See More on Facebook

Business

Malaysia’s Proton revs up revival with hot-selling SUV

The X70, a fully imported version of Geely’s Boyue, makes up over half of national carmaker’s sales.


Written by

Updated: March 27, 2019

Once-ailing Malaysian carmaker Proton is seeing a turn in its fortunes since its Chinese partner Geely brought the X70 sport utility vehicle to the Malaysian market last December.

The X70 – a rebadged version of Geely’s Boyue – now makes up over half of Proton’s sales, with more than 20,000 cars booked as at end-February and waiting times extending up to three months.

“Our next target will be to set new six-month and full-year registration numbers, and we are confident of achieving them,” Proton chief executive Li Chunrong said in a statement last Wednesday. The national carmaker did not give details of these targets.

Automotive analysts say the positive response to the X70 indicates a probable turnaround of fortunes for Proton, but they caution that it is the automaker’s ability to deliver top-notch locally assembled cars that will determine its future.

“The true test will be to build a local version of the car and compete with Perodua on fairer ground,” said one analyst, referring to Malaysia’s other national carmaker which leads the local market in total vehicle sales.

Proton is already expanding its plant in Perak to cope with producing new car models and upgrading its service centres nationwide.

Buyers of the X70 say it is priced considerably lower than similar SUVs in the compact segment.

“It’s a Proton car but it’s also not really a Proton car at the same time. There’s a different expectation for the X70,” said Mr Alexander Teoh, 40, a human resources manager.

The X70’s starting price is RM99,800 (S$33,200), with its highest-range model costing RM123,800. Similar cars from other brands retail at over RM10,000 more than the X70’s premium range.

In June 2017, when Geely acquired a 49.9 per cent stake in Proton – the balance is held by local conglomerate DRB-Hicom – the move was severely criticised by Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

Proton was Dr Mahathir’s brainchild during his first stint as prime minister from 1981 to 2003, and he described the 2017 deal brokered by the Najib Razak administration as bad for the country.

“I am sure Proton will do well… but I cannot be proud of the success of something that does not belong to me or my country,” he said then.

At the launch of the X70 last December, however, the 93-year-old statesman who is now serving his second stint as Prime Minister praised the collaboration with Geely.

“Maybe after this, the cars will be conceptualised, designed, tested and built as a truly, 100 per cent Malaysian car in the future… this can be achieved with Proton’s cooperation with Geely,” he was quoted as saying in the New Straits Times.

Proton ranked fourth in total vehicle sales last year, behind Perodua, Honda and Toyota. Its 2018 sales stood at 64,744 units, more than a quarter of Perodua’s total.

The automotive analyst said: “Perodua will continue to lead for the next few years and that’s understandable. Proton’s problems go deep and they need time to resolve these.”

In 2017, the government revealed that Proton had received over RM15 billion in financial assistance since 1984, with most of the funds used to cover its losses from poor sales and high costs.

Geely’s entry is expected to turn things around.

Another automotive analyst said the technology injection into Proton is more advanced than what is available in the current Malaysian market and could help the carmaker expand its market share.

Mr Li told automotive blog Paultan.org last December: “Proton will enter segments with potential that it wasn’t represented in before this. Our goal is singular: to improve Proton’s condition and restore it to its respected position.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business

Carrie Lam assures investors Hong Kong can rebound from protests

Written by the Associated Press as appearing in the Straits Times. Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam has told investors at a Belt and Road forum that the semi-autonomous Chinese territory can rebound from months of protests, despite no sign that the unrest will cool down. Mrs Lam voiced confidence at Wednesday’s (Sept 11) forum that rifts can be mended through government plans for dialogue and upholding the so-called “one country, two systems” policy that gives Hong Kong some freedoms not enjoyed on the mainland. She said Hong Kong’s “indomitable resilience” will see the city through the conflict. Mrs Lam’s promise last week to axe an extradition Bill that sparked demonstrations failed t


