See More on Facebook

Analysis, Diplomacy

Where is North Korea’s covert uranium enrichment site?

The hidden sites are part of the reason the latest Trump – Kim summit failed.


Written by

Updated: March 6, 2019

Speculation is running rampant as to the locations of the additional weapons-grade uranium-producing sites in North Korea that US President Donald Trump demanded be dismantled, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s refusal, during their second summit in Vietnam last week.

In Hanoi, Pyongyang offered to destroy its Yongbyon facilities that produce the two key materials used in making nuclear weapons — plutonium and highly enriched uranium — but Washington demanded an additional step beyond the dismantlement of the important nuclear site.

After cutting short the meeting in Hanoi without striking an agreement, Trump said that when he raised the issue of a second enrichment facility, apart from the one in Yongbyon, the North Korean delegation was “surprised” by what the US knew.

Yongbyon is North Korea’s only known source of plutonium, but the country is believed to have other facilities where uranium is enriched, experts said.

One of the potential undeclared enrichment sites is Boonkang, northeast of Yongbyon, according to a Joongang Ilbo report Tuesday.

The North Korean regime built an underground facility to produce components for highly enriched uranium cores for nuclear warheads at the Boonkang site, the newspaper said, citing multiple anonymous sources.

Defense Ministry vice spokesman Roh Jae-cheon said Boonkang is an area that has been placed under surveillance, but declined to confirm further details.

Boonkang, which has been far from the limelight, fits Trump’s description for a covert uranium enrichment program. He said “people didn’t know before” about the site.

According to Seoul‘s National Intelligence Service, Boonkang is an administrative district where the Yongbyon nuclear complex is located. It is unknown whether Kim Jong-un included the Boonkang site for his deal with Trump.

“We have a detailed understanding of North Korea’s nuclear missile facilities, including additional uranium enrichment facilities that were addressed in the negotiations between the US and North Korea,” NIS director Suh Hoon said in a briefing to lawmakers Tuesday.

He added that a nuclear reactor in Yongbyon had stopped operating since the end of last year, and there have not been any signs of plutonium reprocessing.

Another site the US may have uncovered may be a facility near Kangson, just a few kilometers from Pyongyang. The existence of the Kangson site was revealed to the public in July 2018, when the Diplomat, an online news magazine, located it in collaboration with a team of open source researchers using commercial satellite imagery. US intelligence is believed to have monitored the site for more than a decade.

The Kangson site is built around a single large building that is assumed to contain main gas centrifuge cascades, which produce uranium suitable for use in nuclear weapons.

On Monday, Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said that further steps Pyongyang would take toward denuclearization beyond Yongbyon and the level of sanctions removal that Washington would agree to were at the heart of the talks between the US and North Korea in Hanoi.

While details of the proposal that Trump had made to Kim in Hanoi have yet to be verifiably disclosed, Cheong Wa Dae spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom said Monday that it is not clear whether Trump wanted the elimination of additional facilities or weapons.

Lee Do-hoon, special representative for Korean Peninsula peace and security affairs, will meet with his counterpart Stephen Biegun and other officials in Washington from Wednesday to analyze the outcome of the Trump-Kim summit and exchange related information.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Analysis, Diplomacy

Trump again cites questionable numbers related to Korea trade deal

Trump has used the trade deal to bolster his credentials back home. US President Donald Trump again cited questionable numbers on Tuesday as he touted his administration’s renegotiated free trade agreement with South Korea. Trump told the Economic Club of New York that the revised FTA, which took effect early this year, doubled the number of American cars that can be sold in South Korea under US standards and extended American tariffs on Korean pickup trucks by another 20 years to 2041. He then took a swipe at the previous administration of Barack Obama, which negotiated the original agreement. “The deal from the previous admini


By The Korea Herald
November 13, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

Uncertainty persists on US – China trade deal

This despite Trump’s comments that US and China close to trade deal. US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (Nov 12) that the United States and China are close to a trade deal, but made clear that the prospect of tariffs was still on the table, with a warning that the US would raise tariffs on China if no trade deal was reached. His speech at the Economic Club of New York was closely watched by Wall Street but offered no new details on any signing of a much-touted “Phase One” preliminary trade deal with China. China, said President Trump, was dying to make a deal with their “supply chains cracking very badly” almost two years into the trade war. “We’re the ones deciding whether or not we want t


By The Straits Times
November 13, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

India should have signed up for RCEP

India has decided to put a halt on its joining the largest planned free trade area. Had India not pulled out at the last minute from signing the deal during the 3rd summit of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) in Bangkok on November 4, the RCEP would have been the largest free trade area in the world so far—comprising of 16 Asia Pacific countries that house 3.4 billion people, and constituting one-third of the global gross domestic product (GDP) and 40 percent of global trade. Ten member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) along with Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea fo


By The Kathmandu Post
November 13, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

Myanmar sued for genocide

On behalf of OIC, Gambia files the case at Int’l Court of Justice seeking orders to stop atrocities on Rohingyas immediately.  The Gambia has filed a case at the United Nations’ top court, accusing Myanmar of committing genocide against its Rohingya Muslim minority, more than two years after some 750,000 Rohingyas fled a military crackdown in the Rakhine State. “We have just submitted our application to the ICJ under the Genocide Convention,” Gambian Justice Minister Abubacarr Tambadou said at a news conference yesterday in The Hague, where the court is based. “The aim is to get Myanmar to account for its action against its own people: the Rohingya. It is a shame for our generation that we do nothing while genocide is unfolding right under our own eyes,” he said. The International Court of Justice (ICJ), also known as the World Court, is the U


By Daily Star
November 12, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

The government has undermined education

A core value for a country to develop, the federal govenrment must make amends. The High-Level National Education Commission was formed in 2018 to recommend steps to better the country’s education system. After much criticism regarding the secrecy surrounding the findings of the commission, the Education Ministry finally, made public portions of the new education policy. But it seems all is still not well. Analysts and commission members were quick to point out that the new policy has disregarded almost all of the commission’s recommendations, mainly the part where private schools were required to be transformed from ‘for-profit’ to ‘not-for-profit’. Findings of the commission are important documents that ne


By The Kathmandu Post
November 11, 2019

Analysis, Diplomacy

S. Korea open to settling spat with Japan over intel-sharing pact if relations improve

Intelligence sharing has been suspended since an economic spat between the two countries erupted several months ago. President Moon Jae-in’s top security adviser reaffirmed Sunday that South Korea’s bilateral military intelligence-sharing pact with Japan could be renewed, as the expiration date draws near. Chung Eui-yong, chief of Cheong Wa Dae’s National Security Office, laid the blame on Japan for the strained relations, which have sunk to their lowest point in decades. “The government is willing to rethink an extension of the GSOMIA if South Korea-Japan relations normalize,” he said during a press briefing on Sunday, referring to the


By The Korea Herald
November 11, 2019