See More on Facebook

Culture and society, Current affairs

Eight deaths on Everest, the most in four years

As climbing season draws to a close, Everest experiences its most deaths in four years.


Written by

Updated: May 27, 2019

As the Everest climbing season for this year draws to a close, with just one day left for mountaineers to make a push for the top of the world, it has recorded eight deaths, the most in the past four years, on the mountain.

British climber Robin Haynes Fisher died on Saturday due to altitude sickness at 8,600 metres, while descending from the summit, taking the death toll on the mountain to eight, according to officials. On Friday, Nepali climbing guide from Kailali, Dhruba Bista, fell ill on the Camp III and was transported by a helicopter to the base camp.

Gyanendra Shrestha, the government liaison officer, told the Post over the phone that the last climb on Everest is scheduled for Monday.

There are around 25 climbers waiting for the final ascent, he said.

“At the Khumbu Icefall, which lies at an altitude of 5,486 metres on the slopes of Everest, ice has started to melt and the ladders are getting dislodged, indicating the end of the spring climbing season,” said Shrestha. “People from the Everest base camp have also returned with only a few of them left.”

After the end of the season, when officials will sit down for records–this has been a record year, some crucial issues are likely to take the centre stage, including what many say “traffic jam” on the top of the world.

“There was a record-breaking summit on May 22 with at least 220 climbers reaching the peak,” said Shrestha.

On May 22, crowds of climbers had to wait for hours largely due to a “traffic jam” near the summit, above the mountain’s highest camp at 8,000 metres, which resulted in the deaths of Anjali S Kulkarni from India and Donald Lynn Cash from the United States. Both died while descending from the summit.

Their deaths were attributed primarily to a long queue of both ascending and descending climbers, forcing many to wait for hours.

It was the longest single-day weather window of 24 hours to summit Everest, leading to 250 climbers vying for the summit. More than 200 made it to the top as they continued until 3pm the next day.

Kulkarni, 54, from Mumbai, died above 8,000 metres, in what is known as the Death Zone, as she was descending after reaching the summit. Cash, too, died while descending from the summit, 15 metres below the Hillary Step, which stands at 8,790 metres.

Kalpana Das and Nihal Bagwan, both Indian, who reached the summit on Thursday, died while descending the mountain.

On May 16, Irish mountaineer Seamus Lawless went missing from the Everest balcony area. His expedition agency had launched a search mission but was unable to locate him. He has been presumed dead. Last week, Indian climber Ravi Thakar died at Camp IV while returning from the summit.

In 2016 and 2017, Everest claimed lives of six and five climbers respectively.

Last year, there were five deaths on the mountain.

On April 18, 2014, there was an avalanche near Everest Base Camp which killed 16 Nepali guides. Rescuers pulled out 13 bodies and the remaining three were never recovered as search and rescue operations were called off citing “too much risk”.

In 2015, quake-triggered avalanches killed 20 climbers.

This year, the Everest season started on May 15 and had only two windows–consisting of six summit days.

The Department of Tourism had cleared 381 climbers to climb the world’s tallest peak this season. More than 800 people, those with climbing permits and their guides, were on Everest this season.

“We have expected that more than 500 people have reached the summit this year,” said Shrestha. Details are expected to come after a few weeks.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Kathmandu Post
About the Author: The Kathmandu Post was Nepal’s first privately owned English broadsheet daily and is currently the country's leading English-language newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Culture and society, Current affairs

Coming challenges call for stronger Korea-ASEAN ties

President Moon Jae-in contributed this article to The Korea Herald and Asia News Network member newspapers on the occasion of the 2019 ASEAN-Republic of Korea Commemorative Summit.  Next week, November 25-27, the 2019 ASEAN-Republic of Korea Commemorative Summit and the 1st Mekong-Republic of Korea Summit will be held in Korea. In particular, since my hometown Busan will play host to the events, I am very much looking forward to them – as if I have invited valued guests to my home. I send early greetings in a warm welcome to the heads of state and government as well as to the Secretary-General of ASEAN. The Republic of Korea was ASEAN’s first dialogue partner to establish an ASEAN Culture House. Koreans love ASEAN so much that the National ASEAN Recreation Forest was created complete with cabins modeled after the various traditional housing styles of the 10 ASEAN member states. After I took offic


By Asia News Network
November 18, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

MH17 probe releases new phone calls linking suspects to top Russians

With contributions by AFP. A Dutch-led probe into the shooting-down of flight MH17 over Ukraine in 2014 released new intercepted phone calls on Thursday (Nov 14) between high-ranking Russian officials and suspects facing trial over the crash. Investigators said they were making a “new witness appeal” based on “recorded telephone calls between the leaders of the DPR (Donetsk People’s Republic, a separatist group) and high-ranking Russian officials.” “Ties between Russian officials and DPR leaders appear to have been much closer” than originally believed, Mr Andy Kraag, the head of Dutch police’s Criminal Investigations Division, said in a video statement. Investigators said in June that they were going to put three Rus


By Cod Satrusayang
November 15, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Hong Kong dismisses curfew rumours

Hong Kongers on edge amid reports of evacuation of students from the mainland. Even as the Hong Kong government dismissed intense speculation that curfew would be imposed in the city over the weekend amid mounting unrest, Chinese President Xi Jinping yesterday made clear that ending violence and restoring order was the “most urgent task for Hong Kong”. Speaking at the Brics Summit in Brazil’s capital Brasilia yesterday, Mr Xi said: “The Chinese government’s determination to safeguard national sovereignty, security and development interests is unshakeable. The Chinese government’s determination to implement the ‘one country, two systems’ principle and oppose the interference of any outside forces in Hong Kong affairs is firm and unshakeable.” The growing unrest has crippled the city over the past four days, with 


By The Straits Times
November 15, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Bangladesh charges 25 in student’s death

‘They sought to strike terror into students’. The accused in Buet student Abrar Fahad murder case had turned so rowdy that they often tortured general students to establish a reign of terror on the campus. Their efforts to create terror resulted in Abrar killing, DMP Additional Commissioner Monirul Islam said as police pressed charges against 25 Buet students, mostly leaders and activists of the university’s BCL unit, in the case yesterday. The move came 37 days after Abrar, a second year student of electrical


By Daily Star
November 14, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

Continued chaos on Hong Kong roads due to strikes

All schools shut on Thursday to protect students. Hong Kong on Wednesday (Nov 13) faced a third straight day of traffic chaos as protesters continued their strike,  obstructing roads and fighting pitched battles with police across the city as schools cancelled classes. The Education Bureau announced that all schools including kindergarten, primary and secondary as well as special schools will suspend lessons on Thursday (Nov 14) out of safety concerns. The Hong Kong Association of the Heads of Secondary Schools has asked the Education Bureau to suspend school on Friday as well. “In some schools situated under the impact of confrontational events, teachers and students had their lessons amidst the tear gas,


By The Straits Times
November 14, 2019

Culture and society, Current affairs

India should have signed up for RCEP

India has decided to put a halt on its joining the largest planned free trade area. Had India not pulled out at the last minute from signing the deal during the 3rd summit of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) in Bangkok on November 4, the RCEP would have been the largest free trade area in the world so far—comprising of 16 Asia Pacific countries that house 3.4 billion people, and constituting one-third of the global gross domestic product (GDP) and 40 percent of global trade. Ten member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) along with Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea fo


By The Kathmandu Post
November 13, 2019