See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

Iran says US ‘lying’ on talks

Tehran vows to reduce commitments to 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.


Written by

Updated: June 27, 2019

The United States enacted a new round of sanctions on Monday, targeting Iran’s supreme leader and some senior officials, further escalating tensions between the two sides.

US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday, saying he is “imposing hard-hitting sanctions on the supreme leader of Iran and the office of the supreme leader of Iran and many others”.

Trump accused Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei of being ultimately “responsible for the hostile conduct” of the country.

In response, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that the fresh sanctions prove that Washington is lying about seeking to hold talks with Teheran.

“At the same time as you call for negotiations you seek to sanction the foreign minister? It’s obvious that you’re lying,” Rouhani said.

Iranian Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani said on Tuesday that his country on July 7 will take steps to reduce its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, reported Reuters, citing Fars news agency.

But US National Security Adviser John Bolton has said Washington was still willing to talk to Iran.

“All that Iran needs to do is to walk through that open door,” he said.

The new sanctions will deny Iranian leadership’s access to financial resources, blocking from using the US financial system or accessing any assets in the US, White House said.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin revealed on Monday that the new order will freeze billions of additional dollars in Iranian assets.

He also said Trump had instructed him to designate Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif “later this week”.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi tweeted on Tuesday that Trump’s action means the permanent closure of the path of diplomacy, and the US is destroying all the established international mechanisms for maintaining the world peace and security.

Majid Takht Ravanchi, Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations, said on Monday that the new sanctions serve “to reflect Washington’s disrespect for the international law”.

Zou Zhiqiang, a researcher at the Middle East Studies Institute of Shanghai International Studies University, said the US decision is not wise and will make the tension even more difficult to solve.

He called the new sanctions retaliatory actions in response to Iran’s recent actions, including shooting down a US drone.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps said last week it had shot down a US unmanned drone. Teheran insisted the shoot happened when the drone entered Iran’s airspace near the Mobarak Mountain region in southern coastal Hormozgan Province. But the US said it had been flying over international waters.

“The US wants to fight back but also has fear of losing the control of the situation, so it chose to impose more sanctions,” he said. “But, meanwhile, the space and ways of adding new sanctions is not enough.”

Zou said the sanctions against Khamenei are more symbolic and show the tough stance of the US, but the actual effect is limited.

However, he said the sanctions aimed directly at Iranian supreme leader aggravated the hostility of both sides, and will undoubtedly arouse greater reaction from Iran.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


China Daily
About the Author: China Daily covers domestic and world news through nine print editions and digital media worldwide.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

Trump again cites questionable numbers related to Korea trade deal

Trump has used the trade deal to bolster his credentials back home. US President Donald Trump again cited questionable numbers on Tuesday as he touted his administration’s renegotiated free trade agreement with South Korea. Trump told the Economic Club of New York that the revised FTA, which took effect early this year, doubled the number of American cars that can be sold in South Korea under US standards and extended American tariffs on Korean pickup trucks by another 20 years to 2041. He then took a swipe at the previous administration of Barack Obama, which negotiated the original agreement. “The deal from the previous admini


By The Korea Herald
November 13, 2019

Diplomacy

Uncertainty persists on US – China trade deal

This despite Trump’s comments that US and China close to trade deal. US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (Nov 12) that the United States and China are close to a trade deal, but made clear that the prospect of tariffs was still on the table, with a warning that the US would raise tariffs on China if no trade deal was reached. His speech at the Economic Club of New York was closely watched by Wall Street but offered no new details on any signing of a much-touted “Phase One” preliminary trade deal with China. China, said President Trump, was dying to make a deal with their “supply chains cracking very badly” almost two years into the trade war. “We’re the ones deciding whether or not we want t


By The Straits Times
November 13, 2019

Diplomacy

India should have signed up for RCEP

India has decided to put a halt on its joining the largest planned free trade area. Had India not pulled out at the last minute from signing the deal during the 3rd summit of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) in Bangkok on November 4, the RCEP would have been the largest free trade area in the world so far—comprising of 16 Asia Pacific countries that house 3.4 billion people, and constituting one-third of the global gross domestic product (GDP) and 40 percent of global trade. Ten member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) along with Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea fo


By The Kathmandu Post
November 13, 2019

Diplomacy

Myanmar sued for genocide

On behalf of OIC, Gambia files the case at Int’l Court of Justice seeking orders to stop atrocities on Rohingyas immediately.  The Gambia has filed a case at the United Nations’ top court, accusing Myanmar of committing genocide against its Rohingya Muslim minority, more than two years after some 750,000 Rohingyas fled a military crackdown in the Rakhine State. “We have just submitted our application to the ICJ under the Genocide Convention,” Gambian Justice Minister Abubacarr Tambadou said at a news conference yesterday in The Hague, where the court is based. “The aim is to get Myanmar to account for its action against its own people: the Rohingya. It is a shame for our generation that we do nothing while genocide is unfolding right under our own eyes,” he said. The International Court of Justice (ICJ), also known as the World Court, is the U


By Daily Star
November 12, 2019

Diplomacy

S. Korea open to settling spat with Japan over intel-sharing pact if relations improve

Intelligence sharing has been suspended since an economic spat between the two countries erupted several months ago. President Moon Jae-in’s top security adviser reaffirmed Sunday that South Korea’s bilateral military intelligence-sharing pact with Japan could be renewed, as the expiration date draws near. Chung Eui-yong, chief of Cheong Wa Dae’s National Security Office, laid the blame on Japan for the strained relations, which have sunk to their lowest point in decades. “The government is willing to rethink an extension of the GSOMIA if South Korea-Japan relations normalize,” he said during a press briefing on Sunday, referring to the


By The Korea Herald
November 11, 2019

Diplomacy

US slams Myanmar over inaction

Myanmar has done little for the repatriation of Rohingyas. The US has condemned Myanmar’s inaction in creating conditions conducive to  a voluntary, safe and dignified return of the Rohingyas. In a statement following a visit by two top US officials to Bangladesh between November 5-7, the country also underscored that it would continue its efforts to bring an end to the refugee crisis. USAID Deputy Administrator Bonnie Glick and Acting Assistant Secretary of State Alice G Wells travelled here to promote expanded US-Bangladesh bilateral relations, boost commercial and security ties, and address the ongoing Rohingya crisis, according to a statement released by the US embassy in Dhaka. During their time in Bangladesh, the duo visited Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar, home to some one million Rohingyas, including some 750,000 who fled a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar since August 2017.


By Daily Star
November 8, 2019