See More on Facebook

Culture and society, Current affairs

Japanese Olympic Committee was step behind when dealing with Takeda charges

The head of Japan’s Olympic Committee said he would step down, as French authorities probe his involvement in payments made before Tokyo was awarded the 2020 Summer Games.


Written by

Updated: March 21, 2019

Japanese Olympic Committee chief Tsunekazu Takeda’s decision to step down at the end of his current term comes after the JOC was sluggish in its attempts to deal with his alleged misconduct, according to observers.

The driving force behind Takeda’s move was a gradual change in the International Olympic Committee’s stance toward his case, due to concerns that the issue could tarnish the image of the Olympic Games.

On Tuesday, Takeda, 71, said he plans to resign when his term as JOC president ends in June. The JOC will now have to reorganize itself in preparation for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, an unusual move one year prior to an Olympic Games.

Takeda also said he intends to resign as an IOC member.

Takeda is under investigation by French law enforcement authorities in connection with alleged corruption tied to Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Games. He is likely to continue to maintain his innocence in connection with the case.

“If [JOC] President Takeda was indicted by the French authorities and found guilty in a trial, it would be one thing … but I never expected he would have to resign while still presumed to be innocent,” a senior JOC official said. Within the JOC, it had been a matter of faith that Takeda would stay on after his current term expires.

Takeda was named an IOC member in 2012. In principle, the retirement age of IOC members is set at 70. However, the IOC decided at a general meeting in 2017 to postpone Takeda’s retirement, in the hopes of supporting the Tokyo Games under its current structure.

However, when reports surfaced in January that French authorities had questioned Takeda in December last year, the IOC began to shift its stance on the issue, according to a source associated with the Tokyo Games.

“The IOC goes cold on anyone it thinks may adversely affect the Olympics,” the source said.

Officially, the IOC said it would watch to see how the affair developed while standing by the principle of the presumption of innocence. However, the IOC conveyed a message to Takeda through a related organization to sound him out on whether he would step down, the source said.

Meanwhile, the JOC showed little urgency over the matter as the course of events moved toward Takeda’s eventual departure from the committee.

He came under fire both at home and abroad for failing to offer appropriate explanations regarding the misconduct allegations. He also skipped various IOC and other international conferences. All of this was seen as problematic, according to observers.

The JOC was a step behind in its attempts to deal with the affair. For example, it was considering whether to revise its regulations on the retirement age of JOC officials to make them compatible with pertinent rules in the Olympic Charter. The current JOC regulations require committee officials to be under 70 at the time of their election to the position. Meanwhile, the charter states IOC members must belong to the executive organ of the national Olympic committee from which they come.

At a meeting of the JOC Executive Board on Tuesday, board member Kaori Yamaguchi said, “Why wasn’t the retirement age issue discussed at an earlier board meeting?”

Takeda’s departure leaves Morinari Watanabe, 60, president the International Gymnastics Federation, as the only Japanese member of the IOC. However, the IOC has maintained good relations with the Tokyo Games organizing committee, and few think Takeda’s resignation will adversely affect the management of the 2020 Olympics.

However, some are concerned the image of the Olympics could be further undermined, and that there could be delays in training athletes due to the reorganization of the JOC, according to observers.Speech



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Japan News
About the Author: The Japan News is published by The Yomiuri Shimbun, which boasts the largest circulation in the world.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Culture and society, Current affairs

Schools in Kashmir to reopen on Wednesday

The Modi administration has decided to re-open all the middle schools across Kashmir on Wednesday. The J&K Government on Monday said that after the re-opening of primary schools, it has decided to re-open all middle-level schools across the Kashmir valley from Wednesday. This was stated during a joint evening presser here, addressed by Director Information and Public Relations, Dr Syed Sehrish Asgar, Deputy Inspector General of Police (CKR), VK Birdi and Director School Education Kashmir, Muhammad Younis Malik. The officials said the presence of staff at all the primary level schools on Monday was an encouraging sign and the administration has decided to re-open all the middle schools across Kashmir on Wednesday. Regarding the availability of supply stock in the Valley, it was informed that the essential services like PHE, PDD, Food & Civil Services, etc are working continuously. I


