See More on Facebook

Current affairs

Easter carnage could have been averted Cardinal tells army chief

Cardinal says he could’ve acted on advance warning to prevent deadly attacks.


Written by

Updated: April 24, 2019

Archbishop of Colombo Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith yesterday told Army Commander Lt. Gen. Mahesh Senanayake that he would have had definitely called off Easter Sunday morning mass countrywide had he been informed of intelligence warning as regards possible attacks.

Cardinal Ranjith sought a clarification as to whether the Church had been deliberately deprived of timely information when Lt. Gen. Senanayake met him at the Bishop’s House, Borella in the morning.

A visibly disappointed Catholic leader asserted that Easter Sunday tragedy could have been averted. The Island had the opportunity to be present at the Bishop’s House meeting where Cardinal Ranjith strongly emphasized the responsibility on the part of the government to caution the public regarding possible threats.

The meeting took place immediately after the Catholic leader received wartime Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa.

Cardinal Ranjith explained that he could have prohibited Easter Sunday mass thereby saved lives.

Police headquarters yesterday increased the Easter Sunday death toll to 293 while the wounded were placed at 500.

Cardinal Ranjith said that he could have restricted the Easter Sunday service to the main mass held on the previous night.

Cardinal Ranjith raised public declaration made by Telecommunications Minister Harin Fernando regarding the failure on the part of the government to take tangible action in spite of having prior intelligence warning regarding possible attacks.

Minister Fernando, while releasing the report on the Twitter by DIG Priyalal Dassanayake, said that he avoided Easter Sunday mass because of a warning given by his father warded at the Nawaloka hospital.

The top police officer identified the organization allegedly involved in the conspiracy as ‘National Thawheeth Jamaath.’ In addition to the Catholic churches, the Indian High Commission in Colombo was named as the other target.

New Delhi is believed to have shared some information regarding the extremist plot with the Sri Lankan government. Sri Lanka has already enhanced security at the Indian High Commission. India maintains a strong security contingent in Colombo to meet any eventuality.

Lt. Gen Senanayake met Cardinal Ranjith after attending a special session of the National Security Council where the government discussed ways and means to meet daunting security challenge.

At the onset of the deliberations, Cardinal Ranjith didn’t mince his words when he declared that Easter Sunday tragedy could have been averted.

Cardinal Ranjith, while calling for no holds barred investigation into the attacks, emphasized the responsibility on the part of the government to inform the public of security developments.

His Eminence underscored the pivotal importance of maintaining powerful intelligence services to ensure safety and security of the nation. Referring to Israeli, US, Russian and British Intelligence Services, the Catholic Leader pointed out Sri Lanka couldn’t afford to jeopardize its security by weakening its intelligence services.

The outspoken leader of the Church regretted the public having to undergo untold hardships again a decade after the conclusion of the war.

Sri Lanka brought the war to a successful conclusion in May ten years ago.

Cardinal Ranjith and Lt. Gen. Senanayake also discussed the impact of accountability issues having on post-war security operations.

Lt. Gen. Senanayake acknowledged the difficulties experienced by the Army for want of required legal cover for the deployment of troops. The Army Chief revealed that he raised the issue with what he called political authorities at the NSC meeting earlier in the day.

The media was asked to leave the meeting to enable them to further discuss matters.

Having met Cardinal Ranjith, Gotabaya Rajapaksa told The Island at the Bishop’s House how those in authority had neglected national security. Rajapaksa said that for want of swift and decisive action on the part of political and security leaders, security was at stake.

Following the closed door meeting with Cardinal Ranjith, Lt. Gen. Senanayake explained how lack of coordination among various branches of the security forces and services hampered security operations.

The Army Chief acknowledged that the military lacked legal authority to operate in the absence of an Emergency.

Lt. Gen. Senanayake said that the entire gamut of issues was discussed including ways and means of averting another 1983 or Digana type violence.

According to him, the discussion centered around giving the legal authority to the military to tackle the crisis.

 

The Army Commander explained that in the absence of an Emergency declaration, the military couldn’t operate freely though officers and men could be deployed in support of the police at their request.

Lt. Gen. Senanayake acknowledged that overall the Easter Sunday was nothing but an intelligence failure though he refrained from pointing finger at any party.

