See More on Facebook

Politics

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam says decision to stay on is her own

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said she would take the “difficult path” to remain in office to lead Hong Kong out of the current political crisis.


Written by

Updated: September 4, 2019

Chief Executive Carrie Lam on Tuesday (Sept 3) strongly denied contents of a leaked audio recording in which she said she would quit if she could, adding that the private conversation at a lunch was taken out of context.

The embattled leader told the media before the weekly Executive Council meeting that “as an individual, given the very difficult circumstances, maybe it was an easy choice to leave”. But she stressed that she has never handed in her resignation to Beijing nor even thought about it.

“I said on several occasions previously, and (this was) also reaffirmed by my colleagues in the Chief Executive’s Office, in response to media inquiry that throughout this period, from the beginning till now, I have never tendered a resignation to the Central People’s Government. I have not even contemplated to discuss a resignation to the Central People’s Government. The choice of not resigning is my own choice,” she said.

Mrs Lam added that she was and still is “very disappointed that my remarks in a totally private, exclusive session, which is a lunch actually, which clearly is subject to Chatham House rules, have been recorded and then passed to the media”.

On the claim that she was the one who leaked the taped audio, Mrs Lam flatly dismissed it, saying to further suggest or allege that she or the government has any role to play in this matter is “absolutely unfounded”.

Mrs Lam reiterated that she would take the “difficult path” to remain in office to lead Hong Kong out of the current political crisis.

Her comments came after Reuters on Monday night reported Mrs Lam as saying in an audio recording that she has caused “unforgivable havoc” by igniting the political crisis engulfing the city and would quit if she has a choice. The remarks were reportedly made last week to a group of business people.

The report said that Mrs Lam had told the group that she now has “very limited” room to resolve the crisis because the unrest has become a national security and sovereignty issue for China amid rising tensions with the United States.

The audio recording, now available online, had her saying: “If I have a choice, the first thing is to quit, having made a deep apology”.

Mrs Lam went on to suggest in the recording that Beijing had not yet reached a turning point or imposed a deadline for ending the crisis ahead of China’s 70th anniversary celebrations scheduled on Oct 1.

She also said China had “absolutely no plan” to deploy People’s Liberation Army troops to Hong Kong streets.

World leaders have been closely watching whether China will send in the military to quell the protests, as it did a generation ago in the bloody Tiananmen crackdown in Beijing.

Mrs Lam, Hong Kong’s top official, also made the point that the political room for the Chief Executive who has to serve two masters by Constitution – the central people’s government and the people of Hong Kong – is “very, very, very limited”.

The meeting was one of a number of closed-door sessions that Mrs Lam has carried out with people from all walks of life in Hong Kong.

The city has now entered the 13th straight week of escalated protests since June 9.

The unrest is sparked by Mrs Lam’s proposal in February to pass a Bill that would have Hong Kong extradite suspects to jurisdictions, including mainland China.

But a significant proportion of Hong Kongers do not trust the Chinese system and fear people sent over will not get a fair trial.

The anti-extradition Bill has been declared “dead” by Mrs Lam, who suspended it indefinitely but failed to successfully reassure the people that the government has no plans to bring it back.

Protesters’ anger grew over what they felt was the government’s inaction in the last three months, compounded by allegations of excessive use of force by the police.

What started out as a protest against the Bill has blown up into an anti-government movement that has often seen violent clashes between demonstrators and the police.