By The Statesman
August 20, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Japan marks 74th anniversary of war’s end

The new emperor made an address on his first war anniversary on the throne. The Emperor used the words “deep remorse” during his address at a national memorial service held Thursday in Tokyo to mark the 74th anniversary of the end of World War II. The Emperor, who ascended to the throne on May 1, and the Empress attended the ceremony held by the government at the Nippon Budokan hall in Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo, the first of its kind in the Reiwa era. About 6,500 people, including bereaved relatives, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and representatives of various fields, were present to honor the about 3.1 million Japanese people who died in the war. Among those registered to attend, 53 representatives of families of the war victims from Miyazaki Prefecture were unable to attend the ceremony because their flight was canceled due to Typhoon No. 10. Participants obser


By The Japan News
August 16, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Family confirms body found is Nora Anne’s

The child was feared to be kidnapped from her resort hotel. The family of Nora Anne Quoirin has confirmed that the body found is that of the missing Irish teenager, according to the Negri Sembilan police chief. Mohamad Mat Yusop, who was at the Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital, said the family was brought in to identify the body and had confirmed that it was Nora Anne, who went missing from a resort on Aug 4. A post-mortem will be done on Wednesday morning (Aug 14). A senior pathologist from Kuala Lumpur will be performing the post-mortem. Earlier, a group of trekkers found Nora Anne’s naked body in a stream some 2.5km from the resort she was staying with her family at 1.57pm Tuesday (Aug 13). The remains were found near Gunung Berembun in Pantai Hills. Nora Anne, 15, had checked into the property with her parents, Sebastian Marie Philipe and Meabh Jaseprine Quoirin, and siblings


By The Star
August 14, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Hong Kong protests shut down airport in biggest disruption yet

Flights could resume on Tuesday. Hong Kong was forced to shut down its airport on Monday (Aug 12), grounding around 200 flights and affecting many others worldwide, after thousands of protesters swarmed the main terminal building in the biggest disruption yet to the city’s economy since demonstrations escalated in June. The airport authorities said flights could resume early Tuesday (Aug 13) depending on recovery operations after protester numbers dwindled in the evening. They also urged passengers to check that their flights were confirmed before heading to the airport. But protest organisers have vowed to hold a large-scale “eye for an eye” sit-in at the airport this afternoon to protest against the escalation of force by police following another weekend of violent demonstrations across Hong Kong. This would be the fifth continuous day that protesters have occupied


By The Straits Times
August 13, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Pakistan dedicates Eid to occupied Kashmir

The move of solidarity came after India strips region of special status. People gathered in mosques across Pakistan on Monday to offer special prayers for Eidul Azha. The government has called for the festival to be observed in a “simple manner” this year, to express solidarity with Kashmiris living in Indian-occupied Kashmir. On Aug 5, India dropped a constitutional provision that had allowed Muslim-majority Jammu and Kashmir to make its own laws, and also broke up the state into two federally administered territories. Before moving a rushed presidential order in its Senate, New Delhi placed Kashmiri leaders under house arrest and imposed a strict curfew. Read: India has done away with t


By Dawn
August 13, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Eid celebrated peacefully in Kashmir amid heavy security, India says

Over 10,000 people offered prayers says India’s central government. Over, 10,000 people peacefully offered prayers in mosques across Jammu and Kashmir on the occasion of Eid al-Adha on Monday. Amid massive security arrangements and restrictions, prayers concluded peacefully in all parts of Jammu and Kashmir, as it marked its first Eid after the revocation of its special status amid massive security arrangements. The prayers began at 7 a.m. and continued till noon in some places. The movement of people was facilitated by the police. People offered namaz and were also seen greeting police personnel on duty. Prohibitory orders are still in force in Srinagar with large groups of people not being allowed to assemble and traffic restrictions put in place. Eid prayers were held in smaller mosques in neighbourhoods after large congregations were restricted in sensitive areas in Srinagar.


By The Statesman
August 13, 2019