See More on Facebook

Business, Current affairs

Philippines will not send overseas workers to Libya

Ban on labor deployment to Libya up as civil war erupts.


Written by

Updated: April 10, 2019

The government has banned the deployment of Filipino workers to Libya as civil war has erupted again in the north African country.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) declared Alert Level 3 on Monday night and urged some 1,000 Filipinos working in and around the Libyan capital, Tripoli, to consider getting themselves repatriated as soon as possible to avoid getting caught in the middle of the fighting in Libya.

Most of the Filipino workers are in the health care and construction sectors.

Under Alert Level 3, an automatic deployment ban is imposed by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) on both new hires and returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

Kidnapping incidents

The Department of Labor and Employment has yet to officially declare the ban, barely three months after it partially lifted a similar prohibition.

In January, the DFA lowered the crisis alert to level 2, four months after a total ban was imposed due to the many cases of Filipinos being kidnapped in Libya.

Those still bound by employment contracts were allowed to return to the Philippines, while those in the area were advised to restrict nonessential movements and avoid public places.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Tuesday appeared to have not been informed about the DFA’s latest declaration.

In a radio interview, Bello said he and other labor officials were just waiting for word from the DFA on whether the situation in Libya would merit the reclassification of the crisis alert.

“As soon as we receive the official report, we will have to come up with a governing board resolution of the POEA declaring a total ban [on] deployment to Libya,” Bello said

In declaring Alert Level 3, the DFA saw no need to get Filipino workers out of Libya as the eastern Libyan forces of Gen. Khalifa Haftar closed in on the internationally recognized government in Tripoli. The DFA, however, called for their voluntary repatriation.

Alert Level 4, the highest, calls for mandatory evacuation.

The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli acknowledged the need to raise the crisis alert level “following the escalation of the fighting that included the shelling of residential areas on the outskirts of the capital.”

Dozens killed

“Filipinos in areas near the fighting should move to safer areas or [request assistance from the embassy for] their repatriation before the fighting intensifies,” the DFA said in a statement.

The foreign office, however, limited the alert level to Tripoli and adjacent areas within a 100-kilometer radius. These are Tajoura, Ghot Romman, Qaraboli and Qasr Khiyar to the east of the capital; Esbea, Tarhuna, Bani Waled and Gharyan to the south; and Aziziya, Warshifana, Zawia, Surman and Sabratha to the west.

Reports said dozens of people had been killed while thousands had fled as fighters under the rival Libyan National Army led by General Haftar clashed with forces under the UN-backed Government of National Accord.

Tripoli’s only functioning airport was hit by an airstrike on Monday.

On Sunday, Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. angrily reacted to a query on Twitter whether the DFA would raise the alert level in Libya.

“You wanna tell that to the Filipinos who need to work there to make ends meet. ‘Putangina.’ When all hell breaks loose we in DFA will be in the fucking line of fire because we are not Yellow,” Locsin said. 

Emergency hotlines

Sen. Nancy Binay on Tuesday urged government agencies to set up emergency hotlines that the families of Filipino workers in Libya could call to be apprised of the status of their relatives.

The Philippines stopped the deployment of Filipino workers to Libya in 2011 during the first Libyan civil war that led to the ouster and death of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

At the time, and also after the second Libyan civil war broke out in 2014, then Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario flew to Libya and nearby Tunisia to supervise the repatriation of thousands of Filipino workers from the north African country.

 



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Cod Satrusayang
About the Author: Cod Satrusayang is the Managing Editor at Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business, Current affairs

Bangladesh told to stay alert for terror attacks

The warning comes after a wave of deadly bombings in Sri Lanka. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in parliament yesterday asked people to be alert and inform law enforcement agencies about any suspected terror and militant activities without delay. Her call comes days after blasts swept through posh hotels and churches in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, leaving 359 dead and around 500 injured. “I have no words to condemn such terror and militant attacks,” she said before the question-answer session in the House. “I would like to urge the people of the country to remain alert and inform the law enforcement agencies promptly if there is any abnormal activity.” Hasina said Islam is a religion of peace but some people humiliate the religion before the world by carrying out militant activities in its name. The prime minister said some 40 children, including Zayan Chowdhury, a grandson of


