See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

Seoul approves $8 million donation to Pyongyang

North Korea is experiencing droughts in many rice producing provinces.


Written by

Updated: June 6, 2019

South Korea on Wednesday approved a plan to dispatch $8 million in humanitarian aid to North Korea via UN agencies and is considering additional donations of rice to alleviate hunger and illness in the impoverished country.

The South and North Exchange and Cooperation Promotion Council, a decision-making body under the Ministry of Unification that deals with inter-Korean policies, gave the green light to the use of funds from the government budget to support humanitarian programs for North Korea operated by the World Food Program and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).

This marks the Moon Jae-in administration’s first government-level humanitarian assistance to the North via international organizations. Its initial plan to donate $8 million in 2017, which was already endorsed by the council then, was thwarted at the height of the US’ “maximum pressure” campaign against Pyongyang.

Now that the council has approved the donations, the government plans to wrap up the administrative procedures to carry them out by the week-end.

“It typically takes three to four days to notify an international organization of the government’s decision (to make a donation) and send it money,” Unification Ministry spokesperson Lee Sang-min told reporters during a regular press briefing.

Seoul will provide $4.5 million for a WFP nutrition support initiative to offer nutrient-rich cereal and biscuits to infants and pregnant women at some 60 day care centers, orphanages and children’s hospitals in the North’s nine provinces.

The remaining $3.5 million will be given to UNICEF, which will use it to deliver essential medicines and nutrition supplies as part of a maternal and child health care project.

On May 17, the ministry announced the humanitarian assistance plans in response to a joint report from the WFP and the Food and Agriculture Organization on severe food shortages North Korea faces after the worst harvests in decades, the result of drought and flooding.

About 40 percent of North Korea’s population is in urgent need of food aid, according to the UN assessment.

In addition to the $8 million in humanitarian aid, Seoul is seeking to send rice to Pyongyang through the WFP.

“Regarding the food aid, we are continuing to have detailed discussions with the WFP,” Unification Minister Kim Yeon-chul said Tuesday during a meeting with foreign correspondents in Seoul.

Given that North Korea is most in need of food before the autumn harvest — between May and September — Seoul is expected to make a decision on the rice aid plan soon.

Last week, Rep. Seol Hoon of the ruling Democratic Party said the government might provide 50,000 tons of food aid to North Korea through international organizations and that the country needed an additional 1.45 million tons to be able to meet its citizens’ needs. The ministry said nothing has been confirmed yet.

On Tuesday, Lee Dong-ryeol, director of the peace diplomacy planning team within South Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, met in Seoul with his US counterpart, Alex Wong, deputy assistant secretary of state for East Asia and Pacific affairs, to discuss the timing of the assistance and method of delivery. They may also have discussed the plans to provide rice aid.

During the meeting, Lee also briefed Wong on the latest developments concerning North Korea, including the recent outbreak of African swine fever in the country’s northern region near the border with China.

The South proposed through an inter-Korean liaison office in the North’s border city of Kaesong on May 31 that the two countiries work together to prevent the disease from spreading. The North has yet to respond to the proposal.

“As the inter-Korean communication channel remains open, we continue to ask for the North’s response,” Lee said.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: ANN’s Board member Mr Zaffar Abbas, Editor of Pakistan’s Dawn has won the 2019 Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award from the Committee to Protest Journalists.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

869,000 sign petition calling for Moon to be impeached

Even as the government goes all out to curb the spread of the virus, such as revising an infectious disease Act to fine people up to US$2,400 for refusing a virus test, and limiting the export of face masks to 10 per cent of the output, criticism of the Moon administration has grown. Close to 869,000 people in South Korea have signed a petition to impeach President Moon Jae-in over what they claim is the government’s mishandling of the outbreak of Covid-19 in the country. The number of infections continued to surge yesterday, hitting 1,261. The petition criticised Mr Moon for not banning all visitors from China, where the coronavirus originated, and for sending three million face masks to the country. Only visitors from China’s Hubei province are


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

Diplomacy

S’pore, South Korea and Hong Kong rebound as other Asian markets bleed

STI gains on signs that the virus outbreak here seems to be largely contained. Markets in Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea enjoyed a relief rebound yesterday even as others in Asia extended losses following a global stock rout stoked by fears that the rapid rise in new coronavirus cases outside China could further dent global growth. Tokyo led the plunge with a 3.34 per cent loss after reopening yesterday, dragged down by virus fears and the Dow’s 1,031-point plunge. Sydney shed 1.6 per cent, while Shanghai lost 0.6 per cent. But the Straits Times Index gained as much as 0.9 per cent before closing up 0.51 per cent, on signs that the outbreak here seems to be largely contained. South Korea’s hard-hit Kospi index rebounded 1.18 per


By The Straits Times
February 26, 2020

Diplomacy

South Korea reports 231 new cases

Health official leading fight against virus in Daegu among those infected; 2 more deaths. South Korea has reported another huge spike of 231 new coronavirus cases yesterday, among them a health official leading the battle against the virus in the south-eastern city of Daegu, who has admitted he is a member of the secretive church linked to more than half of the country’s infections. This brings the total number of confirmed cases to 833 as of yesterday, with 14 in critical condition. The country also reported two more deaths, raising the tally to eight, while 22 people have made a full recovery. South Korean stocks tumbled 4 per cent yesterday over virus woes, as the central bank urged continued efforts to minimise the fallout from the outbreak.


By The Straits Times
February 25, 2020

Diplomacy

South Korea’s key industries hit hard by Covid-19

South Korea’s major industries – including electronics, automobiles, retail and oil refining – are on high alert due to a surge in Covid-19 cases here, as well as the market slowdown in China, the nation’s biggest export destination. As of Monday morning, the number of confirmed COVID-19 patients stood at 763, up 161 from the previous day, and the death toll had risen to eight. The nation’s largest tech firm, Samsung Electronics, temporarily shut down its operations at its Gumi plants on Saturday after one of its employees was confirmed to be infected. The Gumi site produces next-generation smartphones such as the Galaxy Z Flip and Galaxy Fold. The plant resumed operations Monday afternoon after taking quarantine measures. Another chipm


By Asia News Network
February 24, 2020

Diplomacy

China confident of virus battle victory

 Xi thanks Pakistani, ROK leaders for support, donations in phone talks. China is capable of winning the battle against the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak, which cannot undermine the foundation of China’s long-term development, President Xi Jinping said on Thursday. Xi made the remark in telephone conversations with Imran Khan, prime minister of Pakistan, and Moon Jae-in, president of the Republic of Korea. In the phone call with Khan, Xi said that the top priority of the Chinese government is to fight the disease, and the situation has developed in a positive direction thanks to the great efforts made by medical workers and people across the nation. China is confident of winning the battle against the disease, and it will minimize the e


By China Daily
February 21, 2020

Diplomacy

China confident of virus battle victory

Xi thanks Pakistani, ROK leaders for support, donations in phone talks. China is capable of winning the battle against the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak, which cannot undermine the foundation of China’s long-term development, President Xi Jinping said on Thursday. Xi made the remark in telephone conversations with Imran Khan, prime minister of Pakistan, and Moon Jae-in, president of the Republic of Korea. In the phone call with Khan, Xi said that the top priority of the Chinese government is to fight the disease, and the situation has developed in a positive direction thanks to the great efforts made by medical workers and people across the nation. China is confident of winning the battle against the disease, and it will


By China Daily
February 21, 2020