See More on Facebook

Politics

Nearly two million rally peacefully in Hong Kong

Government says while rally is generally peaceful, traffic disrupted.


Written by

Updated: August 19, 2019

Protesters gathered at the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Forces Hong Kong Building in Central, as well as the Central Government Complex next to it on Sunday night (Aug 18).

This followed an earlier peaceful march from Victoria Park in Causeway Bay to Chater Garden in Central despite a police ban. Some protesters, however, turned their laser pointers on the government offices.

Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters lingered on Harcourt Road, prompting police to issue a warning for them to disperse. The police said the protesters had “shot hard objects at the Central Government Complex with slingshots and aimed laser beams at police officers”, posing a safety threat.

Protesters there briefly surrounded a mainland Chinese man and questioned his identity after he was spotted trying to take photos.

The crowd had thinned by late Sunday night and traffic later resumed.

Traffic at the Cross-Harbour Tunnel was also disrupted by protesters while all MTR services resumed on Sunday night after earlier disruptions.

ORGANISER SAYS ANOTHER MARCH PLANNED ON AUG 31

Protesters who marched from Causeway Bay to Central on Sunday night did not not set up any road blocks, unlike in previous marches.

Mr Jimmy Sham, convenor of the Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF) which organised Sunday’s rally, said 1.7 million people attended the group’s event at Victoria Park. But police said 128,000 people joined the rally at its peak.

“Today has been peaceful, which is exactly what Carrie Lam asked for,” Mr Sham said, referring to Hong Kong’s Chief Executive.

“I also believe there won’t be clashes tonight. I trust in Hongkongers’ wisdom. Carrie Lam must respond to the five demands in order to show Hongkongers peaceful and rational expression can be heard, accepted and met,” he said.

“If she continues to turn a deaf ear, she is instigating more radical struggles,” he added.

In a statement, a government spokesman noted that while the rally was largely peaceful, there were inconveniences caused to the public with the disruption to traffic after protesters occupied key roads. The spokesman reiterated that it was most important to restore social order as soon as possible, adding that the government will “begin sincere dialogue with the public, mend social rifts and rebuild social harmony when everything has calmed down”.

He also said CHRF has applied for another march from Chater Garden to Beijing’s Liaison Office in the western part of Hong Kong island on Aug 31.

Mr Sham said the CHRF will lodge a judicial review against the police ban on the Sunday afternoon march.

For the first time, police banned the CHRF from holding a march – originally planned from Victoria Park to Chater Garden – and allowed it to organise only a static rally in the park that can accommodate some 100,000 people.

Earlier in the afternoon, the crowds, battered by heavy rain, had gone ahead with the march after gathering at Victoria Park in the city’s 11th consecutive weekend of demonstrations against a controversial extradition Bill.

Ms Michelle Wen, 23, a student at Hong Kong Education University, told The Straits Times: “We have typhoons in Hong Kong, and people still go to work. Some rain is not going to stop people from coming out to speak up for a cause they believe in.”

With Victoria Park packed to the gills, some protesters started marching towards Wan Chai and Admiralty, with many spilling onto major roads in Causeway Bay, including Hennessy Road, Yee Wo Road and Pennington Street, after leaving the park.

One group of protesters reached Admiralty, near the government headquarters and the legislature, while another group reached Chater Road in Central, according to local media. Protesters were told by CHRF to disperse from Chater Road.

The Front billed the gathering at Victoria Park on Sunday as a peaceful, rational and non-violent rally. It is the organiser of massive rallies seen in the past three months: the June 9 march that drew a crowd of a million people and the June 16 march that clocked two million participants – the largest since the city was handed back to the Chinese from the British in 1997.

By 2pm, the park was packed with people, mostly clad in black and some with young children in tow. The rally participants chanted, “Hong Kong yahn, gah yau” in Cantonese, or “Hong Kong people, keep it up”, as well as “Free Hong Kong, democracy now” in English.

Meanwhile, several bus routes were re-routed or suspended due to the crowds marching on the roads. Some trains would not stop at Tin Hau, Causeway Bay and Fortress Hill MTR stations as they became very crowded and special train services were deployed to help people leave Tin Hau station, the MTR Corporation said.

Among those who turned up for the rally was pro-democracy group Demosisto’s Isaac Cheng, 19, who was giving out flyers asking people to boycott classes when the new school term starts in September.

