See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

China refutes Turkey’s Uighur claims

Turkey called for re-education camps to be closed and accused China of killing a popular musician.


Written by

Updated: February 13, 2019

China on Monday strongly rejected Turkey’s “absurd lie” about the death of a Uygur folk musician, saying the Turkey’s claim extremely wrong and irresponsible.

“China has made solemn representations to Turkey and is firmly opposed to its groundless accusations,” Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a regular news conference in Beijing.

In a statement released on Saturday, the Turkish Foreign Ministry criticized the human rights situation in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region and claimed that Abdurehim Heyit, who was sentenced to eight years in prison, had died.

But Heyit appeared in a video released by China Radio International on Sunday. He said, “I’m in the process of being investigated for allegedly violating national laws” and “I’m now in good health and have never been abused.”

“I saw his video on the internet yesterday, which shows that he is not only alive but also very healthy,” Hua said, asking Turkish officials to distinguish between right and wrong and correct their mistakes.

The Chinese embassy in Turkey also said in a statement on Sunday that the 57-year-old had been arrested on suspicion of violating state security.

According to Hua, the “three evil forces” (terrorism, extremism and separatism) in China and abroad have plotted, organized and conducted thousands of violent terrorist attacks in Xinjiang, causing the deaths of a large number of innocent people since the 1990s.

Based on its own situation and anti-terrorism experience from the international community, Xinjiang has made tremendous efforts to fight terrorism and eradicate extremism and has achieved remarkable results, and people are feeling much more secure now, she said.

Since the end of last year, diplomatic envoys and journalists from a dozen countries including Turkey have observed the social and economic progress during visits to Xinjiang. They also visited the vocational training centers that Turkey described as “internment camps”.

They are actually established to help local people learn the country’s common language and laws and new vocational skills and also to participate in anti-extremism education, the Chinese embassy in Turkey said.

Hua said that some Turkish media workers had said China’s strategy to fight terrorism and resist extremism is clear and wise and Turkey could learn from it.

“Turkey is also a multiethnic country faced with the threat of terrorism. Practicing a double standard on the issue of anti-terrorism will do no good to either country,” Hua said.

Beijing hopes that Ankara will avoid believing one-sided stories and have a correct understanding of China’s policy and efforts, and facilitate mutual trust and cooperation between the two countries with actual deeds, she added.

In another development, China expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition after two United States warships sailed within 12 nautical miles of the Nansha Islands on Monday as part of a “freedom of navigation operation”.

The ships entered China’s territorial seas without permission and China has lodged stern representations with the US, Hua said on Monday.

The situation in the South China Sea is stable and improving, Hua said, and the US, which deliberately stirs up trouble and creates tensions in the South China Sea, is unpopular.

“We urge the US to immediately stop such provocations and honestly respect regional countries’ efforts in safeguarding the peace and stability of the South China Sea,” she added.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


China Daily
About the Author: China Daily covers domestic and world news through nine print editions and digital media worldwide.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

Hundreds of thousands take part in massive Hong Kong march

Police seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. HONG KONG – Hundreds of thousands braved the chilly weather in Hong Kong to join a massive and largely peaceful march on Sunday afternoon (Dec 8) hours after police, in a crackdown on the main island, seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. Sunday’s march to mark Human Rights Day drew a crowd of 800,000, said the Civil Human Rights Front, the organiser behind the biggest protests in the city. The event was a sign of the level of support for the anti-government movement that has stretched for more than six months. The march, which began around 3pm, went on smoothly but tensions notched up at night when hundreds of protesters in face masks and helmets started building barricades in areas such as Central and Causeway Bay to slow down


By The Straits Times
December 9, 2019

Diplomacy

7 of 10 Filipinos worried by presence of Chinese workers

China has increased its presence in the archipelago. The rising presence of Chinese workers in the country worry seven out of 10 adult Filipinos, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey, as the government recently launched a crackdown against Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogos) which mostly employ Chinese nationals. The noncommissioned survey, conducted from Sept. 27 to 30, found that 31 percent “worried a great deal,” while 39 percent are “somewhat worried.” Highest in Metro Manila The proportion of those who were worried about the increasing number of Chinese workers in the country was highest in Metro Manila at 75 percent, followed by the Visayas at 71 percent, Luzon outside Metro Manila (69 percent) and Mindanao (67 percent.) About half of the respondents agree that the rising number of Chinese workers is a threat to national secur


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
December 6, 2019

Diplomacy

Huawei asks US court to overturn ban

The company is suing the FCC, the latest in a series of legal tussles. The legal battle between Huawei Technologies Co and United States government intensified on Thursday. The Chinese tech heavyweight announced a legal challenge to the US Federal Communications Commission, seeking to overturn the latter’s order that bans telecom carriers from buying the company’s equipment via federal subsidies. The move is the latest push by the world’s largest telecom equipment maker to pursue fair competition and treatment amid a slate of restrictions from Washington. Analysts said the FCC ban would have very limited impact on Huawei’s financial performance, but labeling the company as a national security threat would cause far-reaching reputational harm. In a petition filed in the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on Thursday, Huawei asked the court to declare the FCC order un


By China Daily
December 6, 2019

Diplomacy

Rohingya Crisis Fallout

Transparency International Bangladesh has painted a grim outlook for the crisis. Bangladesh faces long-term financial, political and security challenges as Rohingya repatriation may not happen anytime soon, said Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB) Executive Director Dr Iftekharuzzaman. The fund from the international community for nearly one million Rohingyas may not sustain as no strong international initiative has been taken to oblige Myanmar for creating a conducive environment for the refugees to return soon, he said. “As a result, Bangladesh’s socio-economic instability will grow. There are risks of security at local and national levels. The crisis also creates political and diplomatic challenges for the government,” Iftekharuzzaman said. It also involves the risks of growing extremism as the people who face violence are more likely to become violent, he said at a press confere


By Daily Star
December 6, 2019

Diplomacy

North Korea has not given up hope for nuclear talks with US yet

Kim has mentioned a possibility of a ‘Christmas’ gift. Tensions between the US and North Korea have heightened as the two sides exchanged threats and bellicose rhetoric of possible military actions if necessary, amid their stalled nuclear talks. But they appear to have no intention to wind up their diplomacy at least for the next few weeks, experts said. On Wednesday, Heino Klinck, US deputy assistant secretary of defense for East Asia, said the US has been refraining from responding to every single one of North On Wednesday, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for East Asia Heino Klinck said the


By The Korea Herald
December 6, 2019

Diplomacy

Chinese FM to visit India this month for boundary talks

The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is expected to visit India later this month to hold boundary talks with National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, sources said on Wednesday. Wang, who is also a State Councillor, and Doval are the designated Special Representatives (SRs) of the two countries for the boundary talks. The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Besides holding boundary talks with the NSA, Wang, a trusted lieutenant of Chinese President Xi Jinping, will meet External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar. He will also call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.


By The Statesman
December 5, 2019