See More on Facebook

Current affairs

Thousands take to the streets in HK to defy mask ban; tear gas fired after protests turn violent

Protesters took to the streets of Hong Kong on a soggy Sunday (October 6) in defiance of the face mask ban but the largely peaceful marches descended into clashes with police later in the day.


Written by

Updated: October 7, 2019

Protesters took to the streets on a soggy Sunday (Oct 6) in defiance of a face mask ban but largely peaceful marches descended into clashes with police later in the day.

The ban on using face masks in public assemblies, which came into effect on Saturday, was enacted using colonial-era emergency legislation, and those in breach face up to a year in prison.

Amid a steady downpour, thousands marched from the Causeway Bay shopping district on Hong Kong Island to the central business district, as a similar march took place across the harbour in the Tsim Sha Tsui area.

While many protesters wore surgical or plain black masks, some were more creative, wearing masks of Guy Fawkes, made popular by the movie V For Vendetta, and comics character The Joker.

Many were also chanting a new slogan, “Hong Kongers, revolt”, a change from the usual refrain of “Hong Kongers, come on!”.

After several hours of marching in the rain, some protesters started hurling bricks into the police headquarters from a flyover in Wan Chai, prompting officers to respond with volleys of tear gas from the building’s back entrance and roof.

Several rounds of tear gas were also fired at a group of protesters at Hennessy Road who were throwing bricks and Molotov cocktails at riot police. Similar scenes were also repeated on the Kowloon peninsula as police tried to disperse protesters, saying they were participating in unlawful assemblies.

Several black-clad protesters were subdued by riot police in Wan Chai as well as Causeway Bay, according to TV footage.

During the clashes, a television journalist from RTHK was hurt by a Molotov cocktail when his poncho caught fire, the public broadcaster said, adding that he was being treated for burns in a hospital.

Violence also broke out in Sham Shui Po, where a man, believed to be a taxi driver, was beaten up by a group of protesters after being dragged out of his vehicle, broadcaster RTHK reported. The man suffered head injuries. It was not clear what had happened before the assault.

The Hospital Authority said that as of 7pm, four people had been taken to hospital as a result of Sunday’s activities, with three in serious condition.

As night fell, some gathered close to the People’s Liberation Army barracks in Kowloon Tong where they shone laser pointers at the building.

In the first direct interaction between the PAL and protesters, troops raised a yellow flag with the arrest warning, Reuters reported.

“Warning, you are in breach of the law. You may be prosecuted”, the banner in English and Chinese says. It is similar to those Hong Kong police use in dispersal operations.

While the Chinese military maintains a garrison in the city, the troops cannot act unless help is requested by the Hong Kong government.

Continuing from Saturday’s lockdown, malls and shops around the city, including Sogo department store, Fashion Walk and World Trade Centre in Causeway Bay as well as the IFC mall in Central, remained closed on Sunday. Sogo was the starting point for Sunday’s march.

The city is now in its 18th week of unrest after what began as protests against a contentious extradition Bill evolved into anti-government protests calling for greater democracy. While the Bill has now been withdrawn, protesters continue to demand the right to elect their own leaders, with their latest demand being the right to wear masks.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam said the ban was a means to bring an end to the unrest, but tensions have soared since the ban was announced on Friday.

The government condemned the actions of what it called “masked rioters”, adding that the face mask ban was aimed at de-escalating the violence and chaos, warning Hong Kongers not to test the law.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Current affairs

Why Hong Kong residents turned out in record numbers to vote

Many say events of past 5 months galvanised their desire to exercise their democratic right. Amid mild autumn weather and under a clear blue sky in Lek Yuen, the oldest public housing estate in Hong Kong’s Sha Tin, a snaking queue formed outside the community hall shortly after dawn yesterday. It was the constituency’s polling station of the day, and hundreds were in the line before the opening time of 7.30am to vote for their district councillor, one of the lowest rungs of Hong Kong’s elected offices. The scene was repeated across the territory’s 18 districts, where nearly three million people showed up to vote in elections that are usually a quiet affair, with chosen officials confined to dealing with noise complaints and local infrastructure improvement projects. The officials, however, also represent 117 of the 1,200-strong Election Committee that chooses the city̵