When asked if the massive number of arrests have impacted students’ determination to carry on protesting when the new school term starts, Mr Cheng told The Straits Times that there has been some impact as the frontline protesters have already been subject to violence by the riot police. But he believes this has little effect on the student protesters whom he said will press on.

“Under this kind of abnormal circumstance, we are no longer able to go back to school. We have to boycott classes and fight with the government till the end,” he added.

Student Parker Chan, 20, said he is afraid of being arrested, but still joined the protests as he finds the police unreasonable and that the government has failed to address their demands to fully withdraw the now-suspended extradition Bill, among other things.

“Those arrested can get charged with illegal assembly and rioting. These are very serious charges so people are afraid,” he told ST.

RADICAL PROTESTERS MULLING RISKS OF BEING ARRESTED

Observers said that after last Sunday’s arrests of protesters during clashes with the police, the more radical ones are now “really considering the overall risks for mounting either a Hong Kong-wide protest or to concentrate in one area”.

“The risks for both strategies would have been elevated because in the past, they believed that if they have enough manpower to spread around, they can wear down the police. This tactic has proven to have failed given last Sunday’s massive arrests,” associate professor Dixon Sing of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology told ST.

In an open letter to Hongkongers, the CHRF had said that Sunday’s assembly “continues the will of the two million people who marched on June 16 against brutality”.

It added: “Today is not an ending. The path of resistance is long, because, ultimately, only democratic universal suffrage can fundamentally turn around the current situation of unfettered violence from the regime.

“Aug 31 is the fifth anniversary of the National People’s Congress’s undemocratic and restrictive decision on universal suffrage in Hong Kong. We ask you all to commit to stand together, and to come out again on Aug 31!”

PEACEFUL PROTESTS

For the first weekend in almost three months, protests on Saturday were largely peaceful with no bloodshed or chaos and devoid of violent clashes on the streets between riot police and protesters.

Over the past two months, marches often started out peacefully but descended into violence, with protesters clashing with police who deploy tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.

On Saturday, thousands gathered in the Hung Hom district for a march amid a light drizzle where they walked from Hoi Sham Park to Whampoa in Kowloon to Whampoa MTR Station.

While most of the protesters who took part in the march had stopped at the approved end point at Whampoa MTR station, others deviated into other areas.

They headed towards To Kwa Wan where they threw eggs and spray-painted the walls of the workers’ club of the pro-Beijing Federation of Trade Unions (FTU). They said the FTU are the true rioters for their involvement in the 1967 leftist riots.

Other demonstrators continued on to Mongkok, where they surrounded the Mongkok Police Station, which had put up netting to prevent objects from getting tossed in.

PRO-GOVERNMENT RALLY

Earlier on Hong Kong Island, thousands gathered in a rally in Tamar Park in Admiralty in a show of support for Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam, her administration and the police.

The rally, billed as anti-violence, had many participants waving Chinese flags and singing the Chinese national anthem.

Organiser of the pro-government rally, Safeguard Hong Kong Alliance, pegged the turnout at 476,000 people. It added that the protesters have disrupted social order and the rule of law and are destroying Hong Kong.

In the morning, heavy showers did not stop thousands of teachers and students from showing up for a march that called for the Hong Kong government to address protesters’ demands.

Demonstrators gathered at Chater Garden in Central, just hours after a pro-independence rally at the same park the night before.

Protests began four months ago when the Hong Kong government mooted a controversial Bill – now suspended – that would allow the authorities to extradite people to countries it has no formal extradition agreements with, including mainland China.

The anti-extradition protests have since morphed into a broader movement seeking universal suffrage and an independent probe into police’s handling of the protests.