Responding to a query, the Army Chief said he would welcome the reintroduction of emergency at least temporarily to tackle the crisis.

Asked whether those involved in Easter Sunday carnage had been involved with any foreign group, Lt. Gen. Senanayake said that such a scenario couldn’t be ruled out. The Army Chief confirmed a definite link between the attackers and those responsible for running a ‘safe house’ at Wanathavilluwa.

The police located the hideout following extremist attacks on Buddhist statues in the Mawanella police area early this year.

Lt. Gen. Senanayake said that Cardinal Ranjith was also requested to restrict movements pending stabilization of the situation.

The government provided security to the Bishop’s House both in and outside the premises.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Island
About the Author: Established in 1981, The Island is an English-language daily newspaper published in Sri Lanka.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs

China pledges international pandemic aid

 Producers of medical goods urged to meet demand from affected countries. China has pledged to do its best to offer aid to countries and international organisations affected by COVID-19 to help contain the outbreak, and businesses are being urged to boost production of epidemic prevention materials to meet demand from abroad. The announcement was made at a meeting of the leading group of China’s coronavirus response, chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday. Relevant departments and local authorities must step up co-ordination to closely monitor and analyse the quick spread of the outbreak outside China and roll out more targeted measures to prevent the import and export of infection, the group said in a statement. It is important to further


By China Daily
March 13, 2020

Current affairs

Back to work in Beijing, with tough measures in place

 Mandatory quarantine for those coming from overseas; some Wuhan businesses may reopen. As most of China attempts to return to normalcy after an extensive lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the capital Beijing has been carefully trying to strike a balance between having people restart work while also trying to keep out imported infections, and yesterday ordered a mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals. This comes as the Hubei government announced that some businesses in Wuhan, the outbreak’s epicentre, would gradually be allowed to reopen. On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan, his first visit to the city since the outbreak, a sign that the crisis could finally be easing after the government’s toug


By The Straits Times
March 12, 2020

Current affairs

Xi vows victory over coronavirus in Wuhan

President expresses condolences to families of people who died in epidemic. President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday that prevention and control of the novel coronavirus outbreak remains the top priority and most important task, even amid the recent positive signs. Xi, who is also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remark during his inspection tour in the outbreak’s epicentre, Wuhan, capital of Hubei province. The spread of the novel coronavirus has been basically curbed in Hubei and Wuhan, Xi said, adding that initial success has been made in stabilising the situation and turning the tide in Hubei and Wuhan. Xi encouraged local residents and front-line worke


By China Daily
March 11, 2020

Current affairs

China sets example in fighting virus

Epidemic reveals inadequacies in global governance; Beijing says it’s ready to help. China’s response to novel coronavirus pneumonia has set an example for the world in coping with the contagion and offered experience in advancing global public health governance, officials and experts said. The COVID-19 outbreak has also raised the alarm about global public health security and reminded countries that co-operation and co-ordination are needed to deal with challenges as infectious diseases can rapidly escalate into global emergencies, they said. There is a growing positive momentum in epidemic control nationwide thanks to the “comprehensive, thorough and rigorous” measures that China has taken to contain the virus, they said, noting that the daily


By China Daily
March 10, 2020

Current affairs

More than 800,000 people return Beijing under quarantine

“There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. About 827,000 people who came back to Beijing from outside the city are still in a 14-day quarantine to see if they had been infected with the novel coronavirus, an official said on Friday. “There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. Z


By China Daily
March 9, 2020

Current affairs

South Korea declares third city as special care zone as cases spike

President Moon receives letter of support from North Korean leader as infected cases cross 6,000. South Korea has declared a third city a “special care zone” to boost its capability to fight a spike in coronavirus infections, with cases nationwide soaring beyond 6,000. The death toll stands at 42, mostly the elderly with underlying health conditions, while 88 people have recovered, including 47 discharged yesterday. The care zone announcement came as the presidential Blue House revealed that South Korean President Moon Jae-in received a letter on Wednesday from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressing support and comfort to the people battling the coronavirus outbreak, adding that he is confident they will “prevail in this fight wit


By The Straits Times
March 6, 2020