See More on Facebook

Current affairs

India complains to twitter over bias against conservatives

The government confirmed that it was in talks with the tech giant over perceived bias on the platform.


Written by

Updated: February 7, 2019

Twitter India has confirmed that it is in talks with the Indian government following complaints against it of “discriminatory and unfair practices” by an activist-lawyer.

The Indian Parliament’s Standing Committee on Information Technology, led by Anurag Thakur, a high-profile legislator of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), has summoned Twitter officials to appear before it on 11 February to answer questions on its alleged bias against right-wing/centre-right accounts.

The BJP and many others independent of party affiliations but with centre-right or right-wing beliefs term the views expressed on these twitter accounts as “nationalist.” The allegation against Twitter is that it is suspending accounts which either support “Indic ideals or the current government”.

Social and traditional media in India is abuzz with parallels being drawn between these developments and the appearance of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg before the US Senate Committee to answer questions on privacy, data mining and bias.

It is unclear, however, who will represent Twitter at the 11 February meeting called by the Indian Parliamentary Committee.

The issue has acquired political overtones and polarised opinion in the country as India heads for a general election in April-May 2019.

The micro-blogging platform in a statement said it is in touch with the Indian government on the issue: “Discussions with the government on this issue are currently on and nothing further can be said till further clarity.”

The Parliamentary Committee will examine the issue of “Safeguarding citizens’ rights on social media/online news platforms”, the BJP MP who heads it tweeted today.

The chain of events was sparked off by activist-lawyer Ishkaran Singh Bhandari who met the Indian Interior (home) Minister Rajnath Singh last week with a detailed representation alleging “discriminatory and unfair practices” by Twitter, which he said were a “threat to national security”.

As India gears up for polls, owners of global social media platforms are in a huddle over how to curb the spread of misinformation and fake news in the country on their platforms.

Addressing a town-hall meeting at the Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi in November 2018, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey had said the company was taking “multi-variable steps” to curb the spread of misleading information ahead of the 2019 general election.

Twitter’s growth trajectory in India, though it is still behind WhatsApp, has been going up steadily.

 



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Statesman
About the Author: The Statesman is one of India’s oldest English newspapers and a founding member of Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs

SAARC turns 35 but has very little to show for its age

The regional bloc of seven South Asian countries and Afghanistan has largely been held hostage to the rivalry between India and Pakistan, say analysts. The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation might have turned 35 but its three-and-a-half decades of existence has largely failed to advance its own central tenet—regional cooperation. As SAARC marked its 35th anniversary with a flurry of congratulatory messages from heads of government, expressing their commitment to regional cooperation, many analysts and diplomats wonder if these promises will ever translate into action. The regional association has failed to hold its 19th summit, ever since 2016 when India sud


By The Kathmandu Post
December 9, 2019

Current affairs

Why Hong Kong residents turned out in record numbers to vote

Many say events of past 5 months galvanised their desire to exercise their democratic right. Amid mild autumn weather and under a clear blue sky in Lek Yuen, the oldest public housing estate in Hong Kong’s Sha Tin, a snaking queue formed outside the community hall shortly after dawn yesterday. It was the constituency’s polling station of the day, and hundreds were in the line before the opening time of 7.30am to vote for their district councillor, one of the lowest rungs of Hong Kong’s elected offices. The scene was repeated across the territory’s 18 districts, where nearly three million people showed up to vote in elections that are usually a quiet affair, with chosen officials confined to dealing with noise complaints and local infrastructure improvement projects. The officials, however, also represent 117 of the 1,200-strong Election Committee that chooses the city̵


By The Straits Times
November 25, 2019

Current affairs

Nearly 1,000 China nationals nabbed in Malaysia

They are believed to be online scam workers. Malaysian authorities have nabbed nearly 1,000 China nationals who were believed to be working in the country with an online scam syndicate, local media reported. The bust on Wednesday (Nov 20) by the Immigration Department in Cyberjaya was the biggest conducted this year, Bernama news agency said. On its Facebook, department said the raid was conducted at the syndicate’s headquarters in Cyberjaya. Immigration director-general Khairul Dzaimee Daud said the syndicate was operating from a six-storey building in Cyberjaya, a high-technology zone located about an hour south of Kuala Lumpur. The raid was the end result of a month’s worth of surveillance, following complaints from the public. The office was well secured, with guards stationed at each floor and rooms only being accessible with access cards, The Star reported.


By The Straits Times
November 22, 2019

Current affairs

MH17 probe releases new phone calls linking suspects to top Russians

With contributions by AFP. A Dutch-led probe into the shooting-down of flight MH17 over Ukraine in 2014 released new intercepted phone calls on Thursday (Nov 14) between high-ranking Russian officials and suspects facing trial over the crash. Investigators said they were making a “new witness appeal” based on “recorded telephone calls between the leaders of the DPR (Donetsk People’s Republic, a separatist group) and high-ranking Russian officials.” “Ties between Russian officials and DPR leaders appear to have been much closer” than originally believed, Mr Andy Kraag, the head of Dutch police’s Criminal Investigations Division, said in a video statement. Investigators said in June that they were going to put three Rus


By Warren Fernandez
November 15, 2019

Current affairs

Five years later, prosecutorial probe kicks off into Sewol ferry sinking

For some families, it is too little, too late. The Supreme Prosecutors’ Office on Monday launched a special investigation unit to probe allegations surrounding the sinking of the Sewol ferry in 2014. During a press briefing at the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office, the unit said it is “committed to making its probe so thorough that it will be the last one to be conducted into the Sewol sinking.” The unit will take on investigations conducted by a provisional state commission formed in January 2015 with a fact-finding mission on the Sewol case. This is the prosecution’s first organized effort concerning the disaster from over five years ago. On April 16, 2014, the 6,825-ton ferry with a passenger capacity of 921 sank off the coast of South Jeolla Province en route to Jeju Island, killing over 300 people, mostly children. The 18-member prosecution unit is headed by


By Zaffar Abbas
November 12, 2019

Current affairs

Ayodhya verdict is silent on why Muslims must prove exclusive possession of site

The Indian court has deprived Muslims of the disputed plot because they couldn’t show exclusive possession before 1857. On page 215 of the Ayodhya-Babri Masjid verdict, delivered by a five-judge bench on Saturday, the Supreme Court makes a crucial statement of logic: “It is true that in matters of faith and belief, the absence of evidence may not be evidence of absence.” But in its final findings, the court contradicted this same logic. The crux of the judgment that India has awaited since 1949 is that Muslims failed to show unimpeded possession of the disputed site in Ayodhya between 1528, when the mosque was supposedly built by Mughal emperor Babur, and 1857, when, after a clash between Muslims and Hindus, a railing was erected between the inner and outer courtyards at the disputed site. The inner courtyard is where the mosque demolished by Hindutva mobs in 1992 stood. The outer courtyard has se


By Asia News Network
November 12, 2019