with The Jakarta Post on Tuesday, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo yet again demonstrated his disinterest in foreign affairs issues. This goes against the expectations of many Indonesian and foreign diplomats, who would like to see him build his own legacy in international diplomacy in his second term in office after focusing on domestic issues in his first term. Jokowi is slated to attend two summits this month, the biannual ASEAN Summit in Bangkok next week and the annual G20 Summit in Osaka, Japan, on June 28 and 29. When asked about his likely presence and personal involvement at international fora in his second term, Jokowi said he would be more focused on domestic issues. He said he only felt obliged to attend several unilateral meetings, such as the summits of G20 and ASEAN. “I think domest


By The Jakarta Post
June 13, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

Chinese vessel abandons PH boat after collision

Chinese ships rammed a Philippines fishing boat in contested territory. A Chinese fishing vessel abandoned a sinking Philippine fishing boat after hitting it at Recto Bank in the South China Sea earlier this week, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana reported on Wednesday. Lorenzana condemned the hit-and-run and called for an investigation and diplomatic action. “We denounce the actions of the Chinese fishing vessel for immediately leaving the incident scene abandoning the 22 Filipino crewmen to the mercy of the elements,” he said in a statement. “We condemn in the strongest terms the cowardly action of the Chinese fishing vessel and its crew for abandoning the Filipino crew. This is not the expected action from a responsible and friendly people,” he said. Fled the scene The incident happened on Sunday night.


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
June 13, 2019