By The Straits Times
November 25, 2019

Current affairs

Nearly 1,000 China nationals nabbed in Malaysia

They are believed to be online scam workers. Malaysian authorities have nabbed nearly 1,000 China nationals who were believed to be working in the country with an online scam syndicate, local media reported. The bust on Wednesday (Nov 20) by the Immigration Department in Cyberjaya was the biggest conducted this year, Bernama news agency said. On its Facebook, department said the raid was conducted at the syndicate’s headquarters in Cyberjaya. Immigration director-general Khairul Dzaimee Daud said the syndicate was operating from a six-storey building in Cyberjaya, a high-technology zone located about an hour south of Kuala Lumpur. The raid was the end result of a month’s worth of surveillance, following complaints from the public. The office was well secured, with guards stationed at each floor and rooms only being accessible with access cards, The Star reported.


By The Straits Times
November 22, 2019

Current affairs

MH17 probe releases new phone calls linking suspects to top Russians

With contributions by AFP. A Dutch-led probe into the shooting-down of flight MH17 over Ukraine in 2014 released new intercepted phone calls on Thursday (Nov 14) between high-ranking Russian officials and suspects facing trial over the crash. Investigators said they were making a “new witness appeal” based on “recorded telephone calls between the leaders of the DPR (Donetsk People’s Republic, a separatist group) and high-ranking Russian officials.” “Ties between Russian officials and DPR leaders appear to have been much closer” than originally believed, Mr Andy Kraag, the head of Dutch police’s Criminal Investigations Division, said in a video statement. Investigators said in June that they were going to put three Rus


By Cod Satrusayang
November 15, 2019

Current affairs

Five years later, prosecutorial probe kicks off into Sewol ferry sinking

For some families, it is too little, too late. The Supreme Prosecutors’ Office on Monday launched a special investigation unit to probe allegations surrounding the sinking of the Sewol ferry in 2014. During a press briefing at the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office, the unit said it is “committed to making its probe so thorough that it will be the last one to be conducted into the Sewol sinking.” The unit will take on investigations conducted by a provisional state commission formed in January 2015 with a fact-finding mission on the Sewol case. This is the prosecution’s first organized effort concerning the disaster from over five years ago. On April 16, 2014, the 6,825-ton ferry with a passenger capacity of 921 sank off the coast of South Jeolla Province en route to Jeju Island, killing over 300 people, mostly children. The 18-member prosecution unit is headed by


By The Korea Herald
November 12, 2019

Current affairs

Ayodhya verdict is silent on why Muslims must prove exclusive possession of site

The Indian court has deprived Muslims of the disputed plot because they couldn’t show exclusive possession before 1857. On page 215 of the Ayodhya-Babri Masjid verdict, delivered by a five-judge bench on Saturday, the Supreme Court makes a crucial statement of logic: “It is true that in matters of faith and belief, the absence of evidence may not be evidence of absence.” But in its final findings, the court contradicted this same logic. The crux of the judgment that India has awaited since 1949 is that Muslims failed to show unimpeded possession of the disputed site in Ayodhya between 1528, when the mosque was supposedly built by Mughal emperor Babur, and 1857, when, after a clash between Muslims and Hindus, a railing was erected between the inner and outer courtyards at the disputed site. The inner courtyard is where the mosque demolished by Hindutva mobs in 1992 stood. The outer courtyard has se


By Dawn
November 12, 2019

Current affairs

Bangladesh War Crimes trial: 29 cases still pending with the top court

Many of the defendants are part of militant groups. Some 29 appeals filed by the convicted war criminals against their death sentences are still pending with the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court. The division has so far disposed of only eight such appeals, including the one filed by ATM Azharul Islam, in the last six years. Two appeals filed by former Jamaat-e-Islami ameer Ghulam Azam and former BNP minister Abdul Alim against their jail sentences have been declared “abated” by the apex court as they died while their appeals were pending with this court. An amendment to the International Crimes (Tribunals) Act- 1979 in February 2013, making a provision for disposing of appeals against the sentences in 60 days, raised the hope that the SC would quickly deliver the judgments. But the hope died down when the legal experts, including the then l


By Daily Star
November 1, 2019