See More on Facebook


Hong Kong protesters trash MTR stations after paralysing transport to airport

Protests have intensified over the past weekend.

Written by

Updated: September 2, 2019

Protesters on Sunday (Sept 1) turned their attention to two metro stations, first in Tung Chung near the airport, and later at Sha Tin in the new territories, having earlier “stress tested” the aiport’s operations.

Local TV footage showed black-clad protesters destroying station facilities at the Tung Chung station. They smashed the glass panes of the customer service centre, ripped apart the station turnstiles, and broke the ticket machines in the station, which is located near Citygate Outlets, a mall popular with tourists. Before leaving, some also flooded the station’s concourse with a firefighting hose.

Demonstrators have directed their ire at the rail operator since it acquired a court injunction banning protests activities in its stations and trains. It follows criticism from Chinese state media who accused the MTR Corporation of being soft on protesters and providing special trains to help them leave protest sites.

Protesters had previously used the city’s hyper-efficient train system to travel between districts, allowing them to regroup in various districts, a physical manifestation of their “be water” philosophy.

The protesters also dismantled CCTV cameras in the station and damaged fire-fighting facilities, said police on Facebook.

“Some radical protesters blocked multiple roads in Tung Chung, set fire to barricades and a national flag,” the policed added.

Shortly after the chaos broke out at the station, announcements were made telling train commuters to leave the premises immediately, with an alarm ringing incessantly in the background. Among the commuters were families with young children.

The station was shut in the mid-afternoon and train services train services on the Airport Express and the Tung Chung lines – near parallel routes that link Lantau Island, where the airport is located, to the city centre – were suspended until past 10pm.

Protesters who were unable to leave on trains walked out of Tung Chung on a highway, took ferries, or packed buses leaving the area, even sitting on luggage racks.

Some later regrouped at Sha Tin station, where they also trashed the control centre and damaged turnstiles, before gathering in the adjacent New Town Mall – the site of a bloody confrontation between demonstrations and police some seven weeks ago – where they shouted protest slogans before dispersing.

News footage showed police waiting for passengers at the Central Ferry Pier in the city centre, where those arriving from Mui Wo or Discovery Bay – piers close to Tung Chung – had their bags searched.

Earlier in the afternoon, anti-government protesters tried to “stress test” the Hong Kong International Airport’s operations, despite a court order that bans moves that would disrupt airport operations.

The number of protesters swelled from the initial hundreds to thousands, who thronged Tung Chung after leaving the airport.

These come ahead of a planned two-day strike from Monday – the second such call after Aug 5, when protests were held in multiple districts and later turned violent and chaotic.

Rallies in Tamar Park in Admiralty on Monday and Tuesday have been given the go-ahead by the police, while the appeal board rejected an application for a rally in Tsim Sha Tsui on Monday that was due to coincide with the strike and class boycott.

From 1pm on Sunday, many demonstrators had heeded calls on social media to gather at bus stations near the airport.

At about 2pm, they started to drag water-filled barriers, tip over rubbish dumpsters and move luggage trolleys to block roads around the airport at Sky City Interchange and Chek Lap Kok South Road.

“They also hurled objects at police officers and Airport Authority staff. The protesters concerned are participating in an unauthorised assembly,” the police said in a statement on Sunday.

It added that as a court injunction order is in force, the protesters may be liable for “contempt of court”.

Videos circulating online showed that those who made it into the airport were playing games of “hide and seek” and “cat and mouse”, with officers hot on their heels while travellers and passers-by watched intently or filmed the chase.

By about 4pm, traffic towards the airport ground to a halt with long lines of vehicles stuck in the jam and drivers standing by the road. Television footage showed a man who had to catch his flight take his luggage out of the boot and walk to the airport instead.

Later, other travellers and airline crew were pictured rolling their luggage on the road to get to their flights.

Given a police warning that they would conduct dispersal operations soon, protesters started leaving the airport shortly before 4pm. Along the way, they built more barricades to slow the police and chanted “hak geng, wan ahn” or “corrupt cops, return the eye” and “five demands, not one less”.

