See More on Facebook

Diplomacy, Economics

S. Korea hints at cutting defense cooperation with Japan

Seoul has been backed into a corner and the Moon administration has little options available.


Written by

Updated: August 2, 2019

Seoul will be forced to reconsider its security cooperation with Tokyo, should Japan take further trade-curbing measures, South Korea’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Kang Kyung-wha said Thursday.

According to Seoul’s Foreign Ministry, Kang gave the warning during her meeting with her Japanese counterpart Taro Kono in Bangkok, on the sidelines of the ASEAN Regional Forum.

“If the decision (to remove South Korea from the trade whitelist) is made at tomorrow’s Cabinet meeting, we will have to draw up necessary response measures,” Kang said after the meeting. She is also reported to have stressed that the two sides should take time to resolve the issue diplomatically.

“(As) Japan’s trade restrictions were taken citing security reasons, we will have to review the South Korea-Japan security (cooperation) structure.”

Early last month, Japan removed South Korea from the list of countries that receive preferential treatment in importing a number of key industrial materials, inciting strong protests from Seoul. Despite the protests, including taking the matter to the World Trade Organization, Tokyo has dug in for a protracted trade spat, proposing removing South Korea from its whitelist of preferred trading partners.

The move, which is likely to be decided on Friday, will result in Japanese firms exporting to South Korea requiring government approval on individual shipments.

While Kang did not elaborate, the comments have been interpreted as referring to the possibility of ending the General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA) with Japan. The agreement, signed in 2016, is automatically renewed every year unless either side objects. Following Japan’s decision to impose trade restricting measures, ending the GSOMIA has been raised as a possible retaliatory measure.

According to an official with Seoul’s Foreign Ministry, Kang “strongly conveyed” the message that bilateral relations will deteriorate should Japan remove South Korea from the whitelist.

“(Kang) pointed out that unlike Japan’s claims, the trade restrictions are linked to the forced labor rulings, and therefore removal from the whitelist should not be proceeded with,” the official said, saying that the two sides had “significant” differences.

In removing preferential treatment for South Korea-bound exports of semiconductor-related materials last month, Japanese officials alleged that Seoul had failed to enforce international trade restrictions on North Korea.

Seoul, however, refuted the claims and interpreted the measures as being retribution for South Korea’s Supreme Court’s ruling siding with those forced into working for Japanese firms during Japan’s occupation of the peninsula.

The court ruled on a number of cases that the victims’ rights to claim compensations remain valid, and ordered liquidation of concerned Japanese firms’ assets.

In addition to Kang’s meeting with Kono, the South Korean National Assembly’s delegation to Tokyo looks likely to return empty handed.

Toshihiro Nikai, secretary-general of Japan’s ruling Liberal Democratic Party, canceled a meeting with South Korea’s 10-member National Assembly delegation in Tokyo in the last minute.

Toshihiro Nikai pulled out of the meeting on Thursday morning for the second time following the cancellation on Wednesday evening, citing an urgent party meeting.

“We were supposed to meet Secretary-General Toshihiro Nikai yesterday. It was postponed to this morning, but fell through. This is discourtesy and they broke the rules again,” said delegation member Rep. Kang Chang-il of the Democratic Party.

The meeting had been arranged in hopes of settling Japan’s latest trade restrictions.

Casting a dim outlook, Kang added “A visit by members of Japan’s Liberal Democratic Party has been canceled. Based on this, it seems like (Japan) has a strong desire to push forward (with excluding South Korea from the whitelist).”

Rep. Yoon Sang-hyun of the main opposition Liberty Korea Party, who is chairman of the National Assembly’s Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee and is also in Tokyo, interpreted the last-minute cancellation as a “fait accompli” that Japan will remove South Korea from its whitelist.

