See More on Facebook

Current affairs

Firefighters battle Gangwon mountain fires

Fire agency issues highest level alert after 2 people die.


Written by

Updated: April 5, 2019

Fire trucks from different regions of South Korea are being deployed to Gangwon Province following a series of mountain fires that struck the area, authorities said Thursday.

The National Fire Agency said it has ordered all headquarters of major regions, including Seoul, Gyeonggi Province and North Chungcheong Province, to send fire trucks to the border town of Goseong, around 210 kilometers northeast of Seoul.

According to the Gangwon Fire Headquarters, fire broke out on a roadside in Goseong at around 7:17 p.m. and spread to a nearby mountain, leading to the evacuation of residents and guests of a nearby condominium.

The fire agency said it has issued the highest level alert — level three — as of 9:44 p.m. The first level indicates a fire is only affecting a limited area, while the second step is issued for a fire covering more than one city or province.

The top level is issued for accidents affecting the entire nation, reflecting the seriousness of the situation.

“It is extremely rare for fire trucks to be dispatched on a nationwide scale,” an official from the agency said.

Firefighters struggled to extinguish the fire in the early stages, but the authority said they failed to do so due to the strong wind.

The authority initially sent 23 fire trucks and 78 personnel under the stage-two alert. As of 8:31, 40 fire trucks from other areas were ordered to join the extinguish effort, with more support expected to arrive from across the country.

With the fire also affecting nearby areas, some of residents in Sokcho, south of Goseong, were also asked to evacuate.

Firefighters said they are still making efforts to put out the fire.

Gangwon Province is struggling to fight another fire in the mountainous county of Inje, 165 km northeast of Seoul, which broke out at around 2:45 p.m.

As of 7:00 p.m., firefighters said they were only able to extinguish roughly 10 percent of the area.

Firefighting efforts are being delayed by the pullout of helicopters after sunset, the authority said, with strong wind also making the mission more complicated.

No casualties from the fire were immediately reported.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs

The transformation of Gokul Baskota

How Nepal’s communications minister went from being a fierce reporter to a hardline politician against free press. For Gokul Baskota, the last twelve months have been particularly busy. Since taking the helm of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, which had been without a leader for several months before his appointment last June, Baskota has eagerly placed himself at the centre of a nonstop media storm, defending every controversial bill the government has tabled or passed—from the Medical Education Bill to the 


By The Kathmandu Post
June 25, 2019

Current affairs

Battle of Okinawa memorial ceremony attended by 5,100

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe offers a flower during a memorial ceremony to commemorate those who died in the Battle of Okinawa. The Okinawa prefectural government held on Sunday a memorial ceremony to commemorate those who died in the Battle of Okinawa, in the Peace Memorial Park in the Mabuni area of Itoman, Okinawa Prefecture. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Okinawa Gov. Denny Tamaki participated in the event marking the 74th anniversary of the end of the Battle of Okinawa during the final stage of World War II. Abe and Tamaki each delivered an address to mourn the victims. About 5,100 people, including bereaved family members of the war dead, attended the ceremony, the first of the Reiwa era. In front of the park’s Cornerstone of Peace stone monuments on which the names of the war dead are inscribed, many people joined their hands in prayer. This yea


By The Japan News
June 24, 2019

Current affairs

Seventeen dead in Sihanoukville building collapse

The accident happened over the weekend. Rescue team recovered 17 corpses and at least 24 injured who were buried underneath the rubble of a building under construction which collapsed in Preah Sihanouk province. In an immediate response to the tragedy, Prime Minister Hun Sen announced a donation of 40 million riel to each of the dead victims’ families. Speaking to The Post early on Sunday, Preah Sihanoukville provincial governor Yun Min said: “Up to 8:30am, we have recorded a death toll of 17 persons. “Another 24 have suffered light to serious injuries and are receiving treatment.” The seven-storey building which is under construction collapsed at about 4 am on June 22. Since then, rescue teams have been working round-the-clock in search and recovery operations as they worked against time to save as many of the victim as possible. Families of the victims were


By Phnom Phen Post
June 24, 2019

Current affairs

Hong Kong set for more protest

Hong Kong gears up for more protests over extradition Bill as hundreds gather. Protesters began streaming in towards the Hong Kong government headquarters early Friday (June 21) morning, joining others who had camped there overnight after the administration ignored a deadline the previous day to withdraw a controversial extradition Bill. They have vowed to escalate matters on Friday and cut off access to the roads surrounding the government central offices in Tamar, Admiralty until their list of demands are met. These include a complete withdrawal of the proposed law – plans for which have been indefinitely suspended – for the June 12 protests not to be categorised as a riot, for everyone arrested


By The Straits Times
June 21, 2019

Current affairs

Hong Kong leader apologises for protest response

I offer my most sincere apology to all the people of Hong Kong: Chief Executive Carrie Lam. Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam offered her personal apology to every Hong Konger for her inadequacies in handling the extradition Bill saga, saying the incident has made her realise she needs to do better, to hear people out and to work harder to balance the view of the people. Mrs Lam told a press conference, which started at 4pm on Tuesday (June 18) and lasted for nearly an hour, that she will not restart the legislative process of the extradition Bill as long as the conflict in society is not resolved. “I have heard you loud and clear and have reflected deeply on what has transpired,” Mrs Lam said.


By The Straits Times
June 19, 2019

Current affairs

Jakarta traffic improves, says global index

The capital’s traffic situation has consistently ranked among the world’s worse. According to the latest Tom Tom Traffic Index, Jakarta’s traffic eased in 2018, making it the city showing the “biggest improvement” last year. The index ranked Jakarta the seventh most congested city in the world, up from fourth place in 2017. “Believe it or not, some cities’ traffic is decreasing over time! The TomTom Traffic Index is reporting that congestion levels are decreasing in Jakarta,” the index’s Twitter account said on Friday. The average congestion level in Jakarta was 53 percent in 2018, compared to 61 percent the year before. Some Twitter users attributed the improvement to the new MRT, but the improvement was recorded before MRT Jakarta was up and running. The TomTom Traffic index is calculat


By The Jakarta Post
June 17, 2019