Protesters have five demands: a complete withdrawal of the Bill, an inquiry into alleged use of excessive force by the police, removal of the “riot” label on the June 12 protest, the release of all protesters arrested, and the implementation of universal suffrage.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

Modi defends citizenship decision

PM Modi says it has nothing to do with Indian Muslims. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, that unity in diversity is integral to India while addressing ‘Aabhar Rally’ at Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan today to kick start Bharatiya Janata Party’s Delhi Assembly Elections campaign slated for early next year, amid protests in Delhi and all over the country against the contentious Citizenship Act and the National Register of Citizenship(NRC). Modi raised slogan of ‘vividhta me ekta, Bharat ki visheshta’ (Unity in diversity is India’s speciality). PM Modi while giving his party and government’s view on CAA and NRC said, “Muslims being misled, I have always ensured that documents will never come in way of development schemes and their beneficiaries.” Citizenship law and NRC have nothing to do with Indian Muslims or with Indian citizens, he clarified. “We have never asked


By The Statesman
December 23, 2019

Politics

Rallies rage on in India over citizenship law

Thousands of students flood streets of Delhi; Assam state sees five protesters shot dead. Thousands of university students flooded the streets of India’s capital yesterday, while a southern state government led a march and demonstrators held a silent protest in the north-east, to protest against a new law giving citizenship to non-Muslims who entered India illegally to flee religious persecution in several neighbouring countries. The protests in New Delhi followed a night of violent clashes between the police and demonstrators at Jamia Millia Islamia University. People who student organisers said were not students set three buses on fire and the police stormed the university library, firing tear gas at students crouched under desks. Members of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party said opposition parties were using th


By The Straits Times
December 17, 2019

Politics

Japan: Koizumi offers no concrete plan on coal

The new environment minister needs to offer better ways to tackle climate change.  During a ministerial meeting of the U.N. climate summit in Madrid on Wednesday, Shinjiro Koizumi, the Environment Minister did not express concrete steps for reducing coal-fired thermal power generation. Environment Minister Shinjiro Koizumi did not express concrete steps for reducing coal-fired thermal power generation, for which construction of new plants is currently underway in Japan, during a ministerial meeting of the U.N. climate summit in Madrid on Wednesday. “I am afraid I cannot share new development on our coal policy today,” Koizumi said at the ongoing 25th Conference of the Parties to the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate


By The Japan News
December 13, 2019

Politics

Power transition after Apec summit

Mahathir open to stepping down after APEC summit. Dr Mahathir Mohamad, the world’s oldest prime minister, has promised to hand over power to anointed successor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim in spite of new sexual assault allegations against him. Dr Mahathir, 94, said he would not hand over before a summit of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) countries that Malaysia is to host in November 2020, but could be ready after that. “I made a promise to hand over and I will, accepting that I thought that a change immediately before the Apec summit would be disruptive. “As far as I’m concerned, I’m stepping down and I’m handing the baton to him (Anwar). If people don’t want him, that is their business, but I will do my part of the promise… irrespective of whatever allegation. I made my promise, I keep my promise, ” he said in an interview w


By The Star
December 11, 2019

Politics

Communist Party of China calls for efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up

Political Bureau stresses importance of winning three critical battles in 2020. The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee called on Friday for solid efforts to deepen reform and expand opening-up, amid tensions in the external environment, to ensure that the goal of building a moderately prosperous society in all respects will be attained next year. The general trend of China’s economy in maintaining stable and long-term positive operation remains unchanged, according to a statement released after the bureau’s meeting, presided over by Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee. China will keep its economic growth within a reasonable range in 2020, with more “forwarding-looking, targeted and effective” policies, the statement said. The nation will pursue a policy framework that allows macro policies to be stable, micro policies


By Esther Ng
December 9, 2019

Politics

Najib to take the stand today

The former premier is accused of malfeasance. Today is the day that Malaysians will see, for the first in the country’s history, a former prime minister take the stand to answer charges against him in a court of law. Datuk Seri Najib Razak (pic), 66, will testify from the witness box as the first defence witness to rebut his seven charges of misappropriating RM42mil in SRC International Sdn Bhd funds before High Court Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali. According to his co-counsel Harvinderjit Singh, Najib will be called as the first witness on the opening day of the defence’s proceedings. Najib will be first questioned by his defence during examination-in-chief before being cross-examined by the prosecution. On Nov 11, Justice Mohd Nazlan ordered Najib to enter his defence on three counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT), three charges of money laundering and on


By The Star
December 3, 2019