See More on Facebook

News, Politics

Hong Kong police shoot protester during morning clashes

The shooting is the second incident in as many months where live ammunition was used.


Written by

Updated: November 11, 2019

Hong Kong police fired at least two live shots at protesters during early morning clashes on Monday (Nov 11), live broadcast footage showed.

The incident happened after 7am in the Sai Wan Ho district east of Hong Kong’s main island, where protesters had heeded a call to block roads and build barricades.

Footage showed a police officer drawing his sidearm as he tried to detain a masked man at a road junction that had been blocked by protesters.

Another masked man then approached the officer and was apparently shot in the chest area, quickly falling to the ground, clutching his left side. Some reports said he was shot in the abdomen. His condition was not clear.

Seconds later, two more live rounds were fired by the officer during a scuffle and another masked man went to the ground, although the footage was less clear as to whether he was struck.

Police could later be seen detaining the two men on the ground. The first man had a pool of blood next to him, his body limp as officers moved him around and apparently tried to tie his hands. The second man was conscious and talking.

A police source, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed to AFP that live rounds were fired at more than one protester in Sai Wan Ho and that a statement would be issued.

Local broadcaster RTHK said a live video posted by ‘Cupid News’ showed at least one protester shot at close range. Police had fired three shots.

HK01 reported that at around 7.30am, police cordoned off the main roads in Sai Wan Ho after firing two shots which hit two individuals.

The protesters in Sai Wan Ho were among the various groups across the city who sought to disrupt traffic as part of a planned strike on Monday, crippling multiple MTR lines and affecting major roads.

At about 7.45am, police had also fired tear gas and rubber bullets in the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology after facing off with protesters who had built barricades in the school.

Similar scenes were also unfolding in Hong Kong Polytechnic University in Hung Hom. Protesters have blocked off Hong Chong Road next to the university, which leads to the busy Cross Harbour Tunnel linking Kowloon to Hong Kong Island. Traffic is backed up all the way across Hong Kong Island to Aberdeen in the south.

Train services have been suspended at multiple stations, including Tung Chung, Whampoa, all stations between Tai Wai and Shek Mun. There are no services between Fo Tan and Lok Ma Chau on the east rail, some light rails have been delayed and there was a fire in Kwai Fong station.

Local media reported massive queues and long delays in various stations.

The Labour Department on Monday urged employers to have flexible work arrangements for staff given the situation, while police said in a statement it is moving to clear the protesters.

The police said radicals blocked the Cross Harbour Tunnel at Hung Hom towards Hong Kong Island direction, Tate’s Cairn Tunnel at Shatin towards Diamond Hill direction and at Tuen Mun Road near Castle Peak Road towards Kowloon direction.

The call for a strike and class boycott comes after a day of angry clashes in the New Territories and Kowloon. The confrontations lasted into the small hours of Monday morning in Mong Kok, where police even deployed a water cannon.

Police said as at 11.30pm on Sunday, 88 people were arrested for offences including unlawful assembly, possession of offensive weapon, criminal damage, and using facial covering while at an unlawful assembly.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News, Politics

Coronavirus: 2 new cases confirmed; 4 more, including private hospital doctor, discharged

 Two patients from the Grace Assembly of God cluster, cases 49 and 73, were also discharged.  Two new cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) were confirmed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Wednesday (Feb 26) and four others have recovered and were discharged. This brings the total number of cases here to 93, of which 62 have fully recovered. Case 59, the private hospital doctor, was among the four discharged. The 61-year-old Singaporean was confirmed to have the virus on Feb 13 and had been warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases. He is not linked to any of the five known clusters but is a non-medical contact of case 72, a 40-year-old man from China who holds a Singapore work pass. Case 56, a Banglad


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

News, Politics

Japan provides protective gear for use in battling coronavirus

 The government of Japan has given personal protective supplies to the Ministry of Health to help medical staff if they are required to care for people infected with the coronavirus. The items were handed over at the Ministry of Health on Tuesday by the Ambassador of Japan to Laos, Mr Takewaka Keizo, to Minister of Health Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong Syhavong. The supplies comprised 4,680 isolation gowns, 6,100 gloves, 6,000 N95 masks, 13,200 surgical masks, 27 goggles, and 240 bottles of alcohol hand rub. Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong thanked the government of Japan for its assistance, saying “On behalf of Laos, we would like to express our appreciation to the government of Japan for its continuing support to our country.” The ministry has been st


By Vientiane Times
February 27, 2020

News, Politics

Hong Kong govt records first deficit in 15 years amid economic slump

Budget includes US$1,200 handout to each resident aged 18 and above, low-interest loans for small firms and tax cuts. Slammed by a perfect storm of trade war, prolonged unrest and coronavirus outbreak, Hong Kong’s already frail economy is likely to remain in a slump in the year ahead, even as the government carves out a more than HK$120 billion (S$22 billion) stimulus package with a generous cash handout to aid industries and individuals. In his budget delivery yesterday, Financial Secretary Paul Chan expressed hope that once the Covid-19 outbreak blows over, the economy will bounce back. Pending approval from Parliament – or the Legislative Council – Mr Chan said he would disburse HK$10,000 (S$1,800) to each Hong Kong permanent reside


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

News, Politics

EDITORIAL: Final battle between Anwar and Dr Mahathir

The ongoing political crisis is seen as the ultimate battle between Anwar and Dr Mahathir as the 8th Prime Minister of Malaysia. The ongoing political crisis for the last few days is believed to end soon once the king decides after meeting all members of parliament. A total of 222 members of parliament have expressed their stand to the king. Voters would also figure out that the stand of the elected representatives picked by them during last elections. Voters witness political parties keep changing their stand. Each party is gauging the stand that would best fit its political interests. They are judged by voters based on the reasons cited to save the country. We need to have a new government to run the country and the current situation should not be


By Sin Chew Daily
February 27, 2020

News, Politics

Lao Airlines to suspend flights to South Korea

Laos’ national airline, the Lao Airlines State Enterprise, will suspend flights to the Republic of Korea beginning in March after a large number of passengers cancelled their bookings amid the coronavirus outbreak. Director of the airline’s Commercial Department, Mr Noudeng Chanthaphasouk, told Vientiane Times that a flight from Vientiane to Seoul did not depart on Tuesday because all the passengers cancelled their reservations. “We have very few passengers on the Vientiane to Seoul flight. We have to fly back to Vientiane empty because many Koreans have stopped travelling overseas since the outbreak of Covid-19 in China,” he added. “Meanwhile, we fly from Vientiane to Seoul once daily and have to bear the high cost of flying empty,


By Vientiane Times
February 26, 2020

News, Politics

Xi’s diplomacy bolsters epidemic fight

Phone talks, meetings with foreign leaders boost international confidence. China’s active, open and transparent co-operation with the World Health Organization and relevant countries in responding to the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak has demonstrated that it shoulders its responsibility as a major international player in helping the world curb the contagion, experts said. The outbreak has also given prominence to the value of President Xi Jinping’s vision on building a community with a shared future for mankind as the international community needs to work together to eliminate the threat of the disease in order to uphold global public health security, they said. Speaking on Sunday during a videoconference on coordinating epidemic control and


By China Daily
February 26, 2020