See More on Facebook

Business, Diplomacy

China vows action as US moves to blacklist Huawei

Hopes of a trade deal recede as experts fear American companies could face a backlash.


Written by

Updated: May 17, 2019

China has slammed the United States for putting technology giant Huawei on an export blacklist and said it will take “all necessary measures” to protect the legal rights of Chinese firms.

The latest twist in the face-off between the US and China not only suggests that hopes of a trade deal are fast evaporating, but it could also delay the roll-out of 5G networks worldwide. US technology firms could also face a backlash, experts said.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said yesterday that it resolutely opposed any country using its own domestic laws to unilaterally sanction Chinese firms. It also spoke out against the abuse of the concept of national security. “China has repeatedly stressed that the concept of ‘national security’ should not be a tool for promoting trade protectionism,” said its spokesman Gao Feng.

US President Donald Trump had signed an executive order late on Wednesday that effectively barred US firms from using telecoms equipment made by Huawei, citing national security concerns.

Separately, Huawei and 70 affiliates were put on an “Entity List”, which bans the Chinese tech giant from buying parts from US firms without US government approval.

Huawei said restricting it from doing business would not make the US stronger or more secure, but would serve only to limit the US to inferior and yet more costly alternatives.

Experts said the Trump administration’s latest move could wreak havoc on supply chains, with possible delays to the global 5G network roll-out. So far, Huawei has been the leading vendor in supplying 5G network equipment, having secured 40 global contracts. It is trailed by Nokia and Ericsson.

The dual bans will hamstring Huawei, which relies on US suppliers such as Qualcomm and Marvell. But the more immediate damage was to the climate for trade talks, said Chinese experts.

“The US’ action of using the banner of national security to maintain its advantage in the (information and communications technology) space – rather than through fair competition – is an attempt to suppress China’s high-tech industry and makes it harder for the two sides to reach a trade deal,” said Professor Jia Qingguo of Peking University.

He added that Beijing might hit back by restricting US technology firms’ access to the Chinese market.

Professor Su Hao of China Foreign Affairs University said the bans are in line with the White House’s strategy of decoupling the US and Chinese economies by forcing firms from both sides to sever ties, while putting increased pressure on Beijing to make a deal on trade.

“Though China is still looking at its economic relations with the US in a positive light and is still looking at making adjustments and even compromises in trade negotiations, Beijing might have to take undesirable actions if it feels that the US’ behaviour has become overly egregious,” he said.

In a sign that Beijing might be reaching the end of its patience on trade talks, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Lu Kang stressed that for talks to be meaningful, there has to be sincerity, as he quoted a Chinese proverb about capricious use of power.

Mr Gao said China was confident of prevailing in a long-drawn trade war. “China’s macro policy tools are many, and we are confident we can cope with any difficulties or challenges. China’s industry system is complete, its market size is huge, its room for manoeuvring is big and its prospects are very bright.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business, Diplomacy

Hundreds of thousands take part in massive Hong Kong march

Police seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. HONG KONG – Hundreds of thousands braved the chilly weather in Hong Kong to join a massive and largely peaceful march on Sunday afternoon (Dec 8) hours after police, in a crackdown on the main island, seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. Sunday’s march to mark Human Rights Day drew a crowd of 800,000, said the Civil Human Rights Front, the organiser behind the biggest protests in the city. The event was a sign of the level of support for the anti-government movement that has stretched for more than six months. The march, which began around 3pm, went on smoothly but tensions notched up at night when hundreds of protesters in face masks and helmets started building barricades in areas such as Central and Causeway Bay to slow down


By The Straits Times
December 9, 2019

Business, Diplomacy

7 of 10 Filipinos worried by presence of Chinese workers

China has increased its presence in the archipelago. The rising presence of Chinese workers in the country worry seven out of 10 adult Filipinos, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey, as the government recently launched a crackdown against Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogos) which mostly employ Chinese nationals. The noncommissioned survey, conducted from Sept. 27 to 30, found that 31 percent “worried a great deal,” while 39 percent are “somewhat worried.” Highest in Metro Manila The proportion of those who were worried about the increasing number of Chinese workers in the country was highest in Metro Manila at 75 percent, followed by the Visayas at 71 percent, Luzon outside Metro Manila (69 percent) and Mindanao (67 percent.) About half of the respondents agree that the rising number of Chinese workers is a threat to national secur


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
December 6, 2019

Business, Diplomacy

Huawei asks US court to overturn ban

The company is suing the FCC, the latest in a series of legal tussles. The legal battle between Huawei Technologies Co and United States government intensified on Thursday. The Chinese tech heavyweight announced a legal challenge to the US Federal Communications Commission, seeking to overturn the latter’s order that bans telecom carriers from buying the company’s equipment via federal subsidies. The move is the latest push by the world’s largest telecom equipment maker to pursue fair competition and treatment amid a slate of restrictions from Washington. Analysts said the FCC ban would have very limited impact on Huawei’s financial performance, but labeling the company as a national security threat would cause far-reaching reputational harm. In a petition filed in the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on Thursday, Huawei asked the court to declare the FCC order un


By China Daily
December 6, 2019

Business, Diplomacy

Rohingya Crisis Fallout

Transparency International Bangladesh has painted a grim outlook for the crisis. Bangladesh faces long-term financial, political and security challenges as Rohingya repatriation may not happen anytime soon, said Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB) Executive Director Dr Iftekharuzzaman. The fund from the international community for nearly one million Rohingyas may not sustain as no strong international initiative has been taken to oblige Myanmar for creating a conducive environment for the refugees to return soon, he said. “As a result, Bangladesh’s socio-economic instability will grow. There are risks of security at local and national levels. The crisis also creates political and diplomatic challenges for the government,” Iftekharuzzaman said. It also involves the risks of growing extremism as the people who face violence are more likely to become violent, he said at a press confere


By Daily Star
December 6, 2019

Business, Diplomacy

North Korea has not given up hope for nuclear talks with US yet

Kim has mentioned a possibility of a ‘Christmas’ gift. Tensions between the US and North Korea have heightened as the two sides exchanged threats and bellicose rhetoric of possible military actions if necessary, amid their stalled nuclear talks. But they appear to have no intention to wind up their diplomacy at least for the next few weeks, experts said. On Wednesday, Heino Klinck, US deputy assistant secretary of defense for East Asia, said the US has been refraining from responding to every single one of North On Wednesday, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for East Asia Heino Klinck said the


By The Korea Herald
December 6, 2019

Business, Diplomacy

Chinese FM to visit India this month for boundary talks

The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is expected to visit India later this month to hold boundary talks with National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, sources said on Wednesday. Wang, who is also a State Councillor, and Doval are the designated Special Representatives (SRs) of the two countries for the boundary talks. The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Besides holding boundary talks with the NSA, Wang, a trusted lieutenant of Chinese President Xi Jinping, will meet External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar. He will also call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.


By The Statesman
December 5, 2019