See More on Facebook

Diplomacy, Politics

China strongly condemns Hong Kong protests

China says LegCo storming a ‘blatant challenge’.


Written by

Updated: July 3, 2019

China on Tuesday (July 2) condemned “extremists” who stormed Hong Kong’s Parliament building, calling their act a “blatant challenge to the one-country-two-systems” model that governs the city.

In its strongest response yet, the central government issued a statement expressing “resolute support” for the Hong Kong government and the police for handling Monday night’s dramatic protest, and their criminal investigation of the demonstrators.

A spokesman for the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office said July 1 was meant to be a celebratory day to commemorate the return of Hong Kong to China.

“This serious illegal act tramples on the rule of law in Hong Kong, undermines Hong Kong’s social order and undermines the fundamental interests of Hong Kong. It is a blatant challenge to the ‘one country, two systems’ bottom line.”

Beijing has so far been restrained in its response to the mass protests in Hong Kong over a controversial extradition Bill proposed by Chief Executive Carrie Lam’s administration.

Opponents saw it as yet another attempt by China to tighten its grip on the city and control dissent as the law would potentially allow Beijing to grab suspects in Hong Kong to face the law on the mainland.
More than a million people have taken to the streets to oppose the law, which has forced Mrs Lam to apologise and suspend it.

On Monday night, things took an ugly turn when hundreds of protesters in helmets and masks barged into and took over the Legislative Council building. The police returned at midnight and reclaimed the premises after firing tear gas to disperse the crowd.

China had earlier blamed “foreign forces” for the mass street protests. On Monday, it also hit out at Hong Kong’s former colonial ruler Britain after its foreign secretary spoke up for the city’s freedoms.

While Chinese censors have been scrubbing mention and images of the protests on the mainland for weeks now, state media let loose after the turn of events on Monday night, producing strongly-worded editorials condemning the violence.

State-run TV news channels also reported Mrs Lam’s 4am press conference in which she vowed to take action.

Nationalistic tabloid Global Times called for “zero tolerance” in an editorial on Tuesday, saying it was “the only remedy for such destructive behaviour”.

“Out of blind arrogance and rage, protesters showed a complete disregard for law and order,” said the editorial.

Chinese netizens responding to the news reports have called for tough justice.

“Investigate the violations to the end, never tolerate!” said one on Chinese blogging site, Weibo.

“It is a group of low-level types taking the opportunity to make trouble. This large-scale protest has devolved into a riot. These people don’t care, they just want to take the opportunity to vent, or even rob,” said another.

But some questioned the “one country, two systems” policy.

One netizen said: “There’s definitely a problem with the policies towards Taiwan and Hong Kong. Why does the central government think that as long as it gives enough benefits and special rights, the people will be loyal to you?”

Said another netizen: “One country, two systems is too lax, and this is the result. If Hong Kong wants to return to normal, it should start with decolonisation and change the name of Victoria Harbour to Oriental Pearl Harbour.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy, Politics

China’s coronavirus fight remains challenging

 Key Party meeting calls for full vigilance in control, prevention tasks to avoid risks. The novel coronavirus epidemic in Hubei province is still complicated and challenging, a key Party meeting concluded on Wednesday as it drew attention to the risks of the epidemic rebounding in other areas. Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, presided over the meeting of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee in which members listened to a report by the leading group of the CPC Central Committee on coping with the epidemic outbreak and discussed key related tasks. At the meeting, Xi and other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee donate


By China Daily
February 27, 2020

Diplomacy, Politics

UN chief hails China’s efforts to contain outbreak

Official urges all countries to ‘do everything to be prepared’ to contain the epidemic. United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday praised China’s contribution to the global fight against the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak, noting that the Chinese people are making efforts for all of humanity. The UN chief expressed his gratitude to all of the people in China who are sacrificing many aspects of their normal lives to prevent the virus from further spreading, after discussing the outbreak with World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in Geneva. Guterres said the decline in the number of new cases in China since the beginning of February is a very good sign, and he expressed the hope that this trend


By China Daily
February 26, 2020

Diplomacy, Politics

WHO calls China’s anti-virus effort ‘aggressive, agile’

Control measures taken by the country offered experience in improving the global response to the disease. While the substantial recent slowdown in the spread of novel coronavirus in China is real, and it is now reasonable to restore work activities step by step, health experts warned that risks abound of the virus flaring up again and they cautioned against complacency, the WHO-China Joint Mission on COVID-19 said at a news conference after its one-week field investigations in China. “Ambitious, agile and aggressive” control measures taken by China to control the novel coronavirus pneumonia epidemic, bolstered by nationwide solidarity and advanced scientific research, have altered the curve of the outbreak for the better, averted a large number of potentia


By China Daily
February 25, 2020

Diplomacy, Politics

Map shows latest tally of Covid-19 cases in Taiwan, Taipei tops list

 After Taiwan reported its first confirmed cases, health authorities finally released on Monday the latest tally of Covid-19 cases in each administrative region, with Taipei being the highest.  More than one month after Taiwan reported its first confirmed cases, health authorities finally released on Monday the latest tally of COVID-19 cases in each administrative region, with Taipei being the highest. An interactive map on the website of Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (CDC) shows the cities and counties where the country’s 28 coronavirus patients currently reside. Marked in red, the capital city has listed sev


By Asia News Network
February 24, 2020

Diplomacy, Politics

Asean, China enhance cooperation in response to Covid-19

The Asean Coordinating Council (ACC) and the Asean-China Foreign Ministers met on Thursday in Laos to discuss to how to respond to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19). The ACC’s special meeting, initiated by Vietnam as Chair of ASEAN, was attended by the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN member countries and the ASEAN Secretary-General. Chairing the meeting, Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh said the event aimed to implement the ASEAN Chair’s Statement released on February 14 on the bloc’s collective response to COVID-19. Minh said that in the face of the epidemic, ASEAN needed to promote its cohesive and responsive spirit, and intensify co-operation within the bloc and between the bloc and its partners to respond to ch


By Viet Nam News
February 21, 2020

Diplomacy, Politics

EDITORIAL: China’s foreign minister to attend special meeting with Asean on virus

China’s State Councillor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi will attend a special Asean-China foreign ministers’ meeting in Laos this week to discuss the coronavirus outbreak. China’s State Councillor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi will attend a special Asean-China foreign ministers’ meeting in Laos this week to discuss the coronavirus outbreak, which has battered manufacturing and tourism across the region and led to an array of travel restrictions. Mr Wang will co-chair the meeting with Foreign Secretary Teodoro Lopez Locsin from the Philippines, which is the Asean-China country coordinator, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang announced yesterday. The event on Thursday in Vientiane will be attended by other foreign ministers


By The Straits Times
February 20, 2020