So far, the police have arrested 748 protesters since the June 9 mass rally against the Bill.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

Rohingyas in Voter List: EC staffers, fraud ring behind it

Electoral fraud sees Rohingya on voting list. A nexus of brokers and some dishonest staffers of the Election Commission’s Chattogram office provides forged national identity cards to Rohingyas, an EC investigation team has found. Three members of the syndicate were arrested on Monday. An EC laptop, used in the forgery, was recovered from their possession, EC Deputy Director (NID) Iqbal Hossain, head of the three-member team, told The Daily Star yesterday. The arrestees are Jainal Abedin, 35, office assistant of Double Mooring Election Office under the Chattogram EC office, Bijoy Das, 23, a driver, and his sister Sima Das alias Sumaiya Jahan, 26, said Mohammad Mohsin, officer-in-charge of Kotwali Police Station. Yesterday, Double Mooring Thana Election Officer Pallabi Chakma filed a case against five people, including the three, with the police station under the Digital Security Act, the OC said


By Daily Star
September 18, 2019

Politics

S.E. Asian manufacturing sees opportunity in U.S.-China row

By Shingo Sugime and Yoichiro Tanaka / Yomiuri Shimbun Correspondents. Southeast Asian countries are intensifying their efforts to attract companies planning to move production bases outside China, as the United States and China have become entrenched in tit-for-tat sanctions and retaliatory tariffs. To attract the needed outside investment, they are offering tax incentives and other benefits. ‘Thailand Plus’ “We see the U.S.-China trade frictions as an opportunity to expand our efforts to attract foreign companies,” Thai Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak told reporters after a Cabinet meeting on Sept. 10. On that day, the Thai government adopted what it calls the “Thailand Plus” package of preferential measures for companies that relocate factories and other facilities from China. A corporate tax deduction of up to 50 p


By The Japan News
September 18, 2019

Politics

President blames China for ‘suppressing Taiwan int’l space’

The Solomon Islands is the latest country to not recognise Taiwan. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) strongly condemned Solomon Islands’ decision to establish diplomatic relations with China in a major statement released on Monday. The president blamed China for using “financial and political pressure to suppress Taiwan’s international space” and called Beijing’s action “a threat,” but also a “brazen challenge and detriment to the international order.” Taiwan’s attitude towards its diplomatic allies has been one of sincere friendship, she said, stressing that Taiwan spares “no effort” and treats allies with “sincerity.” In the face of China’s alleged interference, however, she added that “we will not stand to be threatened, nor will we be subjected to ceaseless demands.” The president also stressed that Taiwan will not engage in “dollar diplomacy” with China


By ANN Members
September 17, 2019

Politics

Pakistan and India face common threats, climate change is the biggest one

Collective action may just be what is needed to secure the lives and livelihoods of future generations. Climate change is no longer limited to books or scientific papers; it is a reality knocking on our doors. Longer, sweltering summers bringing in record-breaking heat to South Asia are just one example. The harshest of conditions have yet to come, and the entire region is woefully unprepared to meet the challenges. While they may seem isolated, increasing instances of extreme weather are harbingers of a major climate shift for South Asia. Unlike transnational challenges like security and trade, climate change cannot be deterred by conventional methods or unilateral initiatives. Instead, synchronised common action is the viable way forward for sustainable progress to mitigate the impacts of climate change. Let’s look at some of the common environmental challenges facing Pakistan


By Dawn
September 17, 2019

Politics

Hong Kong police deploy water cannon, tear gas to disperse radical protesters

More protests erupted this week, the third month of continuous weekend protest. Hong Kong police fired water cannons and volleys of tear gas to break up protesters throwing petrol bombs and bricks near the Legislative Council (LegCo) building and central government offices on Sunday (Sept 15), the latest in weeks of sometimes-violent unrest. One water-cannon truck parked behind water-filled barriers surrounding the government headquarters complex caught fire after being hit by a petrol bomb, but the flames were quickly put out by police. After repeated warnings failed to disperse the protesters, police fired water cannons laced with blue dye as well as volleys of tear gas to break up the demonstrators. In other countries, dye is added to the water to help identify protesters later. Meanwhile, the LegCo Secretariat issued a red alert informing all persons to evacuate the LegCo Complex immediately.


By The Straits Times
September 16, 2019

Politics

Iran rejects US claim it was behind Saudi oil strikes, says ready for war

All sides in the Middle East have stepped up their rhetoric in recent days. Iran dismissed accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting global energy supplies and warned on Sunday that US bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles. Yemen’s Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5 per cent of global supply, but US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally. The drone strikes on plants in the heartland of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry, including the world’s biggest petroleum processing facility, were expected to send oil prices up $5-10 per barrel on Monday as tensions rise in the Middle East. Iran’s President Hass


By Dawn
September 16, 2019