See More on Facebook

Current affairs, News

Curbing Rohingya Crimes: New police unit on cards

The unit will patrol refugee camps for crimes being committed.


Written by

Updated: August 27, 2019

A brand new 800-member police battalion may soon be formed to deal with the rise in crimes committed by refugees from Myanmar in the 30 Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar.

It would be the second such special unit in district, as one had already been approved at the end of last year.

The new battalion, which is considered needed on an emergency basis, is just one of the suggestions submitted by the district police to the Police Headquarters in May. The others include setting up a temporary court in either Ukhia or Teknaf, forming three police stations and a number of police investigation centres, and installing closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras at different points in the camp, along with a security fence around the camps’ perimeter.

The measures are aimed at reducing the rising crime rates and prevent further untoward situations.

According to data from the district police, 76 cases were filed against Rohingyas in 2017. The number has already risen to 187 till August 25 of this year. Around 471 cases have been filed against 1,088 Rohingya since 2017.

SM Akteruzzaman, assistant inspector general (AIG), organisation and management of the Police Headquarters (PHQ), told The Daily Star yesterday that the proposal for another unit was pending approval from the home ministry. “But the file has started moving forward and we are hopeful that it will be approved soon.”

The AIG said they had proposed setting up two specialised units for Rohingya camps last year, but the ministry approved only one.

The special unit approved, Armed Police Battalion (APBn-14), boasts a force of 588 officers, including a superintendent of police (SP) as it’s commanding officer. It began working on December 27, said Sohel Rana, assistant inspector general of PHQ.

The unit replaced some 725 officials who were temporarily deployed in the area from different ABBn battalions. Some 225 policemen from the Cox’s Bazar district police are also working with the special unit to maintain law and order, according to officials.

Rakib Khan, acting commanding officer of APBn-14, told The Daily Star yesterday that they had officially started in December last year, but were yet to fully start their operational activities as they were still setting up their offices.

“Despite working for UN foreign missions, we do not have the experience in dealing with foreigners in our own country. Not only do we have to ensure their security, we also have to curb the crimes committed by them, which is a big challenge,” Rakib said.

A home ministry high official requesting anonymity said the approval of the new unit was taking time as the Rohingyas were not permanent residents of the country and were subject to repatriation.

“We have to think about the use of the battalion after the Rohingya repatriation is completed, as there is a financial cost involved in it,” the official added.

“The situation is still under control in camps, but we need to be cautious as it can deteriorate,” ABM Masud Hossain, superintendent of police (SP) of Cox’s Bazar told The Daily Star yesterday.

Masud said that police registered a monthly average of 18 to 20 cases against Rohingyas, whereas the number was 150 for the local population of 4.7 lakh. “But, the number of cases against Rohingyas is rising and untoward situations can take place in the future as around 11 lakh people are living there together,” he said.

Currently, there is one police officer for every 1,353 Rohingyas. The new battalion would bring the ratio down to 1:681. The United Nations standard is 1:400.

Interestingly, according to police data, the police to people ratio for all of Bangladesh is one police officer for every 750 persons.

SP Masud said the Rohingyas were involved in different types of crimes like murder, human trafficking and narcotics smuggling.

According to police intelligence some Rohingyas have formed different crime gangs like “Hit Point Group” and “Al Yeakin group”. While the number of reported crimes is already high, intelligence officials working in the camps say it could be the tip of the iceberg as many incidents go unreported.

Some among the refugees have attacked police, killed a local politician and have also murdered other Rohingyas over internal feuds, they said.

On Sunday night, Rahim Ullah, 25, was stabbed to death by another Rohingya over internal feud in Kutupalong camp, said Abul Munsur, officer-in-charge of Ukhia police station.

Two days earlier, Jubo league leader Omar Faruk, 30, was shot dead by a group of Rohingya miscreants. Three Rohingyas involved in the murder were killed in a gunfight with police, said SP Masud.

According to police database, around 33 Rohingyas were killed in gunfights with law enforcers so far.

MORE SECURITY, JOBS MULLED

The district police in a special report sent to PHQ on May this year said the Rohingyas were going to different places from camps using the hilly areas of the district.

Against this backdrop, the police recommended building security or barbed-wire fences enclosing the Rohingya camps.

According to the UN Refugee Agency’s emergency handbook on minimum standards and best practices in developing emergency response camps, the setting up of security fences depends on the circumstances involved.

The police report also mentioned installation of CCTV cameras in important places in the Rohingya camps.

In the special report, police also requested setting up small handicraft producing houses as most of the Rohingyas were unemployed, which could be a reason behind the increasing crime rate.

