See More on Facebook

Politics

Six wounded as knife attack caps day of Hong Kong political chaos

Another weekend, another protest in Hong Kong with violence perpetrated by alleged triads against demonstrators.


Written by

Updated: November 4, 2019

A man went on a knife rampage in Hong Kong late Sunday (Nov 3) leaving at least six people wounded, including a local pro-democracy politician who had his ear bitten off, capping another chaotic day of political unrest in the city.

Flash-mob rallies erupted inside multiple shopping centres across the international finance hub over the afternoon, sparking frequent clashes with riot police.

The violence was less sustained than Saturday when police and protesters fought hours of cat and mouse battles after thousands took the streets for an unsanctioned march.

But the day ended with a knife attack taking place outside a shopping mall in Tai Koo Shing, a middle-class neighbourhood on the main island where protesters had gathered for much of the afternoon.

Eye-witnesses told local media that a Mandarin-speaking man attacked people shortly after shouting pro-Beijing slogans.

Live footage showed Andrew Chiu, a local pro-democracy councillor, had his ear bitten off after trying to subdue the attacker, while a second man was seen unconscious in a growing pool of blood as bystanders desperately tried to stem wounds to his back.

The alleged assailant, wearing a grey t-shirt, was then beaten bloody by the crowd.

Police told AFP that six people in total were wounded – four men and two women – and that three people were arrested, without detailing whether the alleged attacker was among those counted as injured.

Masked protesters returned on Sunday afternoon following clashes with police in several Hong Kong districts a day earlier that resulted in more than 200 people arrested and at least 54 injured.

Protesters gathered in seven districts on Sunday afternoon, heeding online calls for people to take to the streets to protest against alleged police brutality, local broadcaster RTHK reported.

At New Town Plaza shopping centre in the New Territories town of Sha Tin, some protesters targeted facilities at the Sha Tin MTR station connected to the mall.

Using fire extinguishers, the protesters vandalised turnstiles and smashed up glass panes of a customer service centre at the station. Within minutes, the protesters fled to other floors of the mall. Some protesters also threw objects from height at police officers who arrived at the scene, said police in a statement.

Police fired pepper spray at a number of people at the mall and arrests were made. They also subdued several people outside Sha Tin Town Hall, RTHK reported.

At Trend Plaza in Tuen Mun, another town in the New Territories, a large group of masked protesters vandalised and threw paint at shops at the mall. Protesters also blocked the main exits of the shopping centre with umbrellas and cable ties, said police in a statement.

Meanwhile, people who gathered at Tamar Park in Admiralty earlier in the afternoon were cleared out by police who said that the park was closed due to concerns of an illegal assembly there, local broadcaster TVB reported.

Hong Kong has been mired in five months of escalating protests that are showing no signs of abating. Protesters are angry at perceived Chinese meddling with Hong Kong’s freedoms since the city returned from British to Chinese rule in 1997, a charge which China denies.

On Sunday morning, cleaners swept up broken glass at the Hong Kong office of China’s official news agency Xinhua, one of the buildings vandalised in a violent day of protests which also saw activists hurl petrol bombs and set fire to metro stations.

While protesters have previously vandalised buildings of mainland Chinese companies or those perceived as pro-Beijing, the targeting of Xinhua is one of the most direct challenges to Beijing yet. Protesters daubed China’s Liaison Office, the key symbol of Chinese sovereignty, with graffiti in July.

Xinhua condemned the attack by what it said were “barbaric thugs” who broke doors and security systems and threw fire and paint bombs into the lobby.

“The practice of the black rioters once again shows that ‘stopping the violence and restoring order’ is Hong Kong’s most important and urgent task at present,” a spokesman for Xinhua said in a Facebook post.

Chinese state media, including the official People’s Daily, have condemned the vandalism, saying that it was an attack on laws that protect press freedom. The newspaper also said that the attack had crossed the bottom line of any civilised country, RTHK reported.

In an editorial, the Communist Party tabloid, Global Times, said the vandalising of Xinhua’s Hong Kong office shows a new escalation in violence and destruction on the island.

It said that Xinhua’s Hong Kong branch, founded in 1947, is not an ordinary news agency as it had unique contributions in the process of Hong Kong’s return to China.

“Due to the symbolic image of Xinhua, the vandalising of its branch is not only a provocation to the rule of law in Hong Kong, but also to the central government and the Chinese mainland, which is the rioters’ main purpose,” said Global Times.

When Reuters visited the building housing the Xinhua news agency on Sunday, a handful of cleaners could be seen through shattered glass doors and windows sweeping the floor, watched over by staff members speaking on their phones.

Outside, some tourists and other media curiously eyed the destruction.

GREATER BAY AREA

Meanwhile, Hong Kong chief executive Carrie Lam will discuss how to make it easier for Hongkongers to live and work on the mainland, her office said on Sunday.

Mrs Lam will arrive in Beijing on Tuesday for a meeting the next day of the “leading group” for developing the Greater Bay Area of southern China. She will meet Chinese Vice-Premier Han Zheng, who leads the Leading Group for the Development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area.

The group has already met twice, “endorsing a number of measures to facilitate Hong Kong people to develop, work and reside in the mainland cities of the Greater Bay Area, as well as strengthen the convenient flow of people and goods”, her office said.

