See More on Facebook

Current affairs, News

Dozens die in suspected arson at animation studio in Kyoto

The perpetrator has been arrested.


Written by

Updated: July 19, 2019

More than two dozen people died when a fire, possibly caused by arson, broke out at a studio managed by animation production company Kyoto Animation Co. in Fushimi Ward, Kyoto, on Thursday morning.

The Kyoto city fire department initially confirmed that one person had died, but dozens were later found in cardiac arrest inside the three-story building. The Kyoto Prefectural Police later confirmed that 25 people had died.

According to the fire department, a nearby resident made an emergency call at about 10:35 a.m., saying they had heard the sound of an explosion.

Officials of the prefectural police rushed to the studio and found a man, 41, on a road near the studio. The man told them, “I sprinkled liquid on the first floor and set it on fire.”

Police said the man was injured and was receiving treatment at a hospital. Before the fire broke out, the man allegedly entered the building while screaming “Die!”

According to police, a knife was found in connection with the incident. Police said they would question the man on suspicion of arson.

According to the Kyoto Animation website, the company was established in 1981 and its head office is located in Uji, Kyoto Prefecture. The studio has produced many popular TV anime works that have subsequently been adapted as animated films for theatrical release.

Among these is “K-ON!” which depicts the members of a girls’ high school pop band. The company also produced “Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu” (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya).

The studio has produced a wide range of works from fantasies to mysteries. The studio is nicknamed Kyo-Ani and has many enthusiastic fans.

The company has about 150 employees, according to a private credit research company and other sources.Speech



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Japan News
About the Author: The Japan News is published by The Yomiuri Shimbun, which boasts the largest circulation in the world.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs, News

Hong Kong adds another dimension to US-China trade war

Hong Kong’s has become another consideration for Xi and Trump in their ongoing trade dispute. The United States and China have been embroiled in a trade war for almost two years with reciprocal tariffs and fiery rhetoric coming from both sides. Both economies have suffered and the world’s two largest economies both face the looming threat of recession. China, in addition to a tenuous economic situation is also facing more woes in Hong Kong, a Chinese territory that is self-governed. Protesters have taken to the streets in the island-territory after a proposed extradition law was publicly opposed. The protests have evolved beyond the initial grievances to long-held anxieties over the economy, living space and, ultimately, rule by Beijing. As the pro-democracy protests gather steam and threaten to become more widespread and violent, the United States has involved itself and ad


By Cod Satrusayang
August 16, 2019

Current affairs, News

China, the United States and the story of agriculture

China says the US responsible for its farmers’ woes. Editor’s Note: Last week the Commerce Ministry said Chinese enterprises have halted the purchase of US agricultural products following Washington’s threat to impose 10 percent tariffs on another $300 billion of Chinese goods. Two experts share their views on the issue with China Daily’s Yao Yuxin. Excerpts follow: Declining exports to hit US farmers The Chinese enterprises’ decision to suspend the purchase of US agricultural products, mainly soybean, dairy products, sorghum and pork, will deal a fresh blow to farmers and traders in the United States. The escalating trade conflict between the world’s two largest economies has slashed US exports of farm produce to China, which used to be the largest importer of US soybean. China imported $9.1 billion worth of US farm produce last year, down fr


By China Daily
August 16, 2019

Current affairs, News

Anti-Abe rallies to sweep Seoul on Liberation Day

The two countries have been at loggerhead over trade issues for weeks. Rallies denouncing the Shinzo Abe administration for Tokyo’s economic retaliation against Seoul are set to take place Thursday on Liberation Day, along with events reflecting on the 74th anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japan’s colonial rule. A movement for joint action to resolve the wartime forced labor and other historical issues with Japan — set up by some 10 civic groups, including Movement for One Korea and the Center for Historical Truth and Justice — will begin a rally at 11 a.m. on Thursday at Seoul Plaza. Civic groups that have sought to resolve the forced labor issue in Japan will also participate in the rally. Koreans subjected to forced labor overseas by Japan during the colonial period will speak about their hardships, and ask for support to resolve the issue. According to organizer


By The Korea Herald
August 15, 2019

Current affairs, News

Family confirms body found is Nora Anne’s

The child was feared to be kidnapped from her resort hotel. The family of Nora Anne Quoirin has confirmed that the body found is that of the missing Irish teenager, according to the Negri Sembilan police chief. Mohamad Mat Yusop, who was at the Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital, said the family was brought in to identify the body and had confirmed that it was Nora Anne, who went missing from a resort on Aug 4. A post-mortem will be done on Wednesday morning (Aug 14). A senior pathologist from Kuala Lumpur will be performing the post-mortem. Earlier, a group of trekkers found Nora Anne’s naked body in a stream some 2.5km from the resort she was staying with her family at 1.57pm Tuesday (Aug 13). The remains were found near Gunung Berembun in Pantai Hills. Nora Anne, 15, had checked into the property with her parents, Sebastian Marie Philipe and Meabh Jaseprine Quoirin, and siblings


By The Star
August 14, 2019

Current affairs, News

Hong Kong suspends all departing flights for 2nd day

Plans to reopen the airport were disrupted by sit-in protests. The Hong Kong International Airport on Tuesday (Aug 13) suspended all departing flights when anti-government protesters returned to occupy the arrival and departure halls after a similar sit-in protest the day before paralysed operations. Chanting “an eye for an eye” and “restore Hong Kong”, an estimated 1,500 protesters resumed their sit-in protest on Tuesday afternoon, resulting in the suspension of the flights. “All passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible. Affected passengers please contact their respective airlines for flight arrangement,” according to an airport notice. Protesters cheered among crestfallen travellers when the suspension announcement was broadcast over the PA system at the airport at around 5.30pm local time. Hong Kong’s bro


By The Straits Times
August 14, 2019

Current affairs, News

Hong Kong protests shut down airport in biggest disruption yet

Flights could resume on Tuesday. Hong Kong was forced to shut down its airport on Monday (Aug 12), grounding around 200 flights and affecting many others worldwide, after thousands of protesters swarmed the main terminal building in the biggest disruption yet to the city’s economy since demonstrations escalated in June. The airport authorities said flights could resume early Tuesday (Aug 13) depending on recovery operations after protester numbers dwindled in the evening. They also urged passengers to check that their flights were confirmed before heading to the airport. But protest organisers have vowed to hold a large-scale “eye for an eye” sit-in at the airport this afternoon to protest against the escalation of force by police following another weekend of violent demonstrations across Hong Kong. This would be the fifth continuous day that protesters have occupied


By The Straits Times
August 13, 2019