See More on Facebook

Diplomacy, Politics

Moon bogged down by multiple crises

S Korean president faces emboldened North Korea, unpredictable US leader and tricky situation with Japan.


Written by

Updated: August 13, 2019

Just over two years into his five-year term, President Moon Jae-in is facing the biggest crisis of his term yet, pressed on all fronts due to the weak economy, domestic politics, ties with North Korea and other diplomatic concerns.

Japan, history and trade

Topping the long list of issues which Moon faces is the escalating tension with Japan. Since he took office, bilateral relations with Tokyo have gradually deteriorated, culminating in its recent trade restrictions.

In July, Japan applied additional restrictions on exporting key semiconductor-related materials to South Korea, and earlier this month removed the country from its whitelist of trusted trade partners that receive preferential treatment in importing more than 1,000 items.

Although Tokyo has cited a number of different reasons, Seoul has taken them to reflect retaliation for the Supreme Court’s decision regarding victims of forced labor, and the ruling Democratic Party has branded its measures as “economic invasion.”

South Korea’s top court sided with those forced to work for Japanese firms during Japan’s colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula, but Tokyo claims that the matter was settled through the Treaty on Basic Relations signed in 1965.

With the reaction of both sides intricately linked to domestic politics, experts say that the situation is likely to linger for some more time.

“If our government backs off, there will be a significant political impact. The (Shinzo) Abe government had hoped to use South Korea to foster its conservative base to push for a constitutional revision, so if Japan backs off now, Abe will face political difficulties,” said National Korea Diplomatic Academy professor Kim Hyun-wook.

Japan’s moves have been widely interpreted as being part of Abe’s plans to revise his country’s pacifist constitution.

However, Kim said that Japan is likely to go slow on its plans due to the domestic economic conditions.

“Regardless, looking at the situation now, the (Seoul-Tokyo) face-off will continue,” Kim said.

Kim Jong-un and Trump

Even inter-Korean relations, one aspect that Moon appeared to outshine his predecessors, have soured in recent weeks.

Since May, North Korea has conducted a series of short-range projectile weapons tests, including those for newly developed ballistic missiles.

US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable approach does not appear to have helped matters.

Rather than condemn the tests as serious provocations, as would be expected of a US leader, Trump effectively gave tacit consent, downplaying their significance by referring to them as “very small,” and saying that the weapons are possessed by “almost every country.”

His comments appear to have emboldened Pyongyang.

In a statement released on Sunday, Kwon Jong-kun, director-general of the Department of American Affairs at the North Korean Foreign Ministry, claimed that “the US president has effectively recognized our right to self-defense,” referring to Trump’s comments.

In the statement, Kwon ridiculed Seoul, comparing Cheong Wa Dae to a “scared dog” and referring to Minister of National Defense Jeong Kyeong-doo as “laughable.”

The statement also clearly excluded Seoul from any dialogue involving North Korea, saying all denuclearization talks that take place in the future are “strictly between North Korea and US.”

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un himself has also been quoted as saying that the weapons tests were a warning to the South.

Moon is also facing increased pressure from Trump in the defense cost-sharing negotiations.

Trump has claimed that Seoul has agreed to further raise its share, even as South Korean authorities claim the negotiations have not yet begun. He went further, saying that it is easier to get $1 billion from South Korea than it was to collect rent from his New York properties.

The US president had used similar tactics ahead of renegotiating the Korea-US Free Trade Agreement, announcing on Twitter that Seoul and Washington are negotiating a “new deal” after his first summit with Moon in June 2017. Seoul had also refuted Trump’s comment at the time, but talks to modify the pact soon followed.

According to Shin Yul, a political science professor at Myongji University, several factors are behind the current situation, one of which is the lack of experience of Moon’s diplomatic and national security aides.

“(The aides) don’t have a diplomatic background. So, they have difficulty in resolving bilateral problems,” Shin said. He went on to say that as Moon could have selected those with more experience, he cannot avoid blame for failing in that regard.

National security

North Korea’s weapons tests have raised concerns about gaps in the South’s defense capabilities, with some claiming that Seoul may lack the capabilities to shoot down the missile fired on Saturday.

While the North has only revealed that it is a newly developed weapon, some experts have raised the possibility that the projectile fired on Saturday may be a type of cluster bomb.

The South Korean government, however, refutes doubts about the country’s capabilities, citing the rapid increase in the defense budget since Moon took office.

“(The South) is continuously strengthening its defense capabilities in response to the changing threats,” a high-level Cheong Wa Dae official said on condition of anonymity, citing increases in defense budget as evidence.

According to the official, the defense budget increased at an annual average rate of 8.2 percent under Moon, compared to 4.1 percent and 5.2 percent during the Park Geun-hye and Lee Myung-bak administrations, respectively.

“Of the defense budget, 32.9 percent is for improving defense capabilities, it is the highest since the Defense Acquisition Program Administration was established in 2006,” the official said, adding that Moon has stressed the importance of “peace through strength” on numerous occasions.

In addition to North Korea, China and Russia have also probed the boundaries of Seoul’s defenses, sending warplanes into South Korea’s air defense identification zone and into its sovereign airspace.