The idea was to attract “high-end talent” from Hong Kong with tax breaks and encourage “innovation and entrepreneurship” from young people in Hong Kong and Macau.

Mrs Lam has promoted the Greater Bay Area as a way to provide jobs for people in Hong Kong and ease social tension.

“After everything has been settled (in Hong Kong), the country (China) will be there to help with maybe positive measures, especially in the Greater Bay Area,” Mrs Lam told business people in Hong Kong in August.

The megalopolis of the Greater Bay Area is made up of nine mainland cities, including Guangzhou, Zhuhai and Shenzhen, and the two special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macau, a former Portuguese-run enclave that returned to China in 1999.

An increasing number of Hong Kong people are already moving outside the densely populated financial hub – one of the world’s most expensive cities – to the mainland.

MORE THAN 200 ARRESTED

Over the weekend, cat-and-mouse clashes between riot police and protesters continued into the early hours of Sunday morning after police broke up an assembly of thousands on Saturday afternoon by firing tear gas into a park.

Hong Kong police said they had arrested more than 200 people overnight for offences including unlawful assembly, possession of offensive weapons, criminal damage, and wearing masks which is now illegal under a revived colonial-era emergency law.

Police fired tear gas, rubber bullets and deployed a water cannon at protesters during Saturday and early Sunday, they said, as the violence spilled from Hong Kong island across the water to the northern Kowloon side.

In addition, the Organised Crime and Triad Bureau arrested four men and a woman on Saturday for possession of offensive weapon. Officers also seized weapons including 188 petrol bombs, several extendable batons and pepper sprays, police said in a statement.

The Hospital Authority said that 54 people sustained injuries during the protests, with one seriously injured, TVB reported.

With additional reporting from Reuters, Bloomberg, Agence France-Presse



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

China pledges international pandemic aid

 Producers of medical goods urged to meet demand from affected countries. China has pledged to do its best to offer aid to countries and international organisations affected by COVID-19 to help contain the outbreak, and businesses are being urged to boost production of epidemic prevention materials to meet demand from abroad. The announcement was made at a meeting of the leading group of China’s coronavirus response, chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday. Relevant departments and local authorities must step up co-ordination to closely monitor and analyse the quick spread of the outbreak outside China and roll out more targeted measures to prevent the import and export of infection, the group said in a statement. It is important to further


By China Daily
March 13, 2020

Politics

Back to work in Beijing, with tough measures in place

 Mandatory quarantine for those coming from overseas; some Wuhan businesses may reopen. As most of China attempts to return to normalcy after an extensive lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the capital Beijing has been carefully trying to strike a balance between having people restart work while also trying to keep out imported infections, and yesterday ordered a mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals. This comes as the Hubei government announced that some businesses in Wuhan, the outbreak’s epicentre, would gradually be allowed to reopen. On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan, his first visit to the city since the outbreak, a sign that the crisis could finally be easing after the government’s toug


By The Straits Times
March 12, 2020

Politics

Xi vows victory over coronavirus in Wuhan

President expresses condolences to families of people who died in epidemic. President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday that prevention and control of the novel coronavirus outbreak remains the top priority and most important task, even amid the recent positive signs. Xi, who is also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remark during his inspection tour in the outbreak’s epicentre, Wuhan, capital of Hubei province. The spread of the novel coronavirus has been basically curbed in Hubei and Wuhan, Xi said, adding that initial success has been made in stabilising the situation and turning the tide in Hubei and Wuhan. Xi encouraged local residents and front-line worke


By China Daily
March 11, 2020

Politics

China sets example in fighting virus

Epidemic reveals inadequacies in global governance; Beijing says it’s ready to help. China’s response to novel coronavirus pneumonia has set an example for the world in coping with the contagion and offered experience in advancing global public health governance, officials and experts said. The COVID-19 outbreak has also raised the alarm about global public health security and reminded countries that co-operation and co-ordination are needed to deal with challenges as infectious diseases can rapidly escalate into global emergencies, they said. There is a growing positive momentum in epidemic control nationwide thanks to the “comprehensive, thorough and rigorous” measures that China has taken to contain the virus, they said, noting that the daily


By China Daily
March 10, 2020

Politics

More than 800,000 people return Beijing under quarantine

“There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. About 827,000 people who came back to Beijing from outside the city are still in a 14-day quarantine to see if they had been infected with the novel coronavirus, an official said on Friday. “There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. Z


By China Daily
March 9, 2020

Politics

South Korea declares third city as special care zone as cases spike

President Moon receives letter of support from North Korean leader as infected cases cross 6,000. South Korea has declared a third city a “special care zone” to boost its capability to fight a spike in coronavirus infections, with cases nationwide soaring beyond 6,000. The death toll stands at 42, mostly the elderly with underlying health conditions, while 88 people have recovered, including 47 discharged yesterday. The care zone announcement came as the presidential Blue House revealed that South Korean President Moon Jae-in received a letter on Wednesday from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressing support and comfort to the people battling the coronavirus outbreak, adding that he is confident they will “prevail in this fight wit


By The Straits Times
March 6, 2020