See More on Facebook

Curiosity, Current affairs

Muscular solid-fuel rocket to fly soon

The rocket will be used for space exploration.


Written by

Updated: March 14, 2019

China Aerospace Science and Industry Corp will soon launch the nation’s biggest solid-propellant carrier rocket and is working on new models that will be even larger and stronger, a project insider said.

Hu Shengyun, a senior rocket designer at the CASIC Fourth Academy in Wuhan, Hubei province, which develops and builds the Kuaizhou series, said the maiden mission of the Kuaizhou 11 will take place soon at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwestern China.

He spoke to China Daily on the sidelines of the ongoing second session of the 13th National People’s Congress in Beijing as he attends the national legislature’s annual meeting.

The researcher said the Kuaizhou 11 is China’s largest and most powerful solid-propellant carrier rocket, with a length of 25 meters, a diameter of 2.2 meters, and a liftoff weight of 78 metric tons. It is able to place a 1-metric-ton payload into a sun-synchronous orbit at an altitude of 700 kilometers, or a 1.5-ton payload into a low-Earth orbit.

Before it, the biggest solid-fuel civilian rocket in China was the Long March 11, with a length of 20.8 m, a diameter of 2 m and a liftoff weight of 58 tons.

Information previously published by CASIC said the rocket that will fly first is to carry six satellites.

While preparation for the Kuaizhou 11 mission is underway, designers at the Wuhan academy have begun to develop two new solid-propellant rockets of bigger size and carrying capacity-Kuaizhou 16 and 21-said Hu, the rocket designer.

The Kuaizhou 16 will have a diameter of 3.5 meters and be able to place a 4-ton payload in low-Earth orbit. The Kuaizhou 21 will be bigger-with a diameter of 4.5 meters-and will also be mightier, able to send a 20-ton spacecraft to low-Earth orbit, power similar to the United States’ Falcon 9 Full Thrust, Hu said.

Hu said the two new models are likely to conduct their first mission in about five years if all goes well. Like other Kuaizhou types, they will be mainly tasked with meeting demands in commercial launch service from the burgeoning satellite industry in China.

Meanwhile, designers also hope the Kuaizhou 21 will have the opportunity to serve government space programs such as the space station program, he added.

Zhang Di, a vice-president at the academy, previously told China Daily that the Kuaizhou 21 will be powerful enough to transport supplies to the country’s future space station or to ferry robotic probes to planets far from Earth.

CASIC began to develop the Kuaizhou series in 2009 as a low-cost, quick-response product for the commercial space market. The company has launched four: two Kuaizhou 1s and two Kuaizhou 1As.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


China Daily
About the Author: China Daily covers domestic and world news through nine print editions and digital media worldwide.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Curiosity, Current affairs

Haze: Ministry urges bosses to allow workers to work from home

The haze has affected Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. The Human Resources Ministry has recommended employers to implement flexible work policies during the ongoing haze period and allow workers to work from home. The ministry said the matter was raised at a Cabinet meeting Wednesday (Sept 18), where it is the responsibility of employers to ensure the safety and health of workers. “It is important for employers to carry out risk assessments, take appropriate measures and to determine the need to come to work to ensure risks can be minimised,” the ministry said in a statement Thursday (Sept 19). “Labour laws in Malaysia do not prohibit employers from specifying a place of em


By The Star
September 20, 2019

Curiosity, Current affairs

After 19 yrs, polio back in PH

The anti-vaxxer movement has done it again. The Philippines is in the midst of a polio epidemic 19 years after it was declared polio-free, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III announced on Thursday. Polio is a crippling and at times fatal infectious disease. (See In the Know.) Duque said a single confirmed case signaled an epidemic in a once polio-free country. He said a 3-year-old girl from Lanao del Sur was diagnosed with a vaccine-derived polio virus type 2. The Department of Health (DOH) is awaiting confirmation of a suspected case of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP). Rabindra Abeyasinghe, country representative of the World Health Organization (WHO), noted that the type 2 polio virus had not been in circulation for many years and was certified eliminated in the Philippines. Metro Manila, Davao “[S]o the vaccination program that the DOH and other co