According to Shin, the national security issues and other concerns with Japan, to some extent, are due to the South Korea-US alliance.

“The basis (of the issues) is the South Korea-US alliance. China and Russia are looking to alter it. North Korea ridiculing (the South) and Russia’s interest comes from (cracks) in the alliance,” Shin said.

“A party that has the upper hand ridicules its opponents. But (South Korea) is not responding (to North Korean threats) for the sake of denuclearization. If we let things be, it will get worse.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Korea Herald
About the Author: The Korea Herald is the nation’s largest English-language daily and the country’s sole member of the Asia News Network.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy, Politics

Trump urges passage of defense bill with provision against troop drawdown in S. Korea

Trump has previously asked Korea to pay its fair share to keep US troops on the peninsula. US President Donald Trump on Wednesday urged Congress to pass a defense bill containing a provision restricting the drawdown of American troops in South Korea. On Monday, the House and Senate Armed Services Committees agreed on the final version of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020, which authorizes funding for the Department of Defense. According to the accompanying conference report, the new bill restricts the use of funds for removing troops from South Korea, an issue that has drawn intense scrutiny amid contentious cost-sharing negotiations between Seoul and Washington.


By The Korea Herald
December 12, 2019

Diplomacy, Politics

Aung San Suu Kyi denies genocidal intent on Rohingya

She urges world court to let Myanmar justice system work. Denying that Myanmar had genocidal intent in its treatment of the Rohingya people, its de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Wednesday (Dec 11) urged the International Court of Justice in The Hague to let her country’s justice system run its course. “Can there be genocidal intent on the part of a state that actively investigates, prosecutes and punishes soldiers and officers who are accused of wrongdoing?” she asked at the world court, while presenting her opening statement on the second day of public hearings related to Gambia’s lawsuit alleging that Myanmar had breached the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. Carefully avoiding the word “Rohingya”, Ms Suu Kyi said Gambia has given “an incomplete and misleading factual picture”. She referred in her half-


By The Straits Times
December 12, 2019

Diplomacy, Politics

Report: US officials lied about Afghanistan

Civilian, military officials misled public for nearly two decades about status of war, Washington Post review of documents finds. For nearly two decades, senior US civilian and military officials didn’t tell the truth about the war in Afghanistan, The Washington Post reported on Monday after reviewing more than 2,000 pages of government documents. The officials made pronouncements they knew to be false and hid evidence that the war had become unwinnable, the newspaper said interviews with those officials show. John Sopko, the head of the federal agency that conducted the interviews, acknowledged to the Post that the documents show “the American people have constantly been lied to”. The newspaper said that two major claims in the documents are that US officials manipulated statistics to suggest to the American public that the war was being won and that successive


By China Daily
December 11, 2019

Diplomacy, Politics

Power transition after Apec summit

Mahathir open to stepping down after APEC summit. Dr Mahathir Mohamad, the world’s oldest prime minister, has promised to hand over power to anointed successor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim in spite of new sexual assault allegations against him. Dr Mahathir, 94, said he would not hand over before a summit of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) countries that Malaysia is to host in November 2020, but could be ready after that. “I made a promise to hand over and I will, accepting that I thought that a change immediately before the Apec summit would be disruptive. “As far as I’m concerned, I’m stepping down and I’m handing the baton to him (Anwar). If people don’t want him, that is their business, but I will do my part of the promise… irrespective of whatever allegation. I made my promise, I keep my promise, ” he said in an interview w


By The Star
December 11, 2019

Diplomacy, Politics

Pompeo says US is hopeful N. Korea will refrain from nuclear, long-range missile tests

Both sides are hopeful of continued talks. The United States is hopeful North Korea will continue to refrain from nuclear tests and long-range missile tests, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday, after Pyongyang said it had conducted a “very important” test over the weekend. North Korea said the test occurred at its Dongchang-ri satellite launch site on Saturday, raising tensions ahead of a year-end deadline North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has imposed for the US to show flexibility in their negotiations on dismantling Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program. “Chairman Kim personally made the commitment to denuclearize, said there wouldn’t be long-range missile tests, nuclear tests,” Pompeo said at a joint press conference with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov at the State Department.


By The Korea Herald
December 11, 2019

Diplomacy, Politics

Arguments strong enough to convince judges: expert

Myanmar at The Hague for genocide. The arguments presented by the Gambia’s lawyers at the top UN court yesterday were extremely strong and should convince the judges to issue “provisional measures” against Myanmar to stop genocide against the Rohingyas, said a legal expert. If the International Court of Justice (ICJ) issues such an order, Myanmar will be under real pressure as it is a binding one, said the expert. “It was truly convincing the way the lawyers, who are very reputed in their fields, presented their arguments at the top UN court in the Hague,” Ahmed Ziauddin, a genocide researcher based in Brussels, told this correspondent yesterday. “They made it very clear that provisional measures were urgent to protect the Rohingyas, and such measures won’t affect Myanmar as a state.” The ICJ is not a criminal court that can issue an arrest order against any individual. But


By Daily Star
December 11, 2019