See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

Chinese vessel abandons PH boat after collision

Chinese ships rammed a Philippines fishing boat in contested territory.


Written by

Updated: June 13, 2019

A Chinese fishing vessel abandoned a sinking Philippine fishing boat after hitting it at Recto Bank in the South China Sea earlier this week, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana reported on Wednesday.

Lorenzana condemned the hit-and-run and called for an investigation and diplomatic action.

“We denounce the actions of the Chinese fishing vessel for immediately leaving the incident scene abandoning the 22 Filipino crewmen to the mercy of the elements,” he said in a statement.

“We condemn in the strongest terms the cowardly action of the Chinese fishing vessel and its crew for abandoning the Filipino crew. This is not the expected action from a responsible and friendly people,” he said.

Fled the scene

The incident happened on Sunday night.

Lorenzana said the Philippine fishing boat Gimver 1 was anchored at Recto Bank when it was hit by the Chinese fishing vessel.

The Philippine fishing boat sank after being hit, he said.

Instead of stopping to help the crew of the Philippine boat, he said, the Chinese fishing vessel sailed away.

“Fortunately, a Vietnamese fishing vessel was in the vicinity, rescued all 22 fishermen, and brought them to safety,” Lorenzana said.

“We thank the captain and crew of the Vietnamese vessel for saving the lives of the 22 Filipino crew,” he said.

Lorenzana urged an investigation and recommended diplomatic action to prevent a repeat of the incident.

‘Condemnable,’ ‘contemptible’

Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. denounced the action of the Chinese fishing vessel.

“I take my cue from Defense Secretary Lorenzana. What is contemptible and condemnable is the abandonment of the

crew to the elements,” Locsin tweeted.

Locsin acknowledged the Vietnamese fishing vessel’s help.

“Vietnam’s rescue will be the basis of enhanced Vietnam-Philippine military cooperation,” he said.

Locsin said he was expecting a report on the incident.

Sen. Panfilo Lacson said the “cowardly act” of the Chinese fishermen who abandoned the Filipino crew of the sinking fishing boat should prompt high-level talks between the Philippines and China.

“Nothing short of a hard and serious punitive action by the Chinese leadership against the Chinese crew responsible for the cowardly act against our fishermen could assuage the majority of our countrymen’s strong apprehension about the sincerity of China toward us,” he said.

Leader-to-leader talk

“This incident calls for a leader-to-leader talk. As I said, nothing short of a serious punitive action by the Chinese government against those responsible can convince us of a real friendly relationship between our peoples,” he said.

Lacson also raised doubt over China’s treatment of the Philippines, saying: “We don’t treat our friends like that and we don’t expect to be treated that way, either.”

Opposition Sen. Francis Pangilinan added his voice to the condemnation of the Chinese action and urged the Duterte administration “to reverse its policy of subservience and appeasement and file a diplomatic protest.”

“We condemn the illegal acts committed by the Chinese vessel. We denounce the inhumane and cruel act of abandoning 22 human lives in the high seas,” Pangilinan said.

“No self-respecting nation in the world will stay meek and docile in the face of such cruelty and aggression,” he added.

Recto Bank, internationally known as Reed Bank, is located in the West Philippine Sea, waters within the Philippines’ 370-kilometer exclusive economic zone in the South China Sea.

Despite a 2016 ruling by the UN-backed Permanent Court of Arbitration invalidating its claim over nearly the entire South China Sea, China insists it owns Recto Bank, as well as seven Philippine-claimed reefs in the heavily disputed waterway.

Maritime militia

China has deployed coast guard vessels and a maritime militia — civilian boats disguised as fishing vessels — to intimidate rivals for territory in the Spratly archipelago, in the middle of the South China Sea.

It was not clear on Wednesday whether the Chinese fishing vessel was part of China’s maritime militia.

