See More on Facebook

Current affairs, Politics

Duterte to deport any ICC official investigating his rights record

Many have called on the International Criminal Court to investigate Duterte’s deadly drug war.


Written by

Updated: March 19, 2019

International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutors will be denied entry and deported if they try to enter the Philippines to investigate President Rodrigo Duterte for crimes against humanity, Malacañang said on Monday.

“Certainly we will not allow any attempt at interfering with the sovereignty of this country,” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo told reporters a day after the Philippines’ withdrawal from the ICC became official.

The President withdrew the Philippines from the world’s only permanent war crimes tribunal last year after ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda announced that she had opened a preliminary examination of information brought against the Philippine leader about thousands of extrajudicial killings in his brutal war on drugs.

Investigation can go on

Under ICC rules, the Philippines’ withdrawal took force one year after it told the United Nations that it was quitting the tribunal.

Legal experts, however, have said the Philippines’ withdrawal will not stop the ICC from investigating the President for possible crimes against humanity because the alleged killings took place during the country’s membership in the court.

The President has made it clear his administration will not cooperate with ICC prosecutors.

Panelo said on Monday that ICC prosecutors could come into the country as visitors but not as investigators.

“I will smile at them and tell them nicely, ‘You cannot do it here. If you persist, you will be deported,’” Panelo said

He said immigration officials had the discretion to deny entry to foreigners found to be attempting to violate the country’s laws.

Panelo noted that US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had said the United States would withdraw or deny visas to ICC prosecutors investigating possible war crimes by US soldiers or US allies in Afghanistan.

Panelo also dismissed the claim of lawyer Jude Josue Sabio, who brought the information against the President in the ICC, that the tribunal could investigate the President even after the Philippines’ withdrawal.

He said the President’s position was “unequivocal and inflexible”—the ICC had never acquired jurisdiction over the Philippines.

The reason: the Rome Statute that underpins the ICC, although ratified by the Senate, was never published in the Official Gazette.

‘Warped reasoning’

Detained Sen. Leila de Lima scoffed at Panelo’s position, calling it “wishful thinking and warped reasoning.”

In a statement, De Lima said only a country that admitted being a member of the ICC could withdraw from the Rome Statute.

“If true to its conviction that the Philippines never became a state party to the Rome Statute, the Duterte administration should not have withdrawn, since there was nothing to withdraw. Yet it did, thus recognizing the status of the Philippines as a state party to the Rome Statute since 2011,” De Lima said.

International justice

University of the Philippines (UP) professor Elizabeth Aguiling-Pangalangan, president of the Philippine Society of International Law, said the ICC could investigate the Duterte administration for atrocities committed while the Philippines was member of the tribunal.

“For acts committed during the time we are a member, the ICC continues to acquire jurisdiction. On matters that are already under examination while we are a member, it continues,” said Pangalangan, whose husband, former UP law dean Raul Pangalangan, serves on the ICC. 

Human Rights group Amnesty International also said the Philippines’ withdrawal from the ICC would not hamper international investigations into Mr. Duterte’s war on drugs.

In a statement, Nicholas Bequelin, Amnesty International regional director for Southeast Asia and the Pacific, said the Duterte administration’s withdrawal from the ICC was “a futile attempt to evade international justice.”

“The court will continue to investigate those responsible for crimes committed during the so-called war on drugs and has ways and means to investigate, even if the Philippines will not cooperate with it,” Bequelin said.

He said the Philippines’ withdrawal would not change the fact that those responsible for crimes under international law committed during the war on drugs would be “held to account in the ICC or through other international justice initiatives.”

