See More on Facebook

Business, Diplomacy

Google blocks Huawei from Android updates

The move leaves one of the world’s largest mobile phone manufacturer without an operating system.


Written by

Updated: May 21, 2019

Google has barred Huawei from updates to its Android operating system to comply with a US government ban, putting the Chinese smartphone maker on the ropes as it scrambled yesterday to assure customers it would continue to support existing smartphones and tablets.

Several US tech giants joined Google in suspending business with Huawei, including Intel, Qualcomm, Broadcom and Xilinx, Bloomberg News reported, citing sources.

Moving to contain the damage, a Huawei spokesman said: “We have made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.”

US stocks fell yesterday, with the S&P 500 technology sector slipping 1.95 per cent in early trading.

Headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong, Huawei is the world’s second-largest smartphone maker, selling nearly 203 million phones last year.

The US administration, which sees it as engaging in espionage in the United States on behalf of the Chinese government, has been tightening the screws on the firm, and took two actions against it last week.

Huawei was the unspecified target of the first, an executive order banning US telecommunications firms from installing foreign-made equipment that could prove a threat to national security.

The US also added Huawei and its affiliates to the Commerce Department’s Entity List, banning it from doing business with US companies, and calling into question its ability to continue manufacturing.

Huawei has said that it has been preparing for the US ban and is able to ensure a steady supply of most products.

The US’ latest moves cast a cloud over a potential meeting between President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Japan late next month, which is seen as a critical opportunity for the two giant economies to reach a deal and wind back a damaging trade war.

“At this timing, the latest moves against Huawei are interpreted by many as additional maximum pressure to force China to sign a trade deal desired by the US,” Ms Yun Sun, director of the China Programme at the Stimson Centre, told The Straits Times.

Eurasia Group founder Ian Bremmer said Mr Trump has considerably raised the stakes for the June meeting. On the other hand, nationalist sentiment in China is sure to rise further.

There remains some uncertainty as to whether the US will issue temporary licences or exemptions for American suppliers to Huawei. Last year, Mr Trump threatened another Chinese telecom company, ZTE, but relented.

With Huawei, though, there is more at stake, analysts said. If the US does not issue a general licence, it would be a major blow to the stability of one of China’s most important companies, the Eurasia Group said.

“Even a less severe scenario, in which US companies are covered under a temporary licence that could be revoked at any time, would make Beijing less likely to yield on some of the core technology issues at the heart of the trade dispute,” said China researchers at Eurasia Group Michael Hirson and Allison Sherlock in an e-mail.

Rosenblatt Securities analyst Ryan Koontz told Bloomberg News that Huawei “is heavily dependent on US semiconductor products and would be seriously crippled without supply of key US components”.

“The extreme scenario of Huawei’s telecom network unit failing would set China back many years and such a failure would have massive global telecom market implications.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business, Diplomacy

China pledges international pandemic aid

 Producers of medical goods urged to meet demand from affected countries. China has pledged to do its best to offer aid to countries and international organisations affected by COVID-19 to help contain the outbreak, and businesses are being urged to boost production of epidemic prevention materials to meet demand from abroad. The announcement was made at a meeting of the leading group of China’s coronavirus response, chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday. Relevant departments and local authorities must step up co-ordination to closely monitor and analyse the quick spread of the outbreak outside China and roll out more targeted measures to prevent the import and export of infection, the group said in a statement. It is important to further


By China Daily
March 13, 2020

Business, Diplomacy

Back to work in Beijing, with tough measures in place

 Mandatory quarantine for those coming from overseas; some Wuhan businesses may reopen. As most of China attempts to return to normalcy after an extensive lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the capital Beijing has been carefully trying to strike a balance between having people restart work while also trying to keep out imported infections, and yesterday ordered a mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals. This comes as the Hubei government announced that some businesses in Wuhan, the outbreak’s epicentre, would gradually be allowed to reopen. On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan, his first visit to the city since the outbreak, a sign that the crisis could finally be easing after the government’s toug


By The Straits Times
March 12, 2020

Business, Diplomacy

Xi vows victory over coronavirus in Wuhan

President expresses condolences to families of people who died in epidemic. President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday that prevention and control of the novel coronavirus outbreak remains the top priority and most important task, even amid the recent positive signs. Xi, who is also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remark during his inspection tour in the outbreak’s epicentre, Wuhan, capital of Hubei province. The spread of the novel coronavirus has been basically curbed in Hubei and Wuhan, Xi said, adding that initial success has been made in stabilising the situation and turning the tide in Hubei and Wuhan. Xi encouraged local residents and front-line worke


By China Daily
March 11, 2020

Business, Diplomacy

China sets example in fighting virus

Epidemic reveals inadequacies in global governance; Beijing says it’s ready to help. China’s response to novel coronavirus pneumonia has set an example for the world in coping with the contagion and offered experience in advancing global public health governance, officials and experts said. The COVID-19 outbreak has also raised the alarm about global public health security and reminded countries that co-operation and co-ordination are needed to deal with challenges as infectious diseases can rapidly escalate into global emergencies, they said. There is a growing positive momentum in epidemic control nationwide thanks to the “comprehensive, thorough and rigorous” measures that China has taken to contain the virus, they said, noting that the daily


By China Daily
March 10, 2020

Business, Diplomacy

More than 800,000 people return Beijing under quarantine

“There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. About 827,000 people who came back to Beijing from outside the city are still in a 14-day quarantine to see if they had been infected with the novel coronavirus, an official said on Friday. “There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. Z


By China Daily
March 9, 2020

Business, Diplomacy

South Korea declares third city as special care zone as cases spike

President Moon receives letter of support from North Korean leader as infected cases cross 6,000. South Korea has declared a third city a “special care zone” to boost its capability to fight a spike in coronavirus infections, with cases nationwide soaring beyond 6,000. The death toll stands at 42, mostly the elderly with underlying health conditions, while 88 people have recovered, including 47 discharged yesterday. The care zone announcement came as the presidential Blue House revealed that South Korean President Moon Jae-in received a letter on Wednesday from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressing support and comfort to the people battling the coronavirus outbreak, adding that he is confident they will “prevail in this fight wit


By The Straits Times
March 6, 2020