Presently, Bangladesh hosts some 11 lakh Rohingyas, of whom 743,000 came during the latest influx following the brutal military crackdown in Rakhine State beginning on August 25, 2017.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Daily Star
About the Author: The Daily Star is a leading English-language daily newspaper in Bangladesh.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs, News

Coronavirus: 2 new cases confirmed; 4 more, including private hospital doctor, discharged

 Two patients from the Grace Assembly of God cluster, cases 49 and 73, were also discharged.  Two new cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) were confirmed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Wednesday (Feb 26) and four others have recovered and were discharged. This brings the total number of cases here to 93, of which 62 have fully recovered. Case 59, the private hospital doctor, was among the four discharged. The 61-year-old Singaporean was confirmed to have the virus on Feb 13 and had been warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases. He is not linked to any of the five known clusters but is a non-medical contact of case 72, a 40-year-old man from China who holds a Singapore work pass. Case 56, a Banglad


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

Current affairs, News

Japan provides protective gear for use in battling coronavirus

 The government of Japan has given personal protective supplies to the Ministry of Health to help medical staff if they are required to care for people infected with the coronavirus. The items were handed over at the Ministry of Health on Tuesday by the Ambassador of Japan to Laos, Mr Takewaka Keizo, to Minister of Health Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong Syhavong. The supplies comprised 4,680 isolation gowns, 6,100 gloves, 6,000 N95 masks, 13,200 surgical masks, 27 goggles, and 240 bottles of alcohol hand rub. Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong thanked the government of Japan for its assistance, saying “On behalf of Laos, we would like to express our appreciation to the government of Japan for its continuing support to our country.” The ministry has been st


By Vientiane Times
February 27, 2020

Current affairs, News

Hong Kong govt records first deficit in 15 years amid economic slump

Budget includes US$1,200 handout to each resident aged 18 and above, low-interest loans for small firms and tax cuts. Slammed by a perfect storm of trade war, prolonged unrest and coronavirus outbreak, Hong Kong’s already frail economy is likely to remain in a slump in the year ahead, even as the government carves out a more than HK$120 billion (S$22 billion) stimulus package with a generous cash handout to aid industries and individuals. In his budget delivery yesterday, Financial Secretary Paul Chan expressed hope that once the Covid-19 outbreak blows over, the economy will bounce back. Pending approval from Parliament – or the Legislative Council – Mr Chan said he would disburse HK$10,000 (S$1,800) to each Hong Kong permanent reside


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

Current affairs, News

EDITORIAL: Final battle between Anwar and Dr Mahathir

The ongoing political crisis is seen as the ultimate battle between Anwar and Dr Mahathir as the 8th Prime Minister of Malaysia. The ongoing political crisis for the last few days is believed to end soon once the king decides after meeting all members of parliament. A total of 222 members of parliament have expressed their stand to the king. Voters would also figure out that the stand of the elected representatives picked by them during last elections. Voters witness political parties keep changing their stand. Each party is gauging the stand that would best fit its political interests. They are judged by voters based on the reasons cited to save the country. We need to have a new government to run the country and the current situation should not be


By Sin Chew Daily
February 27, 2020

Current affairs, News

Lao Airlines to suspend flights to South Korea

Laos’ national airline, the Lao Airlines State Enterprise, will suspend flights to the Republic of Korea beginning in March after a large number of passengers cancelled their bookings amid the coronavirus outbreak. Director of the airline’s Commercial Department, Mr Noudeng Chanthaphasouk, told Vientiane Times that a flight from Vientiane to Seoul did not depart on Tuesday because all the passengers cancelled their reservations. “We have very few passengers on the Vientiane to Seoul flight. We have to fly back to Vientiane empty because many Koreans have stopped travelling overseas since the outbreak of Covid-19 in China,” he added. “Meanwhile, we fly from Vientiane to Seoul once daily and have to bear the high cost of flying empty,


By Vientiane Times
February 26, 2020

Current affairs, News

Xi’s diplomacy bolsters epidemic fight

Phone talks, meetings with foreign leaders boost international confidence. China’s active, open and transparent co-operation with the World Health Organization and relevant countries in responding to the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak has demonstrated that it shoulders its responsibility as a major international player in helping the world curb the contagion, experts said. The outbreak has also given prominence to the value of President Xi Jinping’s vision on building a community with a shared future for mankind as the international community needs to work together to eliminate the threat of the disease in order to uphold global public health security, they said. Speaking on Sunday during a videoconference on coordinating epidemic control and


By China Daily
February 26, 2020