See More on Facebook

Current affairs, Economics

Jho Low stole and lost billions

According to Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohammed, much of the money came from 1MDB.


Written by

Updated: May 7, 2019

We have evidence of fugitive Malaysian financier Low Taek Jho (pic) enriching himself unlawfully, said Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

Low, popularly known as Jho Low, has gone into hiding and as such, the government is unable to recover much of the funds from the 1Malaysia Development Bhd scandal.

“There is still a lot of money missing,” said the Prime Minister.

“The funds we have recovered is less than RM2bil.

“He stole and lost it all. 1MDB alone, he had taken RM42bil.

“Who got the money? Who is keeping the money?

“Where is the money? There is some evidence Jho Low has taken a lot of money for himself.

“We have problems trying to detect where he is but we are still after him,” Dr Mahathir added.

Jho Low has been charged in Malaysia and the United States with playing a central role in the alleged theft of US$4.5bil from 1MDB.

Low has consistently denied any wrongdoing through his spokesmen.

On another matter, the Prime Minister said no one came to him to change the new Johor Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia state chief.

The Bersatu national chairman said none of the Johor executive council members had approached him on the matter.

“The last time I saw the exco of Johor, they were not making any complaints,” said Dr Mahathir over the issue of alleged unhappiness among certain Johor Bersatu leaders over the appointment of Mazlan Bujang, who replaced former mentri besar Datuk Osman Sapian as the Bersatu state chief.

Mazlan is the Tebrau Bersatu chairman and was an exco before he was dropped from the line-up by new Mentri Besar Datuk Dr Sahruddin Jamal.

At least 21 division chiefs had a special meeting at the Johor Baru Pribumi headquarters on Sunday to pledge their support for Dr Sahruddin.

On another issue, Dr Mahathir said Malaysia Airline’s losses, coupled with bad management previously, made it difficult to turn it around.

“We have a problem with MAS.

“The last government gave it RM6bil, they sacked 6,000 people, then they don’t fly to 60% of the destinations.

“There was no gain in what they tried to do,” he said.

Dr Mahathir said the government was still searching for the best solution for MAS, Malaysia’s best known flight carrier in the world.

Asked if the government would sell MAS, Dr Mahathir replied: “Sometimes, we think we might sell the airline. So many airlines have been sold to other people.

“Airline business now is very competitive, after the emergence of low-cost carriers. The high-cost carriers do not get passengers.

“Then, you have Arab airlines providing luxurious facilities. People cannot challenge this.

“We have yet to make a decision,” said Dr Mahathir of MAS.

Experts believe that MAS may report about RM1bil in losses for full-year 2018 after incurring about RM2.4bil losses from 2015 to 2017, as the losses continue despite attempts to resuscitate the airline.

For its near-term sustainability, experts reckoned a RM1bil to RM3bil cash injection was needed.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Star
About the Author: The Star is an English-language newspaper based in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs, Economics

China-US trade deal bullish news for both countries, rest of world

From Chinese state media. State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Saturday that the China-US deal on the text of a phase-one economic and trade agreement serves as bullish news for both countries and the rest of the world. Speaking at a joint press conference with Slovenian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Miro Cerar, Wang said China has, as always, been opposed to settling economic and trade disputes by imposing tariffs as there is no winner in a trade war. China has also rejected the use of unilateral pressure as it violates the rules of the World Trade Organization (WTO), said Wang. He pointed out that following rounds of back-and-forth negotiations, China and the United States have agreed on the wording of a phase-one economic and trade agreement, and the US side has promised to phase out additional tariffs on Chinese products. The agreement demonstrates the spirit


By Esther Ng
December 16, 2019

Current affairs, Economics

China, US in constant touch to resolve trade issues

China and the United States are in constant touch to resolve pending trade and economic issues, the Ministry of Commerce said on Thursday. The comment came ahead of Sunday’s US deadline for another scheduled round of tariff increases on Chinese imports worth almost $160 billion. If a trade deal is not struck by Sunday, computer monitors and toys will be among the Chinese export items likely to be affected. Gao Feng, a ministry spokesman, said the Customs Tariff Commission of the State Council has already worked out tariff exemptions on some soybean, pork and other products shipped from the US — the latest sign of tensions easing in the protracted trade conflict. The US seems to resort to brinkmanship by using a tariff deadline to pressure China in the ongoing trade talks for a phase one, preliminary deal, said Chen Wenling, chief economist at the China Center for International Economic Exchanges


By Esther Ng
December 13, 2019

Current affairs, Economics

Report: US officials lied about Afghanistan

Civilian, military officials misled public for nearly two decades about status of war, Washington Post review of documents finds. For nearly two decades, senior US civilian and military officials didn’t tell the truth about the war in Afghanistan, The Washington Post reported on Monday after reviewing more than 2,000 pages of government documents. The officials made pronouncements they knew to be false and hid evidence that the war had become unwinnable, the newspaper said interviews with those officials show. John Sopko, the head of the federal agency that conducted the interviews, acknowledged to the Post that the documents show “the American people have constantly been lied to”. The newspaper said that two major claims in the documents are that US officials manipulated statistics to suggest to the American public that the war was being won and that successive


By Esther Ng
December 11, 2019

Current affairs, Economics

SAARC turns 35 but has very little to show for its age

The regional bloc of seven South Asian countries and Afghanistan has largely been held hostage to the rivalry between India and Pakistan, say analysts. The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation might have turned 35 but its three-and-a-half decades of existence has largely failed to advance its own central tenet—regional cooperation. As SAARC marked its 35th anniversary with a flurry of congratulatory messages from heads of government, expressing their commitment to regional cooperation, many analysts and diplomats wonder if these promises will ever translate into action. The regional association has failed to hold its 19th summit, ever since 2016 when India sud


By The Kathmandu Post
December 9, 2019

Current affairs, Economics

7 of 10 Filipinos worried by presence of Chinese workers

China has increased its presence in the archipelago. The rising presence of Chinese workers in the country worry seven out of 10 adult Filipinos, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey, as the government recently launched a crackdown against Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogos) which mostly employ Chinese nationals. The noncommissioned survey, conducted from Sept. 27 to 30, found that 31 percent “worried a great deal,” while 39 percent are “somewhat worried.” Highest in Metro Manila The proportion of those who were worried about the increasing number of Chinese workers in the country was highest in Metro Manila at 75 percent, followed by the Visayas at 71 percent, Luzon outside Metro Manila (69 percent) and Mindanao (67 percent.) About half of the respondents agree that the rising number of Chinese workers is a threat to national secur


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
December 6, 2019

Current affairs, Economics

Pakistan to launch Digital Pakistan Vision

Imran hopes to unleash ‘potential of youth and women’ with new venture. Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday said that with the introduction of the ‘Digital Pakistan Vision’, the full potential of the contribution of youth and the women to the economy will be unleashed. According to a press release from the Prime Minister Office: “The Vision sets Pakistan’s digital ambition and has been designed for the government and the private sector to work towards a digitally progressive and inclusive Pakistan.” Speaking at the launch ceremony of the initiative, the prime minister regretted not having launched it at the very beginning when his government was formed. “I should have given attention to Digital Pakistan earlier. This is the most important thing for Pakistan right now, especially its youth. The whole world is moving forward digitally and we have been l


By Asia News Network
December 6, 2019