Train services on Sunday to the airport were initially slowed deliberately upon request by the government and Airport Authority to control the traffic but the Airport Express services were later suspended in both directions.

The earlier slower train services to the airport came after a small number of protesters were seen entering the Airport Express’ Tsing Yi station to spray paint on CCTV cameras and vandalise card readers, broadcaster TVB reported.

Check-in services at Hong Kong MTR station and Kowloon MTR station were suspended, the train operator said on Twitter.

TV footage showed many passengers stuck at the airport after landing in Hong Kong, with dozens going on foot to get out the the area as protests paralysed traffic.

Meanwhile, a large group of protesters hurled numerous iron poles, bricks and rocks onto the Airport Express train track near the Airport Station, the police said. Some of the protesters even trespassed on the track and seriously obstructed train services.

Demonstrators aimed to choke travel routes to the airport on Sunday and possibly disrupt flights a day after pitched street battles between police and masked protesters that spread to more than 10 districts on Hong Kong island and in Kowloon, making this the 13th consecutive weekend of escalated and mostly violent protests since June 9.

The so-called “stress test” of the airport was conducted last weekend and failed to gain momentum. It came after the airport was shut three weeks ago and hundreds of flights had to be cancelled or delayed after protesters flooded the airport.

A check on the airport’s website on Sunday found that some flights, mostly linked to Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon and Air China, were cancelled.

Separately, some protesters gathered outside the British consulate on Sunday, to urge Britain to confirm that China had violated the Sino-British Joint Declaration by not granting democracy to Hong Kong, and for Britain to grant full citizenship to British National (Overseas) passport holders.

In a media briefing on Sunday evening, the police said 63 people, aged 13 to 36, were arrested at Prince Edward station last night. Fifty-four are men and nine women. The suspects face charges ranging from possession of weapons to illegal assembly.

The youngest, a 13-year-old, was found to have petrol bombs and lighters, which officers described as “very dangerous objects”.

On Saturday, a policeman opened fire twice with live rounds as a warning after he came under attack – the second such incident in a span of a week. The plainclothes officer was believed to have resorted to his service revolver after he was set upon by protesters in Causeway Bay and fired two shots into the sky, local media had reported.

The incident occurred late at night after hours of multiple street battles between demonstrators and the riot police who rolled out water-cannon vehicles and tear gas to disperse the crowd.

This came after police last Thursday rejected an application for a march to Beijing’s liaison office in Western District, citing safety reasons.

But thousands of demonstrators, young and old, ignored the ban on Saturday and took over key thoroughfares in Causeway Bay, Wan Chai, Admiralty and Central, paralysing traffic in the afternoon.

The demonstrations later spread to the Kowloon side and, at one point, officers stormed a train carriage at Prince Edward MTR station, hitting people inside with batons and firing pepper spray.

It was not clear if all the people in the train were protesters.

Angry crowds then gathered outside Prince Edward and nearby Mongkok stations, where police said they made arrests after protesters vandalised the customer service centre and damaged ticket machines.

At a media briefing in the wee hours of Sunday, senior superintendent Yolanda Yu said the police entered the station after the MTR Corporation called for help. The force was informed that protesters at the station were getting into arguments and fighting with a number of passengers, according to broadcaster RTHK.

She said that 40 people were arrested on suspicion of obstructing police officers, unlawful assembly and criminal damage.

Two train stations – Prince Edward and Mongkok – remained closed on Sunday for safety reasons.

More than 30 people were sent to the hospital after Saturday’s clashes, with more than half discharged as of 8am on Sunday.

Saturday marked the fifth anniversary of a decision by the standing committee of China’s legislature that ruled on Aug 31, 2014 that Hong Kong residents could elect their leader directly, but that the candidates would have to be approved by a nominating committee.

The decision triggered a 79-day long Yellow Umbrella movement that paralysed major streets in the financial district and other parts of the city.

The current anti-extradition protests that have now spanned five months, were sparked after the government mooted a controversial Bill – now suspended – that would allow the authorities to extradite people to jurisdictions which Hong Kong has no formal extradition agreements with, including mainland China.