Read more: https://globalnation.inquirer.net/173704/palace-icc-prosecutors-who-come-to-probe-duterte-to-be-deported#ixzz5ia3HKhAP



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Philippine Daily Inquirer
About the Author: The Philippine Daily Inquirer is one the country’s most credible and influential newspapers with over 500 awards and citations.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs, Politics

Modi defends citizenship decision

PM Modi says it has nothing to do with Indian Muslims. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, that unity in diversity is integral to India while addressing ‘Aabhar Rally’ at Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan today to kick start Bharatiya Janata Party’s Delhi Assembly Elections campaign slated for early next year, amid protests in Delhi and all over the country against the contentious Citizenship Act and the National Register of Citizenship(NRC). Modi raised slogan of ‘vividhta me ekta, Bharat ki visheshta’ (Unity in diversity is India’s speciality). PM Modi while giving his party and government’s view on CAA and NRC said, “Muslims being misled, I have always ensured that documents will never come in way of development schemes and their beneficiaries.” Citizenship law and NRC have nothing to do with Indian Muslims or with Indian citizens, he clarified. “We have never asked


By The Statesman
December 23, 2019

Current affairs, Politics

Rallies rage on in India over citizenship law

Thousands of students flood streets of Delhi; Assam state sees five protesters shot dead. Thousands of university students flooded the streets of India’s capital yesterday, while a southern state government led a march and demonstrators held a silent protest in the north-east, to protest against a new law giving citizenship to non-Muslims who entered India illegally to flee religious persecution in several neighbouring countries. The protests in New Delhi followed a night of violent clashes between the police and demonstrators at Jamia Millia Islamia University. People who student organisers said were not students set three buses on fire and the police stormed the university library, firing tear gas at students crouched under desks. Members of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party said opposition parties were using th


By The Straits Times
December 17, 2019

Current affairs, Politics

Japan: Koizumi offers no concrete plan on coal

The new environment minister needs to offer better ways to tackle climate change.  During a ministerial meeting of the U.N. climate summit in Madrid on Wednesday, Shinjiro Koizumi, the Environment Minister did not express concrete steps for reducing coal-fired thermal power generation. Environment Minister Shinjiro Koizumi did not express concrete steps for reducing coal-fired thermal power generation, for which construction of new plants is currently underway in Japan, during a ministerial meeting of the U.N. climate summit in Madrid on Wednesday. “I am afraid I cannot share new development on our coal policy today,” Koizumi said at the ongoing 25th Conference of the Parties to the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate


By The Japan News
December 13, 2019

Current affairs, Politics

Power transition after Apec summit

Mahathir open to stepping down after APEC summit. Dr Mahathir Mohamad, the world’s oldest prime minister, has promised to hand over power to anointed successor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim in spite of new sexual assault allegations against him. Dr Mahathir, 94, said he would not hand over before a summit of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) countries that Malaysia is to host in November 2020, but could be ready after that. “I made a promise to hand over and I will, accepting that I thought that a change immediately before the Apec summit would be disruptive. “As far as I’m concerned, I’m stepping down and I’m handing the baton to him (Anwar). If people don’t want him, that is their business, but I will do my part of the promise… irrespective of whatever allegation. I made my promise, I keep my promise, ” he said in an interview w


By The Star
December 11, 2019

Current affairs, Politics

Communist Party of China calls for efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up

Political Bureau stresses importance of winning three critical battles in 2020. The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee called on Friday for solid efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up, amid tensions in the external environment, to ensure that the goal of building a moderately prosperous society in all respects will be attained next year. The general trend of China’s economy in maintaining stable and long-term positive operation remains unchanged, according to a statement released after the bureau’s meeting, presided over by Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee. China will keep its economic growth within a reasonable range in 2020, with more “forwarding-looking, targeted and effective” policies, the statement said. The nation will pursue a policy framework that allows macro policies to be stable, micro policies


By Esther Ng
December 9, 2019

Current affairs, Politics

SAARC turns 35 but has very little to show for its age

The regional bloc of seven South Asian countries and Afghanistan has largely been held hostage to the rivalry between India and Pakistan, say analysts. The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation might have turned 35 but its three-and-a-half decades of existence has largely failed to advance its own central tenet—regional cooperation. As SAARC marked its 35th anniversary with a flurry of congratulatory messages from heads of government, expressing their commitment to regional cooperation, many analysts and diplomats wonder if these promises will ever translate into action. The regional association has failed to hold its 19th summit, ever since 2016 when India sud


By The Kathmandu Post
December 9, 2019