By The Straits Times
September 12, 2019

Business

Nissan board pushes out Saikawa after disclosure of improper compensation

The embattled company is facing major structural changes on the back of two scandals. Nissan Motor Co. announced Monday that President and Chief Executive Officer Hiroto Saikawa will resign, effective Sept. 16. The company’s board requested his resignation in the wake of a revelation that he had improperly received compensation, and he accepted the request. The automaker aims to choose a successor by the end of October. Meanwhile, Chief Operating Officer Yasuhiro Yamauchi will serve as acting CEO until then. “I have considered that my mission was to restore ties with Renault and improve earnings,” Saikawa said during a press conference Monday night at Nissan headquarters in Yokohama. “I have considered that if a successor system is established, I should start handing over my duties.” The successor will be chosen by the company’s nomination commi


By The Japan News
September 11, 2019

Business

B Grimm alots 38.5 billion Baht till 2022 in Asean

The company has earmarked the money for investment. B Grimm Power Plc has set aside more than Bt38.5 billion for investment in its power projects with the aim of achieving 5,000 megawatts by 2022, the company’s chief executive officer Preeyanart Soontornwata said after opening its largest solar farm electricity plant in Tay Ninh, Vietnam in last week. “We will focus on green energy such as solar, wind and hydropower in Thailand and others countries in Asia,” she said. The company is currently developing renewable energy in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, South Korea, and the Philippines through 17 co-generation plants, 24 solar PVs, three hydro-power plants, one industrial waste-to-energy project, and a diesel generation with a total capacity of 2,896 megawatts. The company is looking to expand investment in Malaysia, Cambodia, South Korea, and the Philippines by f


By The Nation (Thailand)
September 10, 2019

Business

Mitsubishi Aircraft cleared for takeoff in N. America market

It will be the first indigenous mass produced aircraft from Japan in decades. Mitsubishi Aircraft Corp. announced last week that it had signed a memorandum of understanding with Mesa Airlines Inc. of the United States to supply 100 of its Mitsubishi SpaceJet regional aircraft — a major step for expanding its struggling business into North America, the world’s largest market. Industry observers are keenly watching to see if sales of the Mitsubishi SpaceJet can prvide as momentum for Mitsubishi Aircraft to escape its current strife. The SpaceJet, Japan’s first domestically produced passenger jet formerly known as Mitsubishi Regional Jet, has a capacity of about 70 seats, and meets growing demand in the United States for smaller aircraft. If the order is formally decided, it will be the first deal for the manufacturer in about three years. With a price tag of a


By The Japan News
September 10, 2019

Business

China says Canada solely responsible for difficulties in relations

The heiress to the Huawei fortune has been arrested in Canada, while China has arrested several Canadians. China-Canada relations have met serious difficulties, and the Canadian side is solely responsible for this, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Thursday. Geng Shuang made the comment at a press briefing when asked about Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s remarks that the Canadian government would not “back down” in disputes with China. Urging the Canadian side to reflect upon its mistakes, Geng said Canada should treat China’s solemn position and concerns seriously and immediately release Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of Huawei. Geng also criticized Canada’s series of wrong comments on Hong Kong, saying that Hong Kong affairs are China’s internal affairs and brook no interference from any country, organization or individual.


By China Daily
August 23, 2019

Business

Ho Chi Minh attracts nearly 4 billion USD in investment in 2019

Manufacturing and textiles among key sectors. HCM City attracted about US$3.63 billion of foreign direct investment (FDI) capital in the first seven months of this year, marking a year-on-year increase of 15.2 per cent, according to the municipal People’s Committee. Nearly $688.8 million came from 678 newly registered projects, up 26.9 per cent in value and 18.3 per cent in the number of projects from the same period last year. In the period, 2,668 foreign investors bought shares and acquired stakes of domestic enterprises with total registered capital of $2.6 billion, 28.3 per cent and 16.7 per cent higher respectively than in the same period last year. Meanwhile, HCM City granted business licences to 24,529 new domestic enterprises worth more than VND396 trillion ($17 billion), up 0.9 per cent and 25.7 per cent, respectively. Up to 71,874 existing enterprises were allowed to add a c


By Viet Nam News
August 20, 2019