 



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Philippine Daily Inquirer
About the Author: The Philippine Daily Inquirer is one the country’s most credible and influential newspapers with over 500 awards and citations.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

Pakistan to take Kashmir dispute with India to World Court

As seen in the Daily Star. Pakistan said on Tuesday it would take its dispute with India over Kashmir to the International Court of Justice, after New Delhi revoked the special status of its part of the region earlier this month. Islamabad reacted with fury to that decision, cutting trade and transport links and expelling India’s ambassador. “We have decided to take the Kashmir case to the International Court of Justice,” Pakistan’s foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, told ARY News TV on Tuesday. “The decision was taken after considering all legal aspects.” The case would center on alleged human rights violations by India in Muslim-majority Kashmir, which both countries claim in full but rule in part, Qureshi said. A decision by the court would be advisory only. However, if both countries agreed before-hand, the ruling would become binding. A spokesm


By Daily Star
August 21, 2019

Diplomacy

US urged to observe one-China principle, revoke planned sale of F-16 jets to Taiwan

The statements were published in Chinese state media. The United States should immediately revoke its planned sale of F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan or accept the possible consequences, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday, after US President Donald Trump was quoted in reports as saying he had given a green light to the $8 billion deal. Trump said he had approved the deal in New Jersey late last week, Taipei-based Central News Agency reported on Monday. Speaking at a news conference in Beijing on Monday, Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said he was aware of the reports, and repeated China’s firm opposition to the planned sale. China has lodged solemn representations several times to the US over the sale, which gravely violates the one-China principle and the stipulations in the three China-US joint communiques, Geng said. The move also constitutes serious interference in China̵


By China Daily
August 21, 2019

Diplomacy

Modi’s next move

Moeed Yusuf, the author of Brokering Peace in Nuclear Environments: US Crisis Management in South Asia, writes for Dawn newspaper.  For most in Pakistan, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s move of revoking held Kashmir’s special status in the Indian constitution came as a shock — even if his government’s manifesto categorically stated his intent to do so. Shocking? Hardly. In fact, the move has laid to rest any pretence that Modi recognises the need to be a centrist prime minister and that his pandering to his right-wing RSS support base is only a way to keep them in good humour. Everything about his government’s demeanour over the past couple of weeks confirms the deep ideological conviction that underpins his actions. Sadly, the popular rebuttal that India’s democracy is robust enough to keep the minorities from being jett


By Dawn
August 21, 2019

Diplomacy

Seoul reviews military intel-sharing pact with Japan

Koreans divided on GSOMIA as the deadline for renewal emerges on Saturday. Nearly six decades have passed since South Korea and Japan signed a treaty to normalize diplomatic ties in 1965, but their relationship has been fraught since then with continued bitterness over the history of Korea’s colonization. Now, as the relationship of the “frenemies” hits a new low with a budding trade war, Seoul has hinted at scrapping a military intel-sharing pact with Tokyo. But while South Koreans are unified in denouncing Japan’s increased controls on exports to South Korea, opinions are split over whether it is appropriate to use the military informati


By The Korea Herald
August 21, 2019

Diplomacy

Seoul summons Japanese envoy over radioactive water disposal plan

Concerns over Fukushima discharge. South Korea’s Foreign Ministry on Monday sought a detailed explanation on Japan’s reported plan to release radioactive water from the 2011 Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown, while expressing safety concerns. Climate, Environment, Science and Foreign Affairs Director Kwon Se-jung summoned Tomofumi Nishinaga, economic counselor at the Japanese Embassy here, to convey the government’s concerns on the possible disposal of contaminated water. “Our government very gravely recognizes the impact that the discharge of contaminated water from the Fukushima plant may have on the health and safety of both countries’ citizens, and by extension on all countries along the ocean side,” the ministry said in a press release.


By The Korea Herald
August 20, 2019

Diplomacy

Holding Huawei hostage won’t pay off: China Daily editorial

Editor’s note: Washington has postponed its Huawei decision until after holidays. Early this week, Washington will review its decision on Huawei as scheduled. It put the company on its export-control list on May 15, delaying the restrictions for three months from May 21. Although it might be the US suppliers of Huawei that care more about the outcome than the Chinese telecommunications giant itself, the US should not try to hold Huawei hostage to try and force China into agreeing to an unfair trade deal. Huawei is confident that no power can hold back the pace with which the world will step over the threshold into the 5G era and equally sure of its leadership advantages in that technology, which come from its innovation and foresight. It spends about $20 billion a year on research and development, and it has reportedly already begun research on the next generation 6G telecommunications technology.


By China Daily
August 20, 2019