See More on Facebook

Current affairs

Feature: ‘This is my brother, have you found his body?’

In the chaos of eerie wails and hustling around the Dhaka Medical College Hospital stood a man holding a picture and asking around in despair.


Written by

Updated: February 22, 2019

Around 50 years of age and the folds of the skin just beginning to appear, Abdus Salam Azad was fighting to hold back his tears as he was running up and down the hospital.

He was holding a years-old picture of his younger brother Billal Hossain, 44, who has been missing since last night after the ghastly fire broke out in Chawkbazar.

Coming up from a struggling working-class family, Billal was employed as a tailor man for a decorator agency which had its office just next to where disaster struck.

Azad has heard that the owner of the decorator agency and another employee of the office had died in the fire. But he could get no trace of his younger brother.

Post midday, he was still looking for an answer to convey to the family of his brother – to tell his eight-year-old daughter if her father was alive or dead.

At least 70 people have died in the ghastly fire that broke out in Chawkbazar last night. The bodies, some of them unrecognisable, have been kept at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.

Sohel Mahmud, head of forensics at the medical college, told The Daily Star that many of the bodies have been charred beyond recognition.

Bodies with a claim will be handed over while the others will be subjected to DNA testing.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Daily Star
About the Author: The Daily Star is a leading English-language daily newspaper in Bangladesh.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs

Ayodhya: Coming full circle

Ishan Joshi writes about the recent Ayodhya verdict. Nearly 27 years to the day when as a raw 20-year-old political reporter for The Statesman I reached Ayodhya to cover the run-up to and, as it happened, the aftermath of the demolition of a medieval mosque on 6 December 1992, my primary concern was to find out whether I would get eggs for breakfast. Information I had picked up on the drive down from the state capital Lucknow to Ayodhya was that the temple town, in keeping with its status as a holy city, did no “non-veg.” Such things were important to me, then.  Now, in an effort to prolong my late youth, as it were, oats/idli/low-fat yogurt and the like are my victuals of choice for breakfast. But that’s not all that’s changed. The Supreme Court’s verdict in the Ayodhya Case last week means a Ram Temple will soon be built


By Ishan Joshi
November 18, 2019

Current affairs

MH17 probe releases new phone calls linking suspects to top Russians

With contributions by AFP. A Dutch-led probe into the shooting-down of flight MH17 over Ukraine in 2014 released new intercepted phone calls on Thursday (Nov 14) between high-ranking Russian officials and suspects facing trial over the crash. Investigators said they were making a “new witness appeal” based on “recorded telephone calls between the leaders of the DPR (Donetsk People’s Republic, a separatist group) and high-ranking Russian officials.” “Ties between Russian officials and DPR leaders appear to have been much closer” than originally believed, Mr Andy Kraag, the head of Dutch police’s Criminal Investigations Division, said in a video statement. Investigators said in June that they were going to put three Rus


By Cod Satrusayang
November 15, 2019

Current affairs

Death of militant heads will stunt recruitment but not kill it

ISIS has a foothold in Southeast Asia. The deaths of Malaysian militant leaders Akel Zainal and Mohd Rafi Udin will reduce the intensity of recruitment for the Islamic State (IS) but not completely kill it, says a terrorism expert. Dr Ahmad El-Muhammady, a political science lecturer at the International Islamic University of Malaysia, said the recruitment of Malaysians into the terror group might continue undetected in some cases. “Their deaths will certainly have an impact among Malaysian IS fighters. While their deaths may reduce the intensity of recruitment, it will not completely kill it, ” he said. Commenting on the power vacuum among Malaysian IS fighters in Syria following the deaths of Akel and Mohd Rafi, Dr Ahmad said there was no longer a central Malaysian figure in Syria.


By The Star
November 15, 2019

Current affairs

Terminating GSOMIA may send ‘wrong’ message to adversaries

Wartime OPCON transfer is contingent upon conditions being met, says top US military official stationed in Korea. By terminating its bilateral intelligence-sharing agreement with Japan, South Korea risks sending the wrong message — that the trilateral alliance of South Korea, the US and Japan is weak — Gen. Robert Abrams, commander of the US-ROK Combined Forces Command, said Tuesday. Marking his first year in office, Abrams, who also commands United States Forces Korea and the United Nations Command, spoke on a series of current issues, including the ongoing defense cost-sharing negotiations and the alliance, during a joint press interview.


By The Korea Herald
November 14, 2019

Current affairs

Uncertainty persists on US – China trade deal

This despite Trump’s comments that US and China close to trade deal. US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (Nov 12) that the United States and China are close to a trade deal, but made clear that the prospect of tariffs was still on the table, with a warning that the US would raise tariffs on China if no trade deal was reached. His speech at the Economic Club of New York was closely watched by Wall Street but offered no new details on any signing of a much-touted “Phase One” preliminary trade deal with China. China, said President Trump, was dying to make a deal with their “supply chains cracking very badly” almost two years into the trade war. “We’re the ones deciding whether or not we want t


By The Straits Times
November 13, 2019

Current affairs

Five years later, prosecutorial probe kicks off into Sewol ferry sinking

For some families, it is too little, too late. The Supreme Prosecutors’ Office on Monday launched a special investigation unit to probe allegations surrounding the sinking of the Sewol ferry in 2014. During a press briefing at the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office, the unit said it is “committed to making its probe so thorough that it will be the last one to be conducted into the Sewol sinking.” The unit will take on investigations conducted by a provisional state commission formed in January 2015 with a fact-finding mission on the Sewol case. This is the prosecution’s first organized effort concerning the disaster from over five years ago. On April 16, 2014, the 6,825-ton ferry with a passenger capacity of 921 sank off the coast of South Jeolla Province en route to Jeju Island, killing over 300 people, mostly children. The 18-member prosecution unit is headed by


By The Korea Herald
November 12, 2019