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
September 20, 2019

Curiosity, Current affairs

Over 2 million students affected as haze reaches critical levels in Malaysia

Over 2,000 schools have been closed as a result. Close to two million students in over 2,000 schools will be affected by school closures in several states this week, following the worsening haze condition. A total of 2,459 schools in Selangor, Putrajaya, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Kedah, Perak, Negri Sembilan and Sarawak are scheduled to be closed, following the Air Pollutant Index (API) exceeding 200 in these areas on Wednesday (Sept 18). The school closure affects a total of 1,732,842 students, said the Education Ministry in its latest statement on Wednesday night (Sept 18). The schools in Kedah, Perak, Negri Sembilan and Sarawak will only be closed on Thursday (Sept 19), whereas those in Selangor, Putrajaya, Kuala Lumpur and Penang will be closed on Thursday (Sept 19) and Friday (Sept 20). Selangor has the most number of schools closed at 939, and also the largest number of students involv


By The Star
September 19, 2019

Curiosity, Current affairs

8 Coast Guard personnel found guilty in death of Taiwanese fisherman

The case stems from an incident in 2013. The Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 15 has found eight members of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) guilty in the death of Taiwanese fisherman Hong Shi Cheng off  Batanes in 2013. Found guilty were Commanding Officer Arnold Dela Cruz, Seaman 1st Class (SN1) Edrando Aguila, SN1 Mhelvin Bendo II, SN1 Andy Gibb Golfo, SN1 Sonny Masangcay, SN1 Henry Solomon, SN1 Richard Corpuz and Seaman 2nd Class Nicky Renold Aurelio. The incident strained the relationship between Taiwan and the Philippines.As a result of the incident, the Taiwanese government has stopped the issuance of visas to Filipinos workers seeking jobs in Taiwan. The Philippines sent a representative and delivered the government’s official letter of apology to soothe the strained relations. The PCG in 2013 said its personnel acted in self defense when it opened fire at Taiwanese fishing ve


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
September 18, 2019

Curiosity, Current affairs

Hong Kong police deploy water cannon, tear gas to disperse radical protesters

More protests erupted this week, the third month of continuous weekend protest. Hong Kong police fired water cannons and volleys of tear gas to break up protesters throwing petrol bombs and bricks near the Legislative Council (LegCo) building and central government offices on Sunday (Sept 15), the latest in weeks of sometimes-violent unrest. One water-cannon truck parked behind water-filled barriers surrounding the government headquarters complex caught fire after being hit by a petrol bomb, but the flames were quickly put out by police. After repeated warnings failed to disperse the protesters, police fired water cannons laced with blue dye as well as volleys of tear gas to break up the demonstrators. In other countries, dye is added to the water to help identify protesters later. Meanwhile, the LegCo Secretariat issued a red alert informing all persons to evacuate the LegCo Complex immediately.


By The Straits Times
September 16, 2019

Curiosity, Current affairs

1 killed, at least 30 injured in Yokohama derailment

The train crashed into a truck at a road crossing. One person was killed and at least 30 injured when the first three cars of an express train on the Keikyu Line derailed after the train collided with a truck at a crossing in Kanagawa Ward, Yokohama, at around 11:40 a.m. Thursday. The person killed was believed to be the 67-year-old male driver of the truck. Black smoke and flames were seen at the crossing, which is located between Kanagawa-Shinmachi Station and Nakakido Station on the Keikyu Line. According to the Kanagawa prefectural police and Keikyu Corp., the train departed from Aoto Station bound for Misakiguchi Station. It collided with the truck, which entered the crossing from the train’s right side just after the train passed Kanagawa-Shinmachi Station. The train’s next scheduled stop was Yokohama Station.


By The Japan News
September 6, 2019