See More on Facebook

Politics

Jakarta on edge ahead of protests against election results

The opposition has yet to yield and admit defeat.


Written by

Updated: May 20, 2019

Indonesia is on edge following plans by an Islamist group to hold a two-day rally at the elections commission (KPU) on Tuesday (May 21), to protest the impending results of last month’s presidential polls.

The call for Muslims to throng the streets around the KPU headquarters in downtown Jakarta has been circulating on social media at the weekend – just before Wednesday’s deadline for the official vote count to be completed.

The rally organisers, who identified themselves as Persaudaraan Alumni 212, are calling the mass gathering a “constitutional Jihad”, according to publicity material seen by The Straits Times on Sunday (May 19).

The 2016 protest, led by far-right Muslims from the Islamic Defenders Front, better known locally as the FPI, had threatened to destabilise the country during the gubernatorial election, which was marred by religiosity and sectarianism.

Reports of the rally this week raised similar fears among many in the city, prompting foreign missions such as the United States embassy to issue a warning of “heightened risk of terrorism” and mass demonstrations in Jakarta, as well as other cities in Indonesia, such as Surabaya and Medan.

The security alerts also comes after Indonesian police warned of possible attacks by terroriststargeting mass gatherings of people and security forces during the public rallies outside the KPU building.

The police said around 30 terror suspects have been arrested by counter-terrorism police from across the country in connection with a plot to strike at the elections commission on Wednesday.

Several improvised explosive devices, as well as other bomb-making material have been seized from the suspects during the police raids.

Police also said more than 32,000 troops, including hundreds supplemented from other provinces, have been mobilised to secure the city.

FPI leader Rizieq Shihab, who is in self-exile in Saudi Arabia to avoid police questioning in connection with a pornography case, is seen on the publicity material for the upcoming rally, flanked by presidential hopeful Prabowo Subianto and his running mate Sandiaga Uno.

The photos of the two candidates appear to have been taken from their official campaign documents, with the hardline Muslim cleric digitally added between them.

Mr Prabowo, who ran against incumbent Joko Widodo, is expected to lose the April 17 presidential race by 11 percentage points, according to Sunday’s tally of almost 90 per cent of the votes by the KPU.

The former general, however, has been adamant that he will not accept the results after making repeated allegations of electoral fraud.

He has claimed that he and Mr Sandiaga had lost votes due to the millions of fictitious names added to voter rolls, the exploitation of state apparatus, money politics, precast ballots and data entry errors by the KPU.

It is unclear how Mr Prabowo or his campaign team will respond to the election results on Wednesday, although a close aide has said the former general has no plans to contest the KPU tally in court as he did when he first lost to Mr Joko at the 2014 election, because it would be a “waste of time”.

A campaign official, however, has denied reports in local media saying that Mr Prabowo will lead the Persaudaraan Alumni 212 protest this week.

“It is not true,” Mr Ferry Juliantono, a spokesman for the Prabowo-Sandiaga campaign committee, told Tempo news on Saturday.

The long election period, which started as early as August last year with the nomination of candidates for the polls, is set to come to an end later this month.

KPU chairman Arief Budiman has confirmed that the elections commission will finalise the vote count by Wednesday, and declare the winner of the presidential race no later than May 28.

But he said this will only be possible if there are no legal challenges filed against the election results at the Constitutional Court within three days of its release by the KPU.

“So if the votes are disputed, we will have to wait until the dispute process is complete,” he added.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

Hong Kong government blasts riots

Hong Kong police chief blasts Sha Tin violence which leaves six people seriously injured. Embattled Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam broke her silence on Monday afternoon (July 15)  to condemn “rioters” and praise police after violent clashes on Sunday night that left two people in critical condition and four in a serious state. Mrs Lam said the police had acted “professionally” and practised “restrain” in dealing with the group of protesters who hung around New Town Plaza shopping mall in Sha Tin, hours after a rally had ended. Speaking to the media at a Tai Po hospital, where six officers are still being treated, she said the police’s duty is to uphold the law and those who broke the law have to be taken to task. “Hong Kong society will not condone such violence,” she added. Secretary for Security John Lee, who also visited the hospital, told reporters