By Daily Star
April 25, 2019

Business, Current affairs

In any other country, govt. would have resigned

Saman Indrajith argues that the Sri Lankan government should have resigned. The entire government would have resigned if a disaster like the Easter Sunday carnage had happened in any other country, but such things would never happen in Sri Lanka, Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka told Parliament, yesterday. Participating in the debate on gazette declaring a state of emergency, Field Marshal Fonseka severely criticised both the government and the Opposition for allowing the deterioration of intelligence services. He said that soon after the end of the war in 2009, he had proposed to build a national intelligence agency combining all intelligence units and divisions and to make it the best in South Asia. But no such thing had happened. Instead, the intelligence operatives had been used to stalk and surveillance of political enemies and their children, the former Army Commander said. Fonseka said: “


By The Island
April 25, 2019

Business, Current affairs

Easter carnage could have been averted Cardinal tells army chief

Cardinal says he could’ve acted on advance warning to prevent deadly attacks. Archbishop of Colombo Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith yesterday told Army Commander Lt. Gen. Mahesh Senanayake that he would have had definitely called off Easter Sunday morning mass countrywide had he been informed of intelligence warning as regards possible attacks. Cardinal Ranjith sought a clarification as to whether the Church had been deliberately deprived of timely information when Lt. Gen. Senanayake met him at the Bishop’s House, Borella in the morning. A visibly disappointed Catholic leader asserted that Easter Sunday tragedy could have been averted. The Island had the opportunity to be present at the Bishop’s House meeting where Cardinal Ranjith strongly emphasized the responsibility on the part of the government to caution the public regarding possible threats. The meeting took place immediately after the


By The Island
April 24, 2019

Business, Current affairs

Earthquake kills 8 in Philippines

The earthquake struck the central island of Luzon Monday afternoon. Rescuers dug into rubble to reach people trapped in a supermarket that collapsed in Porac town, Pampanga province, after a 6.1-magnitude earthquake shook Luzon on Monday afternoon. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported that it was verifying reports that five people were killed in the earthquake. Three bodies were reportedly pulled out of the collapsed supermarket, but the NDRRMC said that report was “for validation.” Pampanga Gov. Lilia Pineda reported that eight people died, including an elderly woman and her grandchild who were killed when part of a wall beside their house fell on them in Barangay Santa Cruz, Lubao town, as the earth shook. The powerful earthquake struck at 5:11 p.m. rocking Luzon, including Metropolitan Manila, and sending thousands of people fleeing high-rise


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
April 23, 2019

Business, Current affairs

Asian press freedom under threat

Some common themes and little optimism as press freedom takes a back seat in Asia. The media advocacy group, Reporters without Borders—also known by its international name Reporters Sans Frontières, or RSF—released its 2019 World Press Freedom Index on Thursday. The report tells a bleak story of the future of news ecosystems around the world, and warns of increasing danger for the men and women who have made reporting the news their jobs. The index’s assessment of Asia-Pacific’s press freedom describes an atmosphere of increasing cyber harassment, physical danger and intimidation for reporters—factors that unsurprisingly have led to growing levels self-censorship across the region. A look at a the state of press freedom in a few countries around the region reveals some recurring patterns: Legal systems have been increasingly wielded as weapons by governments to silence media outlets and indiv


By Quinn Libson
April 21, 2019

Business, Current affairs

UPDATE: Over 200 dead in coordinated Sri Lanka attacks

The attacks seem to target Christian churches and popular luxury hotels. At least 200 people are dead and hundreds injured in coordinated bomb attacks across Sri Lanka. The attacks seem to target Christian churches on their Easter Sunday services as well as major hotels in the capital, Colombo. Authorities said that some of the attacks were carried out by suicide bombers. According to the Statesman newspaper, the churches that were attacked include St. Anthony’s Church in Kochchikade in Colombo, the St. Sebastian’s Church in Katuwapitiya in Katana and a third in Batticaloa. Sri Lankan press say that the military has been called in to guard the churches and the hotels. The government has also called for a nighttime curfew and blocked access to social media on a temporary basis. Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena called for calm in a statement issued by his office. Finance


By Cod Satrusayang
April 21, 2019