See More on Facebook

Business, Economics

Malaysia state fund Khazanah records pre-tax loss of $2 billion

Khazanah declared RM1.


Written by

Updated: March 6, 2019

5 billion dividends to the government, up from the 2017 dividends of RM1 billion announced before last May’s general election.

Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional announced its first pre-tax loss in a decade amounting to RM6.27 billion (S$2 billion) in its annual review presentation on Tuesday (March 5).

The company pinned last year’s losses on global market challenges, with half of its impairments due to Malaysia Airlines, the national carrier it owns.

Its new managing director Shahril Ridza Ridzuan said the fund had to contend with short-term losses in order to actualise long-term gains it projects to achieve within five years.

“Key thing to focus on is restructuring our portfolio to look at long-term returns … based on a five-year rolling basis. You’ll have fluctuations. You’re going to have years like 2018 where market severely under-performed, there’s a dip and years like 2017 where markets grew really well,” he added.

5 billion dividends to the government, up from the 2017 dividends of RM1 billion announced before last May’s general election.

The fund practises a conservative accounting of its profit and loss statement, which explains its first pre-tax loss in a decade due to market depreciation of some assets.

Mr Shahril said the fund has profitable assets too, but those are not realised “until we dispose of it”.

Mr Shahril was hired to run Khazanah after Pakatan Harapan took power last year, having previously led Malaysia’s pension fund.

Under the new leadership, Khazanah’s refreshed mandate includes a relook at its investments and diversification of portfolio across geographies and sectors globally. Three-quarters of the fund’s investments are with Malaysian companies.

“With portfolio re-balancing (what) we’re doing is to take out the imbalances. For instance we have large concentration risks, driven by the fact that in Malaysia at least, a big chunk of our assets is tied up in just a few companies,” Mr Shahril said.

Khazanah’s  underperforming companies last year were Malaysia Airlines and telecommunications network Telekom Malaysia (TM). The high impairment stemming from the airline was due to the carrier’s inability to meet its objectives, with Khazanah adjusting the carrier’s book value. The airline is conducting a review of its current strategy.

Khazanah recorded an impairment of RM7.3 billion for 2018, RM5 billion more than 2017’s figure.

TM meanwhile suffered losses from the government announcement last year to reduce internet costs for consumers. Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo had instructed telcos to lower broadband prices, as part of the ruling pact’s promise to slash prices and increase broadband speed.

“You’ll see fluctuations due to regulatory changes… Most important for regulators is to make sure you have a regime where while safeguarding consumer public interests, you have to also make sure there’s enough incentive (for investors) to invest in the industry and get a profitable return,” said Mr Shahril.

Khazanah is placed 25th worldwide in terms of asset size on the sovereign wealth fund rankings published by the Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business, Economics

China, US in constant touch to resolve trade issues

China and the United States are in constant touch to resolve pending trade and economic issues, the Ministry of Commerce said on Thursday. The comment came ahead of Sunday’s US deadline for another scheduled round of tariff increases on Chinese imports worth almost $160 billion. If a trade deal is not struck by Sunday, computer monitors and toys will be among the Chinese export items likely to be affected. Gao Feng, a ministry spokesman, said the Customs Tariff Commission of the State Council has already worked out tariff exemptions on some soybean, pork and other products shipped from the US — the latest sign of tensions easing in the protracted trade conflict. The US seems to resort to brinkmanship by using a tariff deadline to pressure China in the ongoing trade talks for a phase one, preliminary deal, said Chen Wenling, chief economist at the China Center for International Economic Exchanges


By China Daily
December 13, 2019

Business, Economics

US warns N. Korea against ‘ill-advised’ action

North Korean threats unlikely to succeed in bringing the US to the table. A top US diplomat warned North Korea on Thursday against taking any “ill-advised” action in light of its veiled threats to resume nuclear and long-range missile tests. David Stilwell, US assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs, made the remark as North Korea has threatened to take a “new way” unless the US offers concessions in their stalled denuclearization negotiations before the end of the year. Washington has urged Pyongyang to stick to its commitment to cease nuclear and long-range missile tests, saying they would be count


By The Korea Herald
December 13, 2019

Business, Economics

Trump urges passage of defense bill with provision against troop drawdown in S. Korea

Trump has previously asked Korea to pay its fair share to keep US troops on the peninsula. US President Donald Trump on Wednesday urged Congress to pass a defense bill containing a provision restricting the drawdown of American troops in South Korea. On Monday, the House and Senate Armed Services Committees agreed on the final version of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020, which authorizes funding for the Department of Defense. According to the accompanying conference report, the new bill restricts the use of funds for removing troops from South Korea, an issue that has drawn intense scrutiny amid contentious cost-sharing negotiations between Seoul and Washington.


By The Korea Herald
December 12, 2019

Business, Economics

Report: US officials lied about Afghanistan

Civilian, military officials misled public for nearly two decades about status of war, Washington Post review of documents finds. For nearly two decades, senior US civilian and military officials didn’t tell the truth about the war in Afghanistan, The Washington Post reported on Monday after reviewing more than 2,000 pages of government documents. The officials made pronouncements they knew to be false and hid evidence that the war had become unwinnable, the newspaper said interviews with those officials show. John Sopko, the head of the federal agency that conducted the interviews, acknowledged to the Post that the documents show “the American people have constantly been lied to”. The newspaper said that two major claims in the documents are that US officials manipulated statistics to suggest to the American public that the war was being won and that successive


By China Daily
December 11, 2019

Business, Economics

Pompeo says US is hopeful N. Korea will refrain from nuclear, long-range missile tests

Both sides are hopeful of continued talks. The United States is hopeful North Korea will continue to refrain from nuclear tests and long-range missile tests, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday, after Pyongyang said it had conducted a “very important” test over the weekend. North Korea said the test occurred at its Dongchang-ri satellite launch site on Saturday, raising tensions ahead of a year-end deadline North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has imposed for the US to show flexibility in their negotiations on dismantling Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program. “Chairman Kim personally made the commitment to denuclearize, said there wouldn’t be long-range missile tests, nuclear tests,” Pompeo said at a joint press conference with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov at the State Department.


By The Korea Herald
December 11, 2019

Business, Economics

Hundreds of thousands take part in massive Hong Kong march

Police seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. HONG KONG – Hundreds of thousands braved the chilly weather in Hong Kong to join a massive and largely peaceful march on Sunday afternoon (Dec 8) hours after police, in a crackdown on the main island, seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. Sunday’s march to mark Human Rights Day drew a crowd of 800,000, said the Civil Human Rights Front, the organiser behind the biggest protests in the city. The event was a sign of the level of support for the anti-government movement that has stretched for more than six months. The march, which began around 3pm, went on smoothly but tensions notched up at night when hundreds of protesters in face masks and helmets started building barricades in areas such as Central and Causeway Bay to slow down


By The Straits Times
December 9, 2019