But they have since morphed into a broader movement seeking five goals – universal suffrage, an independent inquiry into alleged police brutality, the release of all who have been arrested so far, the removal of June 12 protest as a “riot” and the complete withdrawal of the Bill.

Enjoyed this story? Share it.

About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia

Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.

By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here


Japan: Koizumi offers no concrete plan on coal

The new environment minister needs to offer better ways to tackle climate change.  During a ministerial meeting of the U.N. climate summit in Madrid on Wednesday, Shinjiro Koizumi, the Environment Minister did not express concrete steps for reducing coal-fired thermal power generation. Environment Minister Shinjiro Koizumi did not express concrete steps for reducing coal-fired thermal power generation, for which construction of new plants is currently underway in Japan, during a ministerial meeting of the U.N. climate summit in Madrid on Wednesday. “I am afraid I cannot share new development on our coal policy today,” Koizumi said at the ongoing 25th Conference of the Parties to the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate

By The Japan News
December 13, 2019


Power transition after Apec summit

Mahathir open to stepping down after APEC summit. Dr Mahathir Mohamad, the world’s oldest prime minister, has promised to hand over power to anointed successor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim in spite of new sexual assault allegations against him. Dr Mahathir, 94, said he would not hand over before a summit of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) countries that Malaysia is to host in November 2020, but could be ready after that. “I made a promise to hand over and I will, accepting that I thought that a change immediately before the Apec summit would be disruptive. “As far as I’m concerned, I’m stepping down and I’m handing the baton to him (Anwar). If people don’t want him, that is their business, but I will do my part of the promise… irrespective of whatever allegation. I made my promise, I keep my promise, ” he said in an interview w

By The Star
December 11, 2019


Communist Party of China calls for efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up

Political Bureau stresses importance of winning three critical battles in 2020. The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee called on Friday for solid efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up, amid tensions in the external environment, to ensure that the goal of building a moderately prosperous society in all respects will be attained next year. The general trend of China’s economy in maintaining stable and long-term positive operation remains unchanged, according to a statement released after the bureau’s meeting, presided over by Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee. China will keep its economic growth within a reasonable range in 2020, with more “forwarding-looking, targeted and effective” policies, the statement said. The nation will pursue a policy framework that allows macro policies to be stable, micro policies

By China Daily
December 9, 2019


India’s exit from 16-nation regional trade pact moves closer to reality

Japan intends to continue efforts to persuade India to remain in the RCEP. TOKYO (The Japan News/ANN) – The withdrawal of India from the negotiations for the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership free trade deal (RCEP) which have involved 16 countries including Japan, China, South Korea and members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), is seemingly coming closer to reality. Japan intends to continue efforts to persuade India to remain in the initial 16-country framework for the agreement of the regional trade talks. However, as there is still strong opposition to the RCEP within India, it remains to be seen whether the negotiations will go smoothly. At a press conference after a Cabinet meeting on Friday, Economy, Trade and

By The Japan News
December 9, 2019


Huawei asks US court to overturn ban

The company is suing the FCC, the latest in a series of legal tussles. The legal battle between Huawei Technologies Co and United States government intensified on Thursday. The Chinese tech heavyweight announced a legal challenge to the US Federal Communications Commission, seeking to overturn the latter’s order that bans telecom carriers from buying the company’s equipment via federal subsidies. The move is the latest push by the world’s largest telecom equipment maker to pursue fair competition and treatment amid a slate of restrictions from Washington. Analysts said the FCC ban would have very limited impact on Huawei’s financial performance, but labeling the company as a national security threat would cause far-reaching reputational harm. In a petition filed in the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on Thursday, Huawei asked the court to declare the FCC order un

By China Daily
December 6, 2019


Chinese FM to visit India this month for boundary talks

The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is expected to visit India later this month to hold boundary talks with National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, sources said on Wednesday. Wang, who is also a State Councillor, and Doval are the designated Special Representatives (SRs) of the two countries for the boundary talks. The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Besides holding boundary talks with the NSA, Wang, a trusted lieutenant of Chinese President Xi Jinping, will meet External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar. He will also call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

By The Statesman
December 5, 2019