See More on Facebook

Business

Son defiant as investments in new firms jolt SoftBank

By Tomofumi Yonezawa and Ryosuke Terunuma / Yomiuri Shimbun Staff Writers.


Written by

Updated: November 8, 2019

SoftBank Group Corp. Chairman Masayoshi Son took huge losses caused by investments in start-up companies on the chin, but he remains bullish about the future.

“No excuses. I’m reflecting on this,” Son said Wednesday at the start of a press conference in Tokyo after the company reported interim consolidated business results that showed operating profit in the business period ending in September had tumbled into the red for the first time in 15 years. This was due to big losses in SoftBank’s investment business, which has expanded in recent years. SoftBank’s results could even have an impact on global investment trends in start-up companies dubbed “unicorns.”

Son wore a solemn expression during the press conference, and he used the word “hansei,” which refers to reflecting on one’s past actions, at least 10 times. SoftBank booked a loss of more than ¥570 billion in its investment business. As slides projected on the stage showed an image of large waves swirling in the ocean, Son said, “It’s like a typhoon or a big storm.”

A major factor in the group’s operating loss was a loss sustained by The We Company, operator of the U.S. shared workspace provider WeWork. Members can freely use WeWork offices operating in many countries.

Son was instrumental in SoftBank’s investment in this company. SoftBank and SoftBank Vision Fund together poured about ¥1 trillion into WeWork.

However, The We Company’s debts piled up for reasons including increased capital investment costs for new buildings. Furthermore, revelations surfaced about questionable business practices engaged in by founder Adam Neumann, on whom Son had been pinning his hopes. The value of SoftBank Vision Fund’s investment in the company plunged from $4 billion (about ¥430 billion) as of the end of June to $1 billion.

“I overvalued the company, and there were some governance issues that overestimated the founder,” Son said. Consequently, SoftBank Group’s business performance quickly deteriorated in the July-September quarter, and it posted a net loss of ¥700.1 billion, compared with a ¥526.4 billion profit in the same period last year.

Earlier successes

Despite these numbers, Son remained bullish about rebuilding WeWork and his company’s future investment strategy.

His confidence stems from the success story of SoftBank’s 2000 investment in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. SoftBank’s initial holding was worth about ¥2 billion, but that has expanded to about ¥13 trillion now. In its latest earnings report, its Alibaba-related profit was enough to keep net profit in the black.

In the early half of the first decade of the 2000s, SoftBank was pushed to the brink of collapse by its telecommunications business. However, the company managed to rebuild itself. At the press conference, Son was confident he could pull off a similar result with WeWork. “SoftBank has done difficult rebuilds many times,” Son said.

There also is speculation that some of SoftBank’s other investments are failing to fire. SoftBank has invested, albeit on a smaller scale than it has in WeWork, in companies such as the U.S. dog-walking service Wag Labs, Inc. and South Korean online retailer Coupang. As of the end of September, SoftBank Group’s interest-bearing debt had climbed to ¥7.58 trillion.

Major banks also are keeping a close eye on SoftBank’s moves. These banks increased their financing to the group, which maintained a strong appetite for investments at a time when domestic demand for funds has been lukewarm. Mizuho Bank, SoftBank’s main bank, also is deepening its ties with the company, as indicated by its willingness to provide up to $500 million for a second Vision Fund.

There are mounting concerns SoftBank could struggle to raise funds due to its massive investment losses, but Son remained undeterred. While admitting the latest earnings were “terrible,” he said they “would not significantly affect” the company’s investment strategy. “We won’t change our strategy. We’ll just quietly keep moving forward,” Son said.

Even so, major banks are cautious. “We’re on guard against any impact that might arise if an investment doesn’t go well,” a senior official at one such bank said.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Japan News
About the Author: The Japan News is published by The Yomiuri Shimbun, which boasts the largest circulation in the world.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business

North Korea beefs up self-defense capabilities in military reorganization

The North have been making many changes ahead of talks. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un presided over a meeting of the top military decision-making body to accelerate the development of self-defense capabilities ahead of key events that will decide its national strategy, its state media reported Sunday. Discussions on ways to bolster its military capabilities through organizational restructuring and personnel reshuffle were highlighted during the third expanded meeting of the seventh central military commission of the ruling Workers’ Party. Details on what measures were discussed were not disclosed. “At the meeting, Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un


By The Korea Herald
December 23, 2019

Business

Biegun arrives in Seoul amid deadlock in NK-US nuclear talks

Pyongyang says it conducted “another crucial test” at Sohae site. US Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun arrived in Seoul on Sunday for a “close coordination” with allies amid the deadlock in the denuclearization talks with Pyongyang just weeks before the communist regime’s year-end deadline. A day before, North Korea issued statements to announce that it had carried out “another crucial test” at a satellite launching site, warning the United States to “hold off” any action to “rattle” the regime. During his three-day trip here, the US special envoy is expected to meet with officials here to discuss on the


By The Korea Herald
December 16, 2019

Business

US warns N. Korea against ‘ill-advised’ action

North Korean threats unlikely to succeed in bringing the US to the table. A top US diplomat warned North Korea on Thursday against taking any “ill-advised” action in light of its veiled threats to resume nuclear and long-range missile tests. David Stilwell, US assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs, made the remark as North Korea has threatened to take a “new way” unless the US offers concessions in their stalled denuclearization negotiations before the end of the year. Washington has urged Pyongyang to stick to its commitment to cease nuclear and long-range missile tests, saying they would be count


By The Korea Herald
December 13, 2019

Business

Trump urges passage of defense bill with provision against troop drawdown in S. Korea

Trump has previously asked Korea to pay its fair share to keep US troops on the peninsula. US President Donald Trump on Wednesday urged Congress to pass a defense bill containing a provision restricting the drawdown of American troops in South Korea. On Monday, the House and Senate Armed Services Committees agreed on the final version of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020, which authorizes funding for the Department of Defense. According to the accompanying conference report, the new bill restricts the use of funds for removing troops from South Korea, an issue that has drawn intense scrutiny amid contentious cost-sharing negotiations between Seoul and Washington.


By The Korea Herald
December 12, 2019

Business

Pompeo says US is hopeful N. Korea will refrain from nuclear, long-range missile tests

Both sides are hopeful of continued talks. The United States is hopeful North Korea will continue to refrain from nuclear tests and long-range missile tests, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday, after Pyongyang said it had conducted a “very important” test over the weekend. North Korea said the test occurred at its Dongchang-ri satellite launch site on Saturday, raising tensions ahead of a year-end deadline North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has imposed for the US to show flexibility in their negotiations on dismantling Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program. “Chairman Kim personally made the commitment to denuclearize, said there wouldn’t be long-range missile tests, nuclear tests,” Pompeo said at a joint press conference with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov at the State Department.


By The Korea Herald
December 11, 2019

Business

Hundreds of thousands take part in massive Hong Kong march

Police seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. HONG KONG – Hundreds of thousands braved the chilly weather in Hong Kong to join a massive and largely peaceful march on Sunday afternoon (Dec 8) hours after police, in a crackdown on the main island, seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration. Sunday’s march to mark Human Rights Day drew a crowd of 800,000, said the Civil Human Rights Front, the organiser behind the biggest protests in the city. The event was a sign of the level of support for the anti-government movement that has stretched for more than six months. The march, which began around 3pm, went on smoothly but tensions notched up at night when hundreds of protesters in face masks and helmets started building barricades in areas such as Central and Causeway Bay to slow down


By The Straits Times
December 9, 2019