By The Straits Times
July 16, 2019

Politics

Hong Kong protests: Chaos speads to Sha Tin mall after rally ends

Protests continue, this time against Chinese vendors. Violent clashes between law enforcers and some protesters erupted yet again on Sunday (July 14) following a largely peaceful march hours earlier in the New Territories town of Sha Tin. About three hours after the rally ended at 5pm, police in riot gear began clearing the streets, setting off a game of cat and mouse with them and protesters trying to corner one another. Tensions peaked at about 9.30pm when officers armed with shields and batons entered New Town Plaza mall in Sha Tin and tried to disperse the crowd that was hiding there, resulting in chaos. Police officers were seen chasing after a protester, hitting him with batons and ripping his clothes off as they tried to pin him down before he managed to flee to safety with help from fellow protesters, who were trying to dodge pepper spray. Elsewhere in the mall, protesters surround


By The Straits Times
July 15, 2019

Politics

India asks Commonwealth to readmit Maldives

Maldives pulled out of commonwealth under previous administration over human rights concerns. India has called upon for fast-tracking the process of readmission of the Maldives to the Commonwealth. This was conveyed by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar at the 19th Commonwealth Foreign Affairs Ministers’ Meeting (CFAMM) in London on Wednesday. “The External Affairs Minister, in his remarks, congratulated the member countries on the 70th anniversary of Commonwealth. He also noted that India is well on the path of fulfilling all the commitments made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at CHOGM 2018. The EAM called for fast-tracking of the process of re-admission of Maldives to the Commonwealth,” the External Affairs Ministry said in a statement. New Delhi’s support for the Indian Ocean archipelago came weeks after Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Male on his first overseas trip after being re-


By The Statesman
July 12, 2019

Politics

Japan’s export curbs fuel political feud in S. Korea

Seoul is in political turmoil as politicians tackle the best course of action to pursue with Japan. Japan’s decision to impose export restrictions on key hi-tech semiconductor and electronics materials to South Korea is having a political fallout here. President Moon Jae-in on Wednesday reiterated Seoul’s position that the measures are politically motivated, while criticizing Japan’s attempt to justify its actions by linking them to sanctions on North Korea. “The Japanese government is taking measures that impact our economy for political goals, and making comments that link (the measures) to North Korean sanctions without any basis. It is not beneficial for bilateral relations and security cooperation,” Moon said at a meeting with leaders of South Korea’s largest corporations on Wednesday.


By The Korea Herald
July 11, 2019

Politics

Thai cabinet announced and endorsed

Former coup leader and despot will be prime minister and defence minister. The appointment of new Cabinet members headed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has been endorsed by His Majesty the King. The list of the 36-member new Cabinet was announced in the Royal Gazette on Wednesday and countersigned by Prayut, who was reappointed prime minister on June 9. Prayut will also double as Defence Minister, a key position currently held by General Prawit Wongsuwan, his deputy in the outgoing government. Prawit will retain his position as a deputy prime minister and is expected to also be in charge of security affairs. The new Cabinet also has eight other ministers who have worked with Prayut and Prawit in the current post-coup government: Somkid Jatusripitak, Wissanu Krea-ngam, General Chaichan Changmongkol, Uttama Savanayana, Don Pramudwinai, Suvit Maesincee, Sontirat So


By The Nation (Thailand)
July 11, 2019

Politics

Amnesty International responds to Duterte’s government

The rights organization tells government spokesman Panelo: Do your homework. Amnesty International fired back at presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo on Tuesday, a day after he accused the human rights monitor of politicizing the thousands of killings in President Rodrigo Duterte’s brutal war on drugs. “We suggest next time before the honorable presidential spokesperson makes a response, he should at least do his homework first by reading our report,” said Butch Olano, Amnesty Philippines section director. “Accusing Amnesty International of politicizing the issue of extrajudicial executions is just another way of muddling the Duterte administration’s accountability and its complicity in the gravity of this problem,” Olano said. Template Panelo on Monday slammed the London-based human rights group as “incorrigible” for insisting on a United Nations pro


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
July 10, 2019