“Given the situation, it must have been uncomfortable for Secretary-General Toshihiro Nikai to meet us,” Yoon said.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy, Economics

Wuhan virus: China confirms human-to-human transmission, says medical workers infected

China’s health commission said on Monday (Jan 20)  that medical workers have been infected by the deadly coronavirus first discovered in the central city of Wuhan, confirming it can be transmitted between people. “The current situation is that it is no longer animal to human transmission, but human to human,” said Chinese pulmonologist Zhong Nanshan, who discovered the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (Sars) coronavirus in 2003 and now heads an expert panel under the health commission. He cited a case in Guangdong, where the patient had not been to Wuhan but caught the virus from a family member. Dr Zhong also said 14 medical personnel helping with coronavirus patients have been infected by one carrier. “The key to controlling the spread o


By The Straits Times
January 21, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Trump invites Asean leaders, including Duterte, to summit in US

Donald Trump, the US President has invited Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and 11 other leaders of the Asean to a summit to be held in Las Vegas in March. US President Donald Trump has invited Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and 11 other leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) to a summit to be held in Las Vegas in March. “The invitation was first conveyed during the Asean-US meeting at the Asean Summit and related summits in Bangkok last November. The United States then reiterated its invitation through a letter dated Jan. 9, 2020,”the Palace said. The Palace also released a copy of Trump’s letter to the Asean leaders dated Nov. 1, given during last year’s Asean summit in Bangkok. “I would also like


By Philippine Daily Inquirer
January 20, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

North Korea beefs up self-defense capabilities in military reorganization

The North have been making many changes ahead of talks. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un presided over a meeting of the top military decision-making body to accelerate the development of self-defense capabilities ahead of key events that will decide its national strategy, its state media reported Sunday. Discussions on ways to bolster its military capabilities through organizational restructuring and personnel reshuffle were highlighted during the third expanded meeting of the seventh central military commission of the ruling Workers’ Party. Details on what measures were discussed were not disclosed. “At the meeting, Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un


By The Korea Herald
December 23, 2019

Diplomacy, Economics

Modi defends citizenship decision

PM Modi says it has nothing to do with Indian Muslims. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, that unity in diversity is integral to India while addressing ‘Aabhar Rally’ at Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan today to kick start Bharatiya Janata Party’s Delhi Assembly Elections campaign slated for early next year, amid protests in Delhi and all over the country against the contentious Citizenship Act and the National Register of Citizenship(NRC). Modi raised slogan of ‘vividhta me ekta, Bharat ki visheshta’ (Unity in diversity is India’s speciality). PM Modi while giving his party and government’s view on CAA and NRC said, “Muslims being misled, I have always ensured that documents will never come in way of development schemes and their beneficiaries.” Citizenship law and NRC have nothing to do with Indian Muslims or with Indian citizens, he clarified. “We have never asked


By The Statesman
December 23, 2019

Diplomacy, Economics

Rallies rage on in India over citizenship law

Thousands of students flood streets of Delhi; Assam state sees five protesters shot dead. Thousands of university students flooded the streets of India’s capital yesterday, while a southern state government led a march and demonstrators held a silent protest in the north-east, to protest against a new law giving citizenship to non-Muslims who entered India illegally to flee religious persecution in several neighbouring countries. The protests in New Delhi followed a night of violent clashes between the police and demonstrators at Jamia Millia Islamia University. People who student organisers said were not students set three buses on fire and the police stormed the university library, firing tear gas at students crouched under desks. Members of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party said opposition parties were using th


By The Straits Times
December 17, 2019

Diplomacy, Economics

China-US trade deal bullish news for both countries, rest of world

From Chinese state media. State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Saturday that the China-US deal on the text of a phase-one economic and trade agreement serves as bullish news for both countries and the rest of the world. Speaking at a joint press conference with Slovenian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Miro Cerar, Wang said China has, as always, been opposed to settling economic and trade disputes by imposing tariffs as there is no winner in a trade war. China has also rejected the use of unilateral pressure as it violates the rules of the World Trade Organization (WTO), said Wang. He pointed out that following rounds of back-and-forth negotiations, China and the United States have agreed on the wording of a phase-one economic and trade agreement, and the US side has promised to phase out additional tariffs on Chinese products. The agreement demonstrates the spirit


By China Daily
December 16, 2019