See More on Facebook

News

Pakistan refutes BBC story on rights abuses

BBC story on ‘Pakistan’s secret human rights abuses’ a pack of lies: ISPR.


Written by

Updated: June 4, 2019

The military’s media wing on Monday issued a strongly worded response to a BBC story that documented alleged human rights abuses in the tribal areas of former Fata, and termed the report a “pack of lies”.

The BBC story published on June 2, titled Uncovering Pakistan’s secret human rights abuses, looks into Pakistan’s long battle with militants as part of the post-9/11 “war on terror” and carries the accounts of locals as well as the top leader of the Pashtun Tahaffuz Movement (PTM), Manzoor Pashteen.

According to the report, local rights activists “say scores of civilians have been killed in successive air campaigns and ground operations by the military”. They have been collecting video and documentary evidence to back up their claims, adds the article.

The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) in its statement on Monday, however, said the story “carries conjecturing implicating Pakistan Army without any proof”, adding that the report is “in violation of journalistic ethos”.

“The angling, spinning and creditability of the story is exposed from the fact that contrary to published claim, ISPR only received a judgmental questionnaire via email,” the statement said, adding that the ISPR in response offered the broadcaster “full opportunity” for interaction to know the facts, but the “BBC team never responded and did a preconceived conjectured story.”

The military’s media wing specifically responded to a 2014 incident mentioned in the BBC story, which said that a civilian’s house in North Waziristan tribal district was wrongly hit by air strikes in early 2014 after it was misunderstood to be the hiding place of a senior Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) commander.

“Quoting security officials, news channels reported on 22 January 2014 that Adnan Rasheed’s hideout had been targeted two nights earlier in the Hamzoni area,” says the report.

“Instead of taking out a top militant, Pakistan’s military had actually killed the family of a local man who had his home blown to pieces,” the report adds.

It then quotes Nazirullah, the man whose house was allegedly hit, as saying: “It was as if the house had exploded. My wife and I were shaken out of our sleep. There was a strong smell of gunpowder in the air. Both of us rushed to the door and stepped out, only to discover that the entire roof of our room had already collapsed, except a corner where our bed was.”

Four of Nazirullah’s family died, including a three-year-old girl, the BBCreport says.

The Army’s media wing negated the reporting, saying the story was “void of the context and understanding of the prevalent environment at that time”. It added that contrary to the impression made in the story, the military operation in North Waziristan had not even started by the date the alleged misstrike mentioned in the BBC story took place. The ISPR appeared to be referring to Operation Zarb-i-Azb, which was launched in North Waziristan on June 15, 2014.

According to ISPR, the area of North Waziristan was being used by terrorists “to plan, coordinate and execute terrorists activities across the country” and on an average, 6-8 terrorist incidents were taking place across the country per month.

“People were being slaughtered in NWD and terrorists were playing football with heads of their victims. NWD and local population was actually hostage to hardcore terrorists.”

The statement added that the BBC story “lacks any credible and authentic source” and relied on hearsay, with its claims regarding the “so-called strikes” that allegedly wrongly targeted a civilian’s house based on news aired by an “unauthentic private TV channel” on January 22, 2014.

“The only source interviewed also didn’t point at anyone or talked about strike or operation,” the ISPR said, adding that the incident mentioned in the report is of North Waziristan whereas the activist quoted as a source belongs to “a particular group from South Waziristan District”.

Kharqamar check-post clash

The article also featured an interview with PTM leader Manzoor Pashteen.

“The PTM says 13 of its activists were killed on 26 May when the army opened fire on a large group of protesters in North Waziristan. The army said at least three activists were shot dead after a military checkpoint was attacked. The PTM denies this but two of its leaders, who also serve as MPs, have been arrested,” the BBC story reads, referring to a recent clash between army soldiers and protesters at Kharqamar check-post in North Waziristan.

“It has taken us almost 15 years of suffering and humiliation to gather courage to speak up, and to spread awareness about how the military trampled our constitutional rights through both direct action and a policy of support for the militants,” Pashteen is quoted as saying in the report.

The ISPR in its statement accused the BBC of ignoring “available official government stance” on the Kharqamar incident.

“The writer surely lacked knowledge of environment, ground situation, geography of the area and about conduct of operations. The story remains ill intended, biased and part of a larger agenda. It also amounts to undermine Pakistan’s efforts for fighting global menace of terrorism and Pakistan’s unparalleled achievements in war against terrorism [that have been] contributing to regional peace.

“The people of Pakistan are well aware of the fake news phenomenon of all types and design behind such undertakings,” the ISPR said, adding that the issue was being formally taken up with BBC authorities.

Meanwhile, DG ISPR Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor tweeted a screenshot of his office’s correspondence with the BBC, which says: “Before undertaking the story an interaction is suggested to know the facts.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Dawn
About the Author: Dawn is Pakistan's oldest and most widely read English-language newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News

Afghan forces, Nato killed most Afghan civilians in 2019

The following is a special report by the Associated Press. More Afghan civilians were killed by Afghan and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) forces than by the Taliban and other militants in the first half of 2019, the UN mission said in a report released on Tuesday. Most of the civilian casualties were apparently inflicted during Afghan and Nato operations against insurgents, such as airstrikes and night raids on militant hideouts. Insurgents often hide among civilians. The report by the UN mission in Afghanistan said 403 civilians were killed by Afghan forces in the first six months of the year and another 314 by international forces, a total of 717. That is compared to 531 killed by the Taliban, an Islamic State affiliate and other


By Dawn
July 31, 2019

News

Jho Low insisted Najib’s bank statements not be sent to PM’s residence

The former businessman is currently on the run with his whereabouts unknown. The High Court heard that fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, insisted that the bank statements of Datuk Seri Najib Razak should not be sent to the former prime minister’s residence on Jalan Duta. Joanna Yu, a former relationship manager at AmBank Bhd, confirmed that Low said this in an e-mail exchange between them. Under cross-examination by defense counsel Harvinderjit Singh, Yu agreed that Low wrote, “No, do not send statements to his house.” “Super sensitive,” Low’s e-mail also said. She said Low said this in response to her request for the contact details of Najib’s personal assistant. Harvinderjit: (He also wrote) Credit card statement (must) never go to the house? Yu: They always collected (th


By The Star
July 26, 2019

News

S. Korea fires warning shots at intruding Russian warplane

Two other Russian warplanes, two Chinese bombers enter KADIZ without prior notice. A Russian military aircraft intruded into South Korea’s airspace above the East Sea twice on Tuesday, prompting Air Force fighter jets to fire warning shots in response, military officials said. Two other Russian warplanes and two Chinese bombers also entered South Korea’s air defense identification zone without prior notice. According to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Russian warplane, identified as an A-50 — an airborne early warning and control aircraft — entered South Korea’s territorial airspace, some 12 to 13 kilometers away from Dokdo, at 9:


By The Korea Herald
July 24, 2019

News

Dozens die in suspected arson at animation studio in Kyoto

The perpetrator has been arrested. More than two dozen people died when a fire, possibly caused by arson, broke out at a studio managed by animation production company Kyoto Animation Co. in Fushimi Ward, Kyoto, on Thursday morning. The Kyoto city fire department initially confirmed that one person had died, but dozens were later found in cardiac arrest inside the three-story building. The Kyoto Prefectural Police later confirmed that 25 people had died. According to the fire department, a nearby resident made an emergency call at about 10:35 a.m., saying they had heard the sound of an explosion. Officials of the prefectural police rushed to the studio and found a man, 41, on a road near the studio. The man told them, “I sprinkled liquid on the first floor and set it on fire.”


By The Japan News
July 19, 2019

News

ANN Network editor wins press freedom award

Committee to Protect Journalists honours Editor Dawn Zaffar Abbas with press freedom award. Editor Dawn Zaffar Abbas has been awarded the 2019 Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) for “extraordinary and sustained achievement in the cause of press freedom”, the body announced on Tuesday. CPJ’s Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award, previously known as the Burton Benjami Memorial Award, was renamed in 2017 to honour a veteran journalist and former board member who died in 2016. “The award is presented annually to an individual who has shown extraordinary and sustained achievement in the cause of press freedom,” notes the CPJ website. Notable past recipients of the award include


By Dawn
July 17, 2019

News

Star Media Group have new CEO

Andreas Vogiatzakis is ANN partner Star Media Group’s new CEO. Seasoned ad man Andreas Vogiatzakis (pic) has been appointed the new Star Media Group Bhd CEO, and will assume the role starting Aug 13. The 53-year-old was the former CEO of Havas Media Group Malay­sia, a position he held from August 2016 until his resignation last month. Andreas was tasked to build and run the media operations for the Havas/Vivendi network. He grew Havas into a top-tier media agency in Malaysia, winning the most prestigious industry accolade – Campaign’s Gold Agency of the Year – in 2017 and was himself shortlisted for the Agency Head of the Year Award for South-East Asia. Star Media Group (SMG) chairman Datuk Fu Ah Kiow said the group’s board is confident that Andreas ’ past performance record and vast local and regional experience in the media industry would enable him to lead the managemen


By